Clear All

• biggsgolf
    replied
    "Boys, oh boys... I think he's come back for his noon feeding."

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Alrighty... a couple of things:
    1. This site is called, "The Forums at the Nautilus Drydocks". It is not ,"The alternative SubCommittee website". It does not fall under the same rules, regulations or requirements for behavior that the forums at the SubCommittee does. I had these forums long before I became president of the SC, and I'll have them long after I'm done there.

I need to be very aware of the differentiation between my personal / business life and my new obligations and expectations in the role of president. With some tiny exceptions, I anticipate that SubCommittee business will stay on the SubCommittee site and that this site will remain as it always has, a free and open forum for discussion about our hobby. It can, at times, rub people the wrong way, but that is just the flavor of the ice cream you get here. Don't like it? Get your ice cream elsewhere.

Dave, nothing has changed and nothing will. I expect you to keep jamming your tremendous experience and opinions up people's noses. No one is going to stop you for doing what you've done here in the past. I guarantee it.
    2. Yes, this thread is a good place to talk about strategy for growing the hobby, but that strategy will center on what we can do as as a community, not what Bob, Ed and Tom have lined up in their roles as the new SubCommittee executive. You want to know our strategy? Head over to where SubCommittee business is discussed, because with few exceptions, it won't be happening here.

That said, we're taking notes here, trust us...

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Schmitty1944
    replied
    Model Submarines appeal mostly to old men, I started in my 20's I think Bob did too and probably many others in this forum started young but we likely don't represent the average person. The good news is there is a constant supply of old men, there will always be new blood. Best way to promote the hobby is get out there and run your boats. Join a local model boat club even if you're the only submariner. My local club is mostly tug boats but I like being the odd one out and I think they like the variety.

Kids these days are certainty less interested in physical modeling but many are very advanced at 3D modeling. Making files for 3d printing or mods for existing (or new) video games, movies etc. Don't fail to recognize these talents as just as legitimate as physical modeling skills and as we are already seeing these worlds can work well together. It's a niche hobby, I kind of like it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Some do.

But this is Bob's sandbox. This forum has, by necessity, become the Subcommittee Annex. So, I quietly grab my hat before someone hands it to me (not my first rodeo). My work here is done.

David

Well this just plain sucks!

Losing the talent, knowledge and continued contributions that you generously share is a huge loss for this community of misfits. This is the only forum I frequent regularly for all things submarine and the ONLY one I post on. That is because of the caliber of talented individuals (like you) that choose to make this forum their home base and share their masterful skills.

I get this threads original intention of thoughts of bringing new blood into the hobby and it is one that is a common topic brought up in other niche interests groups. I have seen it many times before. The fact is things change with time. You can’t force people to be interested in something. They have to really want it to begin with. We do what we do because that is what we are interested in and passionate about. Others who share that same interest will search out and find groups like these.

Posting interesting info and builds that leverage traditional methods as well as newer technologies will probably do more to draw in and make visible in searches, niche hobbies like ours.

Losing experienced contributors like David and others who have done so much for this hobby does not help the group or gaining future contributors.

I for one will dearly miss David’s no BS way of doing day to day business if he does choose to stay away. If his style is not palatable to the new generation or the direction this forum or hobby is heading towards then I will also being grabbing my hat. Not retaining and supporting the talent we have is far worse then filling the huge gaps left by their absence with knuckle dragging over sensitive brats for the sake of growing numbers.

I received two pieces of bumming news today. The first, the mom and pop run hobby shop of my youth and adulthood that was one of the last real hobby shops around was closing down after 50 years in business. And the news David was walking away from this forum. I bought my first WTC kit from him almost 20 years ago for a revel 1/72 type VII.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Okay, sadly the replies I got sound very much like people on the defensive, which there's no need for, as it was a simple statement.

I have many ideas, many of which I've outlined in the past, but few of them have been taken up. Some I can enact as an individual, some others would require assistance. There is no guarantee of success, but without some effort to try something new, the outcome is easier to predict.

