My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have made some headway on my final finish work on the Hunley! I have two coats of primer applied inside and out, and two coats of FLAT black paint for my base coat!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3100009.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	148194Click image for larger version

Name:	P3100010.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	148195

Name:	P3100011.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	148196

I have my rust samples complete, and the three acrylic water base paints I will be applying to achieve the rust finish that I am looking for. The acrylic will be applied using old house paint cheap brushes, and using a dabbing motion to get the results. It will be time consuming, but the effect, I think will look great!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

I am hearing you & learning David! Next video will be better! Just like building subs, there are steps that lead up from the depths of hell before we newbies get it right, and then the perfect video and submarine!!

Rob
    Bingo!.....................

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

It worked fine, Rob. But next time shoot/load in HD. This low-end version is almost unwatchable.

David
    I am hearing you & learning David! Next video will be better! Just like building subs, there are steps that lead up from the depths of hell before we newbies get it right, and then the perfect video and submarine!!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-09-2021, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    Not sure if this worked or not!?

Video HL Hunley - YouTube

Rob
    It worked fine, Rob. But next time shoot/load in HD. This low-end version is almost unwatchable.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Not sure if this worked or not!?

Video HL Hunley - YouTube

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    https://youtu.be/_C1O9X6m3Ag 29:15, 50:50, and 52:15
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-09-2021, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Upload your video to YouTube then post the link here.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Well done. Looks good and can't wait to see the video!
    Thank you Tom! This was an interesting build when it came to setting up the ballast! I think just a little more weight to set it under a little more will do it. Full up on the ballast system will bring it to about 1.3/4" above the water line. The photo shows it at full down at this point, which is not to bad at this point. I finally built a boat that can static dive if need be!! I thank David M. for helping me with MSD that he gave me, and with his help setting up the snorkel system, we made it work!!! Thank you David!! Bob Martin was also very helpful as well!

I sent the video to Bob Martin to put it up on my build blog, I just have not figured out how to do a video on our forum!

Now onto the finish work!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-09-2021, 02:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Well done. Looks good and can't wait to see the video!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    OK! Well today the HL Hunley met the water for the first time!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL Hunley 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	148121

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL Hunley.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	148122

The boat looks great in the water. I did have to make a few adjustments with foam and weights to compensate for the weight of the torpedo structure. I am very happy with how it turned out, and now to the finish room. Ounce again I will try to put some of the videos that my wife took of the boat under power!

Rob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by coryhenry
    Great job finishing the project, cant wait to see the paint!
    Thank you!

Name:	72001-2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	148116

This is one of many color schemes that I have seen used on the Hunley! Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) has two you tube videos that show his color rendition of this boat which looks great! I thought I might add a little rust into the loop! Going to do some experimentation to see what I can come up with!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Great job finishing the project, cant wait to see the paint!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Thanks Bob! I am finding out one thing for sure! Skill, knowledge, and patience is required for this hobby! I am gaining a lot of skill and knowledge, but I lack the patience it takes to do it right. I tend to get in a hurry to get the submarine I am working on done so that I can start the next one. I have built 10 in the water (Surface runners only, and stand off scale) submarines since I got into this hobby a year and half ago!! None of them are even close to the beautiful workmanship that I see from the group of guys on this forum!

"Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated" I see both perfection and excellence on this forum, and most of all I see the patience required to achieve both!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-07-2021, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Great work, Rob! Not sure if you've already been hit by the rivet-counters, but if so, tell them to pound sand. This is your boat. If you like it, that's the only thing that matters. I think it looks great.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I know this "HL Hunley' build has not been one of those so called dynamic builds, but I am here to say it is complete except for the final finish work!

Name:	P3070010.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	148089Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070009.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	148090

Name:	P3070008.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	148091Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070011.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	148092

Name:	P3070012.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	148093

Before anyone says anything about how I have fabricated this boat, please note it may not be true to scale in all aspects of the "EXACT" HL Hunley! If you go out and research this boat you will find a ton of different looks for this boat! I took it upon myself to build this boat so it would hold up during water operation and yet stay close to the original full scale form. You can see by the acrylic paints that I have on the desk it suggests it may not just be all flat black! I may give it a more rusty looking finish!? Not sure yet!

I will post up the final photos of the Hunley and the Housatonic together when finish is complete! Thank you for looking, and thank you for all the help and advice I got on this build!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...