Growing The RC Submarine Hobby

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudger
    replied
    This is an awesome thread!! It covers so much about today’s culture and interest in crafting skills. I have more I want to say, but I will wait till I am at the computer not an ipad.
    Dean (newbie)​​​​​​.

Leave a comment:

• Slats
    replied
    lol - returning to hobby after 5 year break in a 25 year sub building venture.... history repeats.... nuggets of gold that have been thrashed over and over again. You don't grow the hobby by feeding the masses with RTR cheap toys - there's no longevity, or profit in that. And profit there has to be to vendors who develop, innovate and hone their wears. Else what's the point. And there is no hobby.

Re kids - up to parents - here is James - my 12 yr old - born on God's Birthday- with his first sub attempt. He's no special envoy - just had a motivated dad (me) determined to get him in the shop which will compliment the tech that's fed to him at school and by society.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_154750.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	148976

Retirees are the one's with the time to take up the hobby - but all comers are spanning it's ranks. Improving accessibility to hobby means improving / innovating products that make the hobby simpler - which is not necessarily compatible with millennial's so focused on tech solutions alone.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'm flattered, Rob. No, I'm not leaving the forum -- I'm simply moderating myself. Posting only when I have something new to report that is germane to the Craft, or answer a question no one else wants to tackle. No longer on the stage, but in the wings, if needed.

David
    OK! That is great news David! And I understand where you are coming from! Thank you David!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

To all!

If I am reading this statement from David correctly! Is he leaving this forum, Nautilus Drydocks? If this is the case, what a TREMENDOUS LOSS!!! His years of contribution to this hobby has built it from the bottom up! There is NO ONE who has given more of his time and masterful talents to this hobby than David Merriman!

I only hope that I have his statement incorrect!!!

Rob
    I'm flattered, Rob. No, I'm not leaving the forum -- I'm simply moderating myself. Posting only when I have something new to report that is germane to the Craft, or answer a question no one else wants to tackle. No longer on the stage, but in the wings, if needed.

David

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6C66234D-1C3F-47C3-9F6B-B1E7E250A058.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	148705

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I for one want to thank David for all the HELP and ENCOURAGMENT he has given me over the past year plus! He also gave me an older model SD that he had to help me along the way (it's in my Hunley) and again with his help it WORKS great. Without his encouragement plus the time he took to show me the way to do things, no doubt in my mind I would have dropped out of this hobby! Now because of him, I am in it for the long haul!!!

There has been two other men in my life that have kept me straight and given me the encouragement I needed to moving forward in my life! A special Master Chief in the Navy and Battalion Fire Chief! I realize I might be sounding corny right now, but I have always put praise to those that have helped me in life, and I by god put David Merriman in that group!!

OK! I have spoke my piece (as I

Thank you David Merriman!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-24-2021, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    I agree…… we can only hope he returns

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Some do.

But this is Bob's sandbox. This forum has, by necessity, become the Subcommittee Annex. So, I quietly grab my hat before someone hands it to me (not my first rodeo). My work here is done.

David
    To all!

If I am reading this statement from David correctly! Is he leaving this forum, Nautilus Drydocks? If this is the case, what a TREMENDOUS LOSS!!! His years of contribution to this hobby has built it from the bottom up! There is NO ONE who has given more of his time and masterful talents to this hobby than David Merriman!

I only hope that I have his statement incorrect!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Listen-as far as I am concerned, Show them all they want to see and tell them how it works then tell all the young people that they can't do it! They don't have the wana or skills or focus or money -and when they get responsible enough and want to create something really cool -call us, if we are still alive and kicking, we'll be there to help!...and they'll be back...its just not a kid's toy.
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sinksalot
    replied
    Ok here is the main problem with getting young people in the fold. Submarines are not fast, when they working great you don't see half the time since their under water. Most submarines are not plug and play. Yes we all know about the high cost., but its not really that these days, as kids these day can make good money when their young. Now for one of the biggest problem, young people like hobbies with other young people. Most sub guys are old farts and to young people that's like hanging out with your Dad all the time, boring for them. When I was young what did I like? RC Planes, RC cars, RC Speed boats and later when they came out Drones. You don't see RC ships and Subs on my list, because I thought older people did that. Now that I am older, my bank account hates subs, but I love them.

As to how to get younger people. Maybe try to get late 20 year olds or 30 years olds. Try recording events and put them on youtube and facebook at 1080p so people can see the great subs and how people who go to these events are having a great time. Also so more people can see them and add links to this site.
    Last edited by Sinksalot; 03-20-2021, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Another issue to consider is that across the USA a good percentage of the population do not have a place to run a model sub-no pool, no pond, no crystal spring fed lagoon. But almost all of those people have a place to run an RC car, Drone and/or Plane. A very niche market it is!

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by CC Clarke
    Losing the drama and returning to the point of this thread . . .

The prime demographic has been identified: Retirees with time and money on their hands who are interested in submarines.

Has any thought been given to reaching out to the US SubVets organization? They have chapters in every state and most put out a regular newsletter. A well-written description of the hobby with video links would be a relevant addition to their local and national newsletters. They have frequent social gatherings where a physical demo would be possible too.

CCC
    Back in the day US Sub Vet's visited the SubRegatta's of old. Been there, done that.

I'm a vet myself and frequently post this hobby at Vet sites, sub reunions, etc. Some give me blank looks, some say it's cool, I have yet to net one (again, maybe it's me lol). They are well aware of this. But I continue to do it hoping to one will get hooked.

For the record, retiree's are on a fixed income, look to the sweet spot between kids off to college and retirees, empty nesters (Engineering nerd folk) looking to spend cash. If anything, that's the demographic.

It's back to...THEY (whomever they are) have to want it.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Bit like a sub aquatic Darby and Joan Club.

Leave a comment:

• CC Clarke
    replied
    Losing the drama and returning to the point of this thread . . .

The prime demographic has been identified: Retirees with time and money on their hands who are interested in submarines.

Has any thought been given to reaching out to the US SubVets organization? They have chapters in every state and most put out a regular newsletter. A well-written description of the hobby with video links would be a relevant addition to their local and national newsletters. They have frequent social gatherings where a physical demo would be possible too.

CCC

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    A storm in a tea cup.

Leave a comment:

Working...