I will concentrate on that which i can action and leave others to do what they wish. I haven't been a member of the SC in over four years, so I'll let the current membership to decide where they want to go.
    Last edited by Subculture; 03-19-2021, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by QuarterMaster

I don't think so....

Not sure how Bob wishes to separate Church and state, aka Business and pleasure. I'm sure 99.999999% of us don't give a "Amy Schumer's" ass about it.
    Some do.

But this is Bob's sandbox. This forum has, by necessity, become the Subcommittee Annex. So, I quietly grab my hat before someone hands it to me (not my first rodeo). My work here is done.

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Originally posted by Subculture
    I thought this would have been a perfect opportunity to outline the strategy and plans for the next three years of the freshly elected SC executives. All three present on this thread. Is it a big secret?
    Yes, it is a big secret Subculture, we even have a secret handshake. Come on really? ..... you seem to be missing the point here. We are looking for positive future thinking ideas. The three of us do have ideas, but most of it is not set in stone and we want to see what you (members) want, not what should have been done. If anyone has an idea worth implementing we want to hear it. I know I am not the smartest person on this globe and there are plenty of people with great ideas not expressed that are smarter than me. I want to hear their ideas. This team has been together less than three months. We are volunteers who work other jobs. I think it is wise to rehash new ideas to see if there are any new trends or directions.

That being said, have you seen the announcement of the zoom meetings? That is transparent and allowing more ideas to be seen. In summary, no secrets here.
    Let me share one of the first actions, upgrade this forum. With the newest version there are tie ins to several social media outlets. This does not happen overnight. It will take several incremental upgrades to get current. We have a third party working on this now. I will let Bob share some of the other ideas we have.
    Last edited by trout; 03-19-2021, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	popcorn.gif
Views:	266
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	148545

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Subculture
    I thought this would have been a perfect opportunity to outline the strategy and plans for the next three years of the freshly elected SC executives. All three present on this thread. Is it a big secret?
    I don't think so....

Not sure how Bob wishes to separate Church and state, aka Business and pleasure. I'm sure 99.999999% of us don't give a "Amy Schumer's" ass about it.

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    I too have a youtube....whopping 152 subscribers. https://www.youtube.com/user/tchalfant
    No problemo...

I didn't know you had one, now I do.

Let's take this opportunity to experiment with prompting them Tom, even as a friendly competition (one with cooperation) to see who get to 500 first. Though SCLI's numbers may be ahead of yours in numbers, but not by much ans you have a FB page.

Are you CONSTANTLY posting the new links among all your social media outlets? Have you reached out to cooperate with other YouTubers? I will link your Channel on mine and vice versa, will Bob's channel subscribe to ours and vice-versa?

Let the computers do the work.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    I too have a youtube....whopping 152 subscribers. https://www.youtube.com/user/tchalfant

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsgolf
    As far as cheap Subs on Subs on Thingsverse, this sector is more about Authentic Scale Submarines!
    This is what I meant about absolutes, "who" said "what" sector is more about "Authentic Scale Sub"?

Who decides that?

Define what you mean by "Authentic Scale Sub". 1/32 Scale GATO? 1:300 scale SEAQUEST? 1:48 NAUTILUS?

This is what spins a newcomer/lurkers head.

Let them decide what's right for them. Keep opinions out of it. My "opinion" here is to not necessarily coddle them, but don't define what is right for them, let them decide.

You have your opinion...fine. I have mine....fine. I respect yours, you respect mine.

For example, I loathe piston boats, but I sure won't as heck tell someone who wants to try them they're wasting their time. The piston guys think probably think gas boats are stupid...cool. I think Russian boats are downright fugly, Bob loves them, I dig it...it floats his boat. I'm in love with 2.4Ghz, people hate it, and have personally told me by boat is not a real sub in their head...countless times. I think they're jerks....opinions. How many newcomers who lurk back off seeing this argument? Especially seeing a 2.4Ghz radio is less than $150 USD and probably twice as much for a low freq. Radio. Hey..it's not a true sub...goodbye.

