X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Subculture
    I thought this would have been a perfect opportunity to outline the strategy and plans for the next three years of the freshly elected SC executives. All three present on this thread. Is it a big secret?
    Yes, it is a big secret Subculture, we even have a secret handshake. Come on really? ..... you seem to be missing the point here. We are looking for positive future thinking ideas. The three of us do have ideas, but most of it is not set in stone and we want to see what you (members) want, not what should have been done. If anyone has an idea worth implementing we want to hear it. I know I am not the smartest person on this globe and there are plenty of people with great ideas not expressed that are smarter than me. I want to hear their ideas. This team has been together less than three months. We are volunteers who work other jobs. I think it is wise to rehash new ideas to see if there are any new trends or directions.

That being said, have you seen the announcement of the zoom meetings? That is transparent and allowing more ideas to be seen. In summary, no secrets here.
    Let me share one of the first actions, upgrade this forum. With the newest version there are tie ins to several social media outlets. This does not happen overnight. It will take several incremental upgrades to get current. We have a third party working on this now. I will let Bob share some of the other ideas we have.
    Last edited by trout; 03-19-2021, 10:50 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

I don't think so....

Not sure how Bob wishes to separate Church and state, aka Business and pleasure. I'm sure 99.999999% of us don't give a "Amy Schumer's" ass about it.
      Some do.

But this is Bob's sandbox. This forum has, by necessity, become the Subcommittee Annex. So, I quietly grab my hat before someone hands it to me (not my first rodeo). My work here is done.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Okay, sadly the replies I got sound very much like people on the defensive, which there's no need for, as it was a simple statement.

I have many ideas, many of which I've outlined in the past, but few of them have been taken up. Some I can enact as an individual, some others would require assistance. There is no guarantee of success, but without some effort to try something new, the outcome is easier to predict.

I will concentrate on that which i can action and leave others to do what they wish. I haven't been a member of the SC in over four years, so I'll let the current membership to decide where they want to go.
        Last edited by Subculture; 03-19-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Some do.

But this is Bob's sandbox. This forum has, by necessity, become the Subcommittee Annex. So, I quietly grab my hat before someone hands it to me (not my first rodeo). My work here is done.

David

Well this just plain sucks!

Losing the talent, knowledge and continued contributions that you generously share is a huge loss for this community of misfits. This is the only forum I frequent regularly for all things submarine and the ONLY one I post on. That is because of the caliber of talented individuals (like you) that choose to make this forum their home base and share their masterful skills.

I get this threads original intention of thoughts of bringing new blood into the hobby and it is one that is a common topic brought up in other niche interests groups. I have seen it many times before. The fact is things change with time. You can’t force people to be interested in something. They have to really want it to begin with. We do what we do because that is what we are interested in and passionate about. Others who share that same interest will search out and find groups like these.

Posting interesting info and builds that leverage traditional methods as well as newer technologies will probably do more to draw in and make visible in searches, niche hobbies like ours.

Losing experienced contributors like David and others who have done so much for this hobby does not help the group or gaining future contributors.

I for one will dearly miss David’s no BS way of doing day to day business if he does choose to stay away. If his style is not palatable to the new generation or the direction this forum or hobby is heading towards then I will also being grabbing my hat. Not retaining and supporting the talent we have is far worse then filling the huge gaps left by their absence with knuckle dragging over sensitive brats for the sake of growing numbers.

I received two pieces of bumming news today. The first, the mom and pop run hobby shop of my youth and adulthood that was one of the last real hobby shops around was closing down after 50 years in business. And the news David was walking away from this forum. I bought my first WTC kit from him almost 20 years ago for a revel 1/72 type VII.

Nick

Comment

• Schmitty1944
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2021

Model Submarines appeal mostly to old men, I started in my 20's I think Bob did too and probably many others in this forum started young but we likely don't represent the average person. The good news is there is a constant supply of old men, there will always be new blood. Best way to promote the hobby is get out there and run your boats. Join a local model boat club even if you're the only submariner. My local club is mostly tug boats but I like being the odd one out and I think they like the variety.

Kids these days are certainty less interested in physical modeling but many are very advanced at 3D modeling. Making files for 3d printing or mods for existing (or new) video games, movies etc. Don't fail to recognize these talents as just as legitimate as physical modeling skills and as we are already seeing these worlds can work well together. It's a niche hobby, I kind of like it that way.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Alrighty... a couple of things:
              1. This site is called, "The Forums at the Nautilus Drydocks". It is not ,"The alternative SubCommittee website". It does not fall under the same rules, regulations or requirements for behavior that the forums at the SubCommittee does. I had these forums long before I became president of the SC, and I'll have them long after I'm done there.

