• rwtdiver
    replied
    Making some progress on the "Hunley"

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3050006.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	148047

Getting ready to install the hatches, and the snorkel tube housing. I will put up some better photos and descriptions of my progress soon!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Here you go

Snort:

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	147901

SAS:

Name:	059.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	147902
    David and Bob, Thank you for answering my question! I sure do like the simplicity of the snort system!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Piccy no show, but with SNORT, you only need a hose going up to the surface and that's it. The snorkel valve and the safety valve are all superfluous.

SNORT is absolutely my preferred setup for virtually all boats. Stationary diving is for ballistic missile subs and research subs.

Bob
    Here you go

Snort:

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	147901

SAS:

Name:	059.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	147902

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Piccy no show, but with SNORT, you only need a hose going up to the surface and that's it. The snorkel valve and the safety valve are all superfluous.

SNORT is absolutely my preferred setup for virtually all boats. Stationary diving is for ballistic missile subs and research subs.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied

Rob, those cylinders are designed for 3S LiPos. Everything will still work, but the pump in particular has an in-line resistor to drop voltage from the expected 11.1 to 6V. The pump will still spin, but you may find that it's sluggish. If you're dead-set on the 2S battery, you can remove the resistor, or you can just get an 11.1V battery.

Bob
    Ok Bob! Thanks for the heads up on the pump situation and battery size. I have a 11.1 volt 3 cell 30c 4000 mAh that will fit!

I do have another question?

In the above photo, it shows the ballast system items that are not being used now that my boat will go direct as a snorkel system.

Can I just eliminate that system? That piece on top is leaking from the valve itself as well and the part with the two screws!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    Today I finished up all the wiring. Motor, servos, ballast pump, ESC, battery, and the magnetic switch! I am using Deans Plugs on the 7.4 Volt wiring coming from the 2 cell 35C 2200 mAh Li-poly battery that I am using!
    Rob, those cylinders are designed for 3S LiPos. Everything will still work, but the pump in particular has an in-line resistor to drop voltage from the expected 11.1 to 6V. The pump will still spin, but you may find that it's sluggish. If you're dead-set on the 2S battery, you can remove the resistor, or you can just get an 11.1V battery.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
    Moving right along! Good job. Can’t wait to see the results of your first splash tests. Keep the build updates coming.
    Thank you sir! I sure will. Tomorrow will be the WTC test dip!!!

Rob
    "firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Moving right along! Good job. Can’t wait to see the results of your first splash tests. Keep the build updates coming.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Making some head way on the HL Hunley!

Today I finished up all the wiring. Motor, servos, ballast pump, ESC, battery, and the magnetic switch! I am using Deans Plugs on the 7.4 Volt wiring coming from the 2 cell 35C 2200 mAh Li-poly battery that I am using!

Name:	P2220002.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	147737Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220003.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	147738

Name:	P2220078.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	147739Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220090.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	147740

Next I will install all the components, do the operational check, and then take the MSD cylinder for a plunge into the pool for a leak check!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I finished printing the USS Housatonic!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	147493

I will do a little painting on it and then it's finished! I will be back on the Hunley build in short order. The two boats together are a big part of over all story of HL Hunley!

I am now in the process of fabricating the mechanics for the forward dive planes. Bob M. has helped me decide in what direction I need to go to make the Hunley a functioning submarine!

Rob
    "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-11-2021, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    A little more update on the HL Hunley history build! I started on the USS Housatonic (table model build) I have the basic hull complete!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	147435Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	147436

My Dremel is at work on the masts. I am working on the interior bottom hull of the Hunley, and in order to do a somewhat professional job of running the linkage forward for the dive planes, I needed an angle drill that would fit my old 770 model Dremel tool. Not to be found. My old Dremel is 35 years old!!! I wanted nice clean round holes (that line up) through the hull sections, almost impossible by hand or trying to stick the head of my power drill or the old Dremel tool and get a straight hole. WELL!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	147437Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	147438

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2090007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	147439

My wonderful wife surprised me with a new Model 4300 Dremel tool with a great tool box with accessory draws, and above all a 90 degree angle drill attachment. Now I am really ready to have a tool that will greatly enhance my Submarine building! Not enough credit goes to our BETTER halves and there wonderful support of our hobbies! Cheers to them all!!!

Rob
    "perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-08-2021, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have decided to add a little something to the HL Hunley build. I am currently 3D printing a model of the USS Housatonic! This was the sloop that was sunk by the Hunley February 17, 1864!

Name:	Hunley_vs_Housatonic.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	147413

It will be a small table model, and add a little more historical value to the Hunley build. I will post up some photos and information on the Housatonic as it moves along!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Groot689
    Aw shucks... you have called me out... It's George, no wait its Larry... no. its Bond, James Bond. Seriously, its Richard. Please no biting!
    Hi Richard! Nice to meet you!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Groot689
    replied
    Aw shucks... you have called me out... It's George, no wait its Larry... no. its Bond, James Bond. Seriously, its Richard. Please no biting!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Loving this. What a cool build!

Bob
    Thanks Bob! I am really learning as I go with this boat! I really want this boat to perform with the MSD that I got from David!

Groot689! Post up your name! We won't bite! Anyway thanks for your kind comments!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...