Seriously not flaming, here, just asking that if we want people, we must be flexible to the point of being fluid...IF you want attraction, be attractive.
    I really don't care personally, really really don't...that's my opinion.

After all, do you want new people? Remember they come in all types.

Leave a comment:

• JHapprich
    replied

It all starts with some input ("The Hunt for Red October"), an engine and a sewer pipe.... i learned to use a saw and a hammer before school, and so are my kids.

Heads up, people, we are doing this for FUN! It's HOBBY!

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied

SO I commented on the WHO.....

Now it's the focused HOW.

We really want to reach them? I mean really?

One word....(mentioned several times already) YOUTUBE. (it’s 2021)

Most EVERY person I know of has a GMAIL (Google account) which gets you a YouTube account.

Most EVERY person I know of has a Smart Phone, which gets you Video.

Putting the two together is so very easy. To make a video and post it instantly to your channels is easy. You don't need to be a Videographer to catch 5 minutes of someone launching/running a boat. You just have to be there.

Why doesn't 50%, much less 10%, of RC Sub owners do this? You know the ones that want people to come play?

It's easy, and fun.

Dave has a channel David Merriman (229 Subscribers)

I have a channel (two actually) ESMM Undersea Warfare Group: Kraken Division (220 Subscribers)

Hey....lookit THIS guy!! RCSubGuy (33.6k followers! Must be a guru!!) But we can’t count him obviously since he already has the interested party.

SO what does this mean? By promoting (YouTube helps with this) using Tags such as RC Sub, RC Submarine, Submarine, Warship, Submarine simulator, Navy, boat (not all these tags focus on RC Sub and that’s a GOOD thing as they’ll draw moore searches) and cross linking, YOU promote our hobby.

Now I'm currently courting this guy, Sub Brief. Started viewing him since he's an online gamer (right now you're rolling your eyes!) that helped me Learn “Cold Waters”, a submarine simulation game. Now you may ask why that’s important? Kids play games! (The very audience you CLAIM to want). Well I got some bad news for you Sunshine, not all of them are kids. Online gaming is big $$. You can in essence say a gamer has a lot more to do with us than say a football fan. The nerdiness I spoke of earlier? After all , that sleek 1:96 scale SKIPJACK you’re tooling around the pool with is a simulation of a real submarine...duh.

I’ll give you 77.9K reasons to seek him out and show him what we do. HIS followers alone. Imagine if HE does a livestream from Cohutta for his followers? Ooooohhhhh myyyyyyy (ala Takei).

I made a mistake earlier, we only have 21 members at the local club, and 1 is building a sub. So that's 1/21 (0.04761). This means on the high side, a guy like Aaron from Sub Brief may bring us at tad over 3700 people who may be very interested. Having spoken already with Prez SC, I plan on reaching out to him after the next issue of the SCR. BTW, I believe he lives in Florida Bob.

Now, what’s the point?

Think outside the box now that you’re done complaining you can’t keep up with a 17yo regarding technology. Spend some time on a weekend trolling YouTube modeling sites, Military sites, Gamers and reach out to these people. I am.

Setup your own Youtube Channel, “Your Name” RC Sub Channel. If all you post is 5 minute clips from a local run and added all those crazy search tags (10 minutes of your life), you’ve done 10 minutes of work we didn’t have before. Force multiply it by 10 swab’s reading this, that’s 100 minutes of sub viewing out there doing on the web what iot does best: Searched, found, and seen.

Stop saying we should and go DO! Put your money where your mouth is.

Like I said in the last post about wanting the build, you have to want to do it. Same with recruitment, don’t just give lip service and expect someone else to do it while you sit back feeling good about it.

One last thing. Retention, that needs equal if not more focus. That goes hand in hand with evolving, keeping it fresh.

That’s why Bob, Tom and myself are in Triage attempting life support on a stagnant club.

Leave a comment:

Working...