Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Now that the printing process is complete I can begin work on the upper hull section. Before I start gluing the sections together I want to do all the mechanics involved in the stern section!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	147022Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	147023

I have the two brass sleeves installed for the propeller shaft and the rudder control arm. As stated above there is going to be a lot of metal structure attached to the stern to mount the propeller ring and the rudder itself. The printed parts are fine for a static model, but not for the mechanical function for in water operation.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-23-2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Today I started on the propeller ring bracing structure. I am using brass and some copper tubing to fabricate this structure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250099.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	147133Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250096.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	147134

Name:	P1250097.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	147135

I am going to use small brass and stainless nuts, bolts, and screws. I will fill in the heads and file down to simulate rivets.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Making progress on the Hunley stern!

Name:	P1280008.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	147154Click image for larger version

Name:	P1280010.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	147155

This shows the method I have chosen to install the rudder. More coming!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Very nice brasswork, Rob! Looking very clean so far! The brackets look a tad oversized, but they'll be rock-solid for RC application. No problem with that!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
            Very nice brasswork, Rob! Looking very clean so far! The brackets look a tad oversized, but they'll be rock-solid for RC application. No problem with that!

Bob
            Thanks Bob!

Ounce I get the design functional, I will take the brass work apart and trim off and clean up as much excess materials as I can! I have been studying both your YouTubes that you have on the Hunley build as well as the hundreds of photos on line to help design the stern of that boat, trying to keep it as true to the original design, and yet make it functional for RC operation! This boat has been a real challenge! (For me)

Then comes the finish work!! If I get through this boat, and it operates, and looks anything as good as your boat finished out! I will be happy!!

Rob
            "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated" Great words to live by, not so easy to achieve!!

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Today I finished up the most of the stern structure. The rudder assembly, rudder linkage, and the propeller ring bracing struts.

Name:	P1300010.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	147206Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300011.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	147207

Name:	P1300012.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	147208Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300013.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	147209

I still have some clean up work to do on the brass work. Filing, sanding, and some screw and bolt head fillers to help simulate a rivet and make it look as close to the hull rivets as possible! My main reason for all this extra brass structure was to enhance and reinforce the stern components for RC operation!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Loving this. What a cool build!

Bob

Comment

• Groot689
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Mar 2016

Wow. The Hunley is really coming along beautifully. Your 3D print quality is terrific.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                    Loving this. What a cool build!

Bob
                    Thanks Bob! I am really learning as I go with this boat! I really want this boat to perform with the MSD that I got from David!

Groot689! Post up your name! We won't bite! Anyway thanks for your kind comments!!

Rob

Comment

• Groot689
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2016

Aw shucks... you have called me out... It's George, no wait its Larry... no. its Bond, James Bond. Seriously, its Richard. Please no biting!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Groot689
                        Aw shucks... you have called me out... It's George, no wait its Larry... no. its Bond, James Bond. Seriously, its Richard. Please no biting!
                        Hi Richard! Nice to meet you!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

I have decided to add a little something to the HL Hunley build. I am currently 3D printing a model of the USS Housatonic! This was the sloop that was sunk by the Hunley February 17, 1864!

Name:	Hunley_vs_Housatonic.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	147413

It will be a small table model, and add a little more historical value to the Hunley build. I will post up some photos and information on the Housatonic as it moves along!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

A little more update on the HL Hunley history build! I started on the USS Housatonic (table model build) I have the basic hull complete!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	147435Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	147436

My Dremel is at work on the masts. I am working on the interior bottom hull of the Hunley, and in order to do a somewhat professional job of running the linkage forward for the dive planes, I needed an angle drill that would fit my old 770 model Dremel tool. Not to be found. My old Dremel is 35 years old!!! I wanted nice clean round holes (that line up) through the hull sections, almost impossible by hand or trying to stick the head of my power drill or the old Dremel tool and get a straight hole. WELL!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	147437Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	147438

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	147439

My wonderful wife surprised me with a new Model 4300 Dremel tool with a great tool box with accessory draws, and above all a 90 degree angle drill attachment. Now I am really ready to have a tool that will greatly enhance my Submarine building! Not enough credit goes to our BETTER halves and there wonderful support of our hobbies! Cheers to them all!!!

Rob
                            "perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"
                            Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-08-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

I finished printing the USS Housatonic!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	147493

I will do a little painting on it and then it's finished! I will be back on the Hunley build in short order. The two boats together are a big part of over all story of HL Hunley!

I am now in the process of fabricating the mechanics for the forward dive planes. Bob M. has helped me decide in what direction I need to go to make the Hunley a functioning submarine!

Rob
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-11-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Making some head way on the HL Hunley!

Today I finished up all the wiring. Motor, servos, ballast pump, ESC, battery, and the magnetic switch! I am using Deans Plugs on the 7.4 Volt wiring coming from the 2 cell 35C 2200 mAh Li-poly battery that I am using!

Name:	P2220002.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	147737Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220003.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	147738

Name:	P2220078.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	147739Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220090.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	147740

Next I will install all the components, do the operational check, and then take the MSD cylinder for a plunge into the pool for a leak check!

Rob

Comment

Working...