Russian Alfa Class

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    Most common rule is propeller diameter = brushed motor can diameter.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Another question on my Alfa 1:96 scale build!

What size drive motor (propulsion) in a brushed motor, (I am using 3s 11.1volt lipo battery) would be recommended?

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    For drawing in water, I do not think it makes a difference. I place my inlet near the bottom to allow draining on the bench, but it depends on if that makes the most sense with all the other devices. Sometimes in the center just is easier for piping. The thing that is important is the inlet needs to be large enough to move the water the piston pushes. In other words, if it ia too small the piston will push, but there will be a lot of resistance because the water cannot get out quick enough.This will cause the motor to work harder than it needs to.
    If I understand you correctly Tom, it's more important that the inlet/outlet opening is large enough to move the water in and out to create less resistance than where the opening is located!? I understand your point!
    I think I will leave the opening where it is located (center of tank) at this point. I will install a fitting that will give me at least a full 1/4" ID for water movement!

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your expertise!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    For drawing in water, I do not think it makes a difference. I place my inlet near the bottom to allow draining on the bench, but it depends on if that makes the most sense with all the other devices. Sometimes in the center just is easier for piping. The thing that is important is the inlet needs to be large enough to move the water the piston pushes. In other words, if it ia too small the piston will push, but there will be a lot of resistance because the water cannot get out quick enough.This will cause the motor to work harder than it needs to.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have another question?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Piston inlet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	153498

Does it make any difference if the water inlet is in the center of piston tank or if it is located near the bottom of the tank! I have seen some tanks where the water inlet/outlet is located nearer the bottom of the tank! Just don't know if it would draw in more water from the bottom or if it does not make any difference!? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-16-2021, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-170559_Chrome.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	153465
    Thanks Romel,

Great information! I will make a copy of this and use it from now on! May go back in and edit the two videos I just posted! Thanks again for the help!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-170559_Chrome.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	153465

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Here are the two YouTube videos that I have up on the operation of the piston tank! Videos showing the water in and out operation!

This video show the testing of the piston system for the 3D printed Russian Alfa Submarine.

IMG 3857 3 - YouTube

Sorry about these videos are from my YouTube channel, I still have not figured out how to get them up on our forum!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I completed my scratch built Ballast Piston Tank for the 1:96 Scale Alfa today! As I have said before, both my Alfa boats are and experiment as far as the ballast systems go!!

Name:	Ballast T  One.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	153455Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast T 2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	153456

I will be posting a small video of the pump in operation shortly!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thanks Steve!

Still have some engineering and build work to do! Not sure if all this is going to work or not. So far so good!

Rob (Still a crazy old man)
    Subculture,

Thank you for chiming in! I see your point! I may have about 4 times the tank volume and not much more! Question: Would it be possible to install and extend a snorkel tube up and into the mast to release the air pressure from inside the WTC?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    The main thing you need to be mindful of is the volume of your main WTC in relation to tank volume. Too much pressure building up inside, and you may get leaks on the seals. Also screwjacks with vee threads are only about 10% efficient, so the system becomes inefficient if it's having to compress a lot of air. Try and ensure the WTC volume is at least around five to six times the tank volume

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    I'm liking it so far Rob...
    Thanks Steve!

Still have some engineering and build work to do! Not sure if all this is going to work or not. So far so good!

Rob (Still a crazy old man)

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    I'm liking it so far Rob...

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    OK! Back to the project at hand! The photos below are of the 1:96 scale Alfa! (As you know I have a 1:96 scale and 1:72 scale Alfa going)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	153351Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	153352

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	153353

Now before I go any further, you all know this project was going to be totally experimental for me! My plan is to design TWO different type ballast systems for both these boats! The photos are just to show the possible piston system I have in mine for the Alfa 1:96 scale. I finally got the 12V geared motors that I need for the gear system that I am designing for the 200CC syringe unit! Don't know if this is going to work or not, but I will see it through to find out! Lot more design work on the WTC to do!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-12-2021, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by jphatton

That is an excellent suggestion. Indeed the techniques and methodology to develop 3D CAD models are distinct from printing. Again it takes time to learn and experiment with different approaches to 3D modelling, particularly when modelling a complex hull shape. So a dedicated sub-forum would be very useful to exchange information.
    I agree, to a point. but I don't want to get too granular in the forums. If we extended the same thought to general modeling, we'd have sub-forums for ballast, radios, propulsion, peripherals, hulls, etc, etc, etc. We'd have fifty topics with just a few posts in each. 3D printing is general enough to catch what we need to talk about. If you do a good job of titling the thread, there will be no issues.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...