Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by neitosub
    It would work, Bob is using them on his new line of WTCs. Just make sure to use a bidirectional brushless ESC to get forward and reverse.

Nate
    Thanks Nate, I do appreciate the input!

I have never used brushless motors on any of my subs before, but I thought this might be a good way to go with this particular build.

Leave a comment:

• neitosub
    replied
    It would work, Bob is using them on his new line of WTCs. Just make sure to use a bidirectional brushless ESC to get forward and reverse.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have a question about the possible use of a brushless motor for my 1:72 scale Alfa and installing it on the stern end cap (on the outside) of the 80mm WTC? would a 750KW brushless motor be adequate for this boat? It would certainly save a lot of problems not having to go through all the shaft design and installing shaft bushing and seals!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Just when I thought I was done with the ALFA builds, well I am back onto the 1;72 scale that was also part of this blog!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 4.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	161392Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	161393

Well, this is going to be a big leap! As I stated on this blog about the 1:72 Alfa, I was going to scratch build a WTC (SD) for this boat. I have what might be another one of my big under thought goofy idea!

Name:	ALFA  BUILD 1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	161394Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	161395

I have stripped out my original 80mm WTC that was supposed to be for the Arkmodel Type VII boat. I am going to take it from a dual shaft system and convert it into a single shaft WTC. If I can make the conversion from dual to a single, I think the ballast system and the overall WTC will be a good fit for the 1:72 scale Alfa! "Another Experiment"

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RanSan
    Great job Rob! I enjoyed watching your build and the questions you asked were very helpful for those of us still learning.

As for those who comments about accuracy or realism or those with the I can do it better attitude, let them. It’s a hobby, it’s for enjoyment, it’s for learning, it’s for community and I think most of the people on this forum support that and that’s why we come back to see the work of people like you and not just the elite or self appointed elite.

Randy
    Randy,

Just seen your post! Sorry, I am so late in responding! Your words are so kind and FAR to generous. I have so much more to learn about this hobby and the ins and outs about the finishing techniques that are involved. My joy in the building and the mechanics of sub building. A lot of people enjoy making there boats look like they have been at sea for years, and I truly respect those that can achieve this look and with such realistic results. I like the look of before the effect of the elements.

Name:	P1010998.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	160634Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautilus 2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	160633

Name:	P3110004.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	160635Click image for larger version

Name:	P3130006.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	160636

I have made attempts to do a more realistic look on several of my boats. It is certainly a learning process of which I need to spend a GREAT deal more time to achieve. For now I just enjoy the hobby for what it is!

Thanks again Randy,

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RanSan
    replied
    Great job Rob! I enjoyed watching your build and the questions you asked were very helpful for those of us still learning.

As for those who comments about accuracy or realism or those with the I can do it better attitude, let them. It’s a hobby, it’s for enjoyment, it’s for learning, it’s for community and I think most of the people on this forum support that and that’s why we come back to see the work of people like you and not just the elite or self appointed elite.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Turned out really well Rob. It's a well built, good looking boat.
    Thank you Steve,

It certainly not up to par to the standards that are posted on this forum! And for sure not even close to the sophistication, design, and finish that you apply to your boats.

I know that some really don't care for how I finish out my boats, and that I do not have a true (not even close) representation of a full scale boat, but that is not my forte. And my god, would it not be a boring world if we all did it the same way?! We are all individuals and we should all build on that! "Be Yourself"

Thanks again for the compliment Steve!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-16-2022, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Turned out really well Rob. It's a well built, good looking boat.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    These are the finished photos of my Russian 1:96 Scale 3D Printed Alfa Boat!

Name:	ALFA BOAT FINISHE !.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	159991Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BOAT FINISHED 2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	159992

Name:	ALFA BOAT FINISHED 3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	159993

It was a fun build, and I am very pleased to how it turned out!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied

Sorry for the video quality!

The above is the running of the Alfa today! Not much to see, only that it does move and is operational. I am very happy with the response other than the small Alfa rudder does not have a great turning radius for my small pool. No big deal, that's how most of my subs have been in our pool.

I am very pleased with the performance, and we can now move to the finish work! As for the finish on my boat! "WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT"

Rob

NOTE: This build is complete, and I will be moving on! Thank you all for you participation and your input!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-07-2022, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I finished up the final trim work on the Alfa Sub!

Name:	ALFA WATER TEST 2.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	159726Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA WATER TEST.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	159727

I did have to add a small piece of foam to the real starboard side to bring her to level on the horizontal axis! My wife did shoot a video which I will post up soon. The 70mm WTC that I purchased from Bob (Nautilus Dry Docks) worked great. The ballast sizing for the 1:96 scale 3D printed Alfa seems to be right on the money. I set this sub not to go totally under water, but just about 3/4" up the sail. I need to put another good resin coat on the interior of the hull to seal up the PLA a little better. That is an issue with using PLA even at 100% in-fill, it will absorb some water the longer it sits in the water, and this will certainly change the balance and the ballast system.

A good interior hull seal (resin) and a few good coats of primer on the outside prior to final will take care of this issue.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I think the final use of floatation and weights is complete and the boat is just about right in the water photos tomorrow of the boat in the pool!

Name:	ALTA FINAL TRIM.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	159718Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA FINAL TRIM 3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	159719

I did make a change to my RX antenna installation. I moved it to the out side of the WTC, It was just to jammed up on the inside.

Name:	ALFA ATENNA CHANGE.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	159720

Tomorrow will be the final testing, and if all goes well we will head for the finish room!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Thanks for the info and photos Sam!

For now, I am just going to use the forward dive planes in the up/down movement only.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Sam Victory
    replied
    The Alfa submarine has a very sleek shape, which I really like. Note that its two front dive planes are staggered up and down, as this is the only way they can both retract into the hull. Many Soviet submarines had flaps on their forward diving planes, and the Alfa submarine was no exception.

V

Click image for larger version  Name:	28-4553281-705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	159677Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51116.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	159678

Akula I

Name:	07-3638223-tigr-002.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	159679

Name:	29-6220389-ngr.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	159680 Sierra I

Name:	10-5802505-0ad816b9-5ad9-4501-b145-043605207ec0.png
Views:	282
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	159681Click image for larger version

Name:	11-5803341-pl1.png
Views:	277
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	159682
    Last edited by Sam Victory; 03-04-2022, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I got a good start on trimming out the Alfa!

Name:	ALFA TRIM OUT.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	159674Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA TRIM OUT 2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	159675

I added some weigh to the bottom of the hull in order to get my CG set up correctly! Then after about 5 trips to the pool and back to the building table, and after adding foam to the upper section of the I think I just about have the boat where I want it. I most likely will be doing yet more minor adjustments tomorrow.

I have found a very good fit on my battery! It's a VENOM 11.1V/3 cell 4000 mAH 20C Lipo battery. It fits like a glove in the lower battery compartment. This battery is one that the RC Cars guys use because of the extra care that has been taken to prevent water or dampness issues.

As we have discussed on this forum and the dive tribe meeting, going overboard on any additional coverings or other forms of keeping the moisture/water out can do more harm than good! Besides if you put the time and effort in MAKING SURE your WTC dose not leak, your water issues are solved!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...