My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groot689
    replied
    Wow. The Hunley is really coming along beautifully. Your 3D print quality is terrific.

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Loving this. What a cool build!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I finished up the most of the stern structure. The rudder assembly, rudder linkage, and the propeller ring bracing struts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300010.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	147206Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300011.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	147207

Name:	P1300012.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	147208Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300013.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	147209

I still have some clean up work to do on the brass work. Filing, sanding, and some screw and bolt head fillers to help simulate a rivet and make it look as close to the hull rivets as possible! My main reason for all this extra brass structure was to enhance and reinforce the stern components for RC operation!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Very nice brasswork, Rob! Looking very clean so far! The brackets look a tad oversized, but they'll be rock-solid for RC application. No problem with that!

Bob
    Thanks Bob!

Ounce I get the design functional, I will take the brass work apart and trim off and clean up as much excess materials as I can! I have been studying both your YouTubes that you have on the Hunley build as well as the hundreds of photos on line to help design the stern of that boat, trying to keep it as true to the original design, and yet make it functional for RC operation! This boat has been a real challenge! (For me)

Then comes the finish work!! If I get through this boat, and it operates, and looks anything as good as your boat finished out! I will be happy!!

Rob
    "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated" Great words to live by, not so easy to achieve!!

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Very nice brasswork, Rob! Looking very clean so far! The brackets look a tad oversized, but they'll be rock-solid for RC application. No problem with that!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Making progress on the Hunley stern!

Name:	P1280008.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	147154Click image for larger version

Name:	P1280010.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	147155

This shows the method I have chosen to install the rudder. More coming!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I started on the propeller ring bracing structure. I am using brass and some copper tubing to fabricate this structure.

Name:	P1250099.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	147133Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250096.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	147134

Name:	P1250097.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	147135

I am going to use small brass and stainless nuts, bolts, and screws. I will fill in the heads and file down to simulate rivets.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Now that the printing process is complete I can begin work on the upper hull section. Before I start gluing the sections together I want to do all the mechanics involved in the stern section!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	147022Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	147023

I have the two brass sleeves installed for the propeller shaft and the rudder control arm. As stated above there is going to be a lot of metal structure attached to the stern to mount the propeller ring and the rudder itself. The printed parts are fine for a static model, but not for the mechanical function for in water operation.

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-23-2021, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The Hunley 3D printing is complete! Today I finished up all the smaller parts required for the build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	146989

These files as printed are good for great looking static model! Since I am going to put this machine in the water as a full RC submarine, some of the smaller parts will be replaced using brass and copper. Attaching the prop ring, workable linkage material for the rudder and the forward dive planes will all require a much stronger foundation.

That's no problem, I think the more rustic looking metal parts will enhance not only the appearance of the model, but it's overall ability to operate in the water environment.

Moving on with construction!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I am working on fitting the keel to the bottom of the Hunley.

Name:	P1190089.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	146923Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190090.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	146924

I had to 3D print a smaller 2.5" long section of keel to make up for the bottom hull section that I needed for the installation of the MSD!

Name:	P1190099.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	146925

Just need to clean up the pieces then the keel can be attached to the hull

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Robart quick connect. They're awesome.
    WOW! Thanks Bob!

How soon we forget! I used the Robart air retract system on a couple of my 1/4 scale RC air planes in the day, a Corsair, and P-51! Thanks for shaking the cob webs loose!
    Thanks again for the link-up!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Robart quick connect. They're awesome.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I started the print out on the accessories needed for the Hunley.

Name:	P1180002.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	146849

The items you see in the photo above are the forward dive planes, the snorkel box, the two hatches with the covers, and the keel plates. I have also cut some brass tubing for the snorkels.

Name:	P1180067.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	146850Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180003.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	146851

I do have a question about the ballast 1/8" tubing going up to the snorkel! The photo on the left shows Bob Martin showing the quick connect that he used to tie the snorkel tube to the ballast tube. I have looked everywhere and have not been able to find these. I could use a brass tube and just pull it apart, but a nice connector would be better.

I would appreciate any possible ideas that you guys might have on this! Thanks!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The hull sections are complete and ready to be joined up! The overall length turned out to be 43" (1002.20 mm) as mention before I had to add an addition 2.5" (63.50 mm) section to the length to accommodate the MSD I am using! All in all I am quite pleased with the printed structure at this point!

Name:	P1150009.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	146767

Now I can move onto the rest of the smaller components to complete the build up.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

OK! Thank you so much David! That MSD that you gave is finally going to be put to use! I very much appreciate not only your generous gift, but the time and your expertise to make operate! If the Hunley turns out like I hope it will (thanks to you) I might be able to lose the newbie label!!:-)) NAH! I still have so much more to learn!!

Thank you again David!

Rob
    We're all newbie's in this game, Rob.

Leave a comment:

Working...