I need to be very aware of the differentiation between my personal / business life and my new obligations and expectations in the role of president. With some tiny exceptions, I anticipate that SubCommittee business will stay on the SubCommittee site and that this site will remain as it always has, a free and open forum for discussion about our hobby. It can, at times, rub people the wrong way, but that is just the flavor of the ice cream you get here. Don't like it? Get your ice cream elsewhere.

Dave, nothing has changed and nothing will. I expect you to keep jamming your tremendous experience and opinions up people's noses. No one is going to stop you for doing what you've done here in the past. I guarantee it.
              2. Yes, this thread is a good place to talk about strategy for growing the hobby, but that strategy will center on what we can do as as a community, not what Bob, Ed and Tom have lined up in their roles as the new SubCommittee executive. You want to know our strategy? Head over to where SubCommittee business is discussed, because with few exceptions, it won't be happening here.

That said, we're taking notes here, trust us...

Bob

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

"Boys, oh boys... I think he's come back for his noon feeding."

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

A storm in a tea cup.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

Losing the drama and returning to the point of this thread . . .

The prime demographic has been identified: Retirees with time and money on their hands who are interested in submarines.

Has any thought been given to reaching out to the US SubVets organization? They have chapters in every state and most put out a regular newsletter. A well-written description of the hobby with video links would be a relevant addition to their local and national newsletters. They have frequent social gatherings where a physical demo would be possible too.

CCC

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Bit like a sub aquatic Darby and Joan Club.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by CC Clarke
                        Losing the drama and returning to the point of this thread . . .

The prime demographic has been identified: Retirees with time and money on their hands who are interested in submarines.

Has any thought been given to reaching out to the US SubVets organization? They have chapters in every state and most put out a regular newsletter. A well-written description of the hobby with video links would be a relevant addition to their local and national newsletters. They have frequent social gatherings where a physical demo would be possible too.

CCC
                        Back in the day US Sub Vet's visited the SubRegatta's of old. Been there, done that.

I'm a vet myself and frequently post this hobby at Vet sites, sub reunions, etc. Some give me blank looks, some say it's cool, I have yet to net one (again, maybe it's me lol). They are well aware of this. But I continue to do it hoping to one will get hooked.

For the record, retiree's are on a fixed income, look to the sweet spot between kids off to college and retirees, empty nesters (Engineering nerd folk) looking to spend cash. If anything, that's the demographic.

It's back to...THEY (whomever they are) have to want it.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Another issue to consider is that across the USA a good percentage of the population do not have a place to run a model sub-no pool, no pond, no crystal spring fed lagoon. But almost all of those people have a place to run an RC car, Drone and/or Plane. A very niche market it is!

Comment

• Sinksalot
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2020

Ok here is the main problem with getting young people in the fold. Submarines are not fast, when they working great you don't see half the time since their under water. Most submarines are not plug and play. Yes we all know about the high cost., but its not really that these days, as kids these day can make good money when their young. Now for one of the biggest problem, young people like hobbies with other young people. Most sub guys are old farts and to young people that's like hanging out with your Dad all the time, boring for them. When I was young what did I like? RC Planes, RC cars, RC Speed boats and later when they came out Drones. You don't see RC ships and Subs on my list, because I thought older people did that. Now that I am older, my bank account hates subs, but I love them.

As to how to get younger people. Maybe try to get late 20 year olds or 30 years olds. Try recording events and put them on youtube and facebook at 1080p so people can see the great subs and how people who go to these events are having a great time. Also so more people can see them and add links to this site.
                            Last edited by Sinksalot; 03-20-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                              Captain
                              • Feb 2019

Listen-as far as I am concerned, Show them all they want to see and tell them how it works then tell all the young people that they can't do it! They don't have the wana or skills or focus or money -and when they get responsible enough and want to create something really cool -call us, if we are still alive and kicking, we'll be there to help!...and they'll be back...its just not a kid's toy.
                              Last edited by Bob Gato; 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Some do.

David
                                To all!

If I am reading this statement from David correctly! Is he leaving this forum, Nautilus Drydocks? If this is the case, what a TREMENDOUS LOSS!!! His years of contribution to this hobby has built it from the bottom up! There is NO ONE who has given more of his time and masterful talents to this hobby than David Merriman!

I only hope that I have his statement incorrect!!!

Rob
                                "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...