My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groot689
    replied
    Great start! Delighted to see someone building this point especially from 3D files! Looking really good.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The printing work is moving along on the Hunley!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060001.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	146434

As you can see by the photo, the detail on this boat is exceptional! Looking forward to the print completion!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Yes, but a much simpler mechanism -- you will only be pitching the shaft, the big rudder needs no help from yawing the shaft.

David
    OK! Thank you David! I am sure that I will summon for future help on this project! Thanks for being there for us!

Rob
    "firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

David,

Thank you for your help on this boat! I am very happy that you feel the MSD that you gave me will work. I have been waiting for a special sub that I could use it in! I like the fact that the HL-Hunley has a very unique design and history to it. Very fitting to use a very special MSD! Thank you again David.

David! The gimbal control for the propeller! Will that be a similar control system that I will be using on the Disney Nautilus? If I understand you correctly I need to be able to pitch the propeller up and down?

Rob
    Yes, but a much simpler mechanism -- you will only be pitching the shaft, the big rudder needs no help from yawing the shaft.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Other than that MSD having much more ballast tank than you need for the HUNLEY, I don't see any problem using it. As to the model itself, I recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch as without a positive means of pitch control this submarine is a ***** to maneuver underwater. So, one channel for the bow planes, good for fine depth control; one channel for the ballast sub-system; one channel for the rudder; one channel for the ESC; and one channel for the gimbal.

These clips from the SubRegatta 96 event shows the HUNLEY model I contributed some work to in and out of the water: https://youtu.be/_C1O9X6m3Ag 29:15, 50:50, and 32:15

David
    David,

Thank you for your help on this boat! I am very happy that you feel the MSD that you gave me will work. I have been waiting for a special sub that I could use it in! I like the fact that the HL-Hunley has a very unique design and history to it. Very fitting to use a very special MSD! Thank you again David.

David! The gimbal control for the propeller! Will that be a similar control system that I will be using on the Disney Nautilus? If I understand you correctly I need to be able to pitch the propeller up and down?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    I am going to try and use the 2.5" SD that I received from David M. not to long ago! There really has to be a way to make it work in the Hunley! This SD is very special to me!!

Click image for larger version Name:	P1050004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	146417Click image for larger version Name:	P1050005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	146418

Name:	4242001.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	146419

I will be using the VEX transmitter with a 4 channel receiver. I also purchased this system from Nautilus Drydocks some time ago

Rob
    Other than that MSD having much more ballast tank than you need for the HUNLEY, I don't see any problem using it. As to the model itself, I recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch as without a positive means of pitch control this submarine is a ***** to maneuver underwater. So, one channel for the bow planes, good for fine depth control; one channel for the ballast sub-system; one channel for the rudder; one channel for the ESC; and one channel for the gimbal.

These clips from the SubRegatta 96 event shows the HUNLEY model I contributed some work to in and out of the water: https://youtu.be/_C1O9X6m3Ag 29:15, 50:50, and 32:15

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I am going to try and use the 2.5" SD that I received from David M. not to long ago! There really has to be a way to make it work in the Hunley! This SD is very special to me!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	146417Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	146418

Name:	4242001.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	146419

I will be using the VEX transmitter with a 4 channel receiver. I also purchased this system from Nautilus Drydocks some time ago

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-05-2021, 02:24 AM. Reason: Adding other information

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    started a topic My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

Another Build!!

I have decided to go with the HL-Hunley build! I ordered the 3D print files form Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) today, and I already have my Dremel 3D40 at work!

Click image for larger version  Name:	hunley-banner.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	146412

I Already have my Dremel 3D40 hard at work on the files! Looking really good at this point. I am using Solutech Plus White PLA! I have printed out 4 submarines using this material and I have not had any issues with the PLA. All 4 subs have been in the water (15 min. at a time) But I make sure to keep them out of heat the after each run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	146413Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	146415

I am going to work on both my 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus and the HL-Hunley at the same time!

Rob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-05-2021, 02:35 AM.
Working...