My 1:77 Scale Disney Nautilus Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Some thoughts on the salon structure and how to fair it into the lower hull:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Some thoughts on the salon structure and how to fair it into the lower hull:

Thank you David! This is most likely going to be a stupid question on my part!? Where is the ballast tank?

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Now that the HL Hunley project is finished, I will be giving my FULL attention to the 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus build!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170007.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	148448Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170004.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	148449

As you can see, the Nautilus is on my work bench and ready for some serious work!! But along the way I wanted to share with you my precious (Sunhokey) Pursa i3 printer is back with me again! I built this printer from a kit 8 years ago! Perhaps some of you that are into 3D printing remember this kit from the past! Just had to share with you what a beauty she is! OK! Enough! On to the Nautilus build!

I am going full out on this build in every respect! And with some needed help along the way, it will be a full diving sub with some lighting and special effects.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Now that my HL Hunley is complete, I can now my resume the Disney Nautilus build! I Have the stern cut off and the mounting system complted!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	148993Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	148994Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	148998

I have also completed the bow hold down assembly as well! I am trying to follow Bob Martins 5 YouTube assembly videos on the Disney Nautilus, as well as David M's photos and suggestion on this build!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	148995Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	148996Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	148997

Thanks to both Bob and David for all the great building information they have for this Nautilus build!
          More to come!

Rob
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Looking good, Rob! I saw you started a message on my site, but there was no content. You cool? Need anything?

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Looking good, Rob! I saw you started a message on my site, but there was no content. You cool? Need anything?

Bob
              Thank you Bob!

Today I installed the port and starboard salon frames, and did some fill in around the outside of the frame as needed! I also cleaned up the bottom and top of the hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150001.jpg Views:	17 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	149019Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150002.jpg Views:	16 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	149020

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-16-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Got my computer up and running, so I can continue on with my build blog!

Rob
                Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-16-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Today I worked on the stern of the boat, and notched out the area around the prop shaft exit. In order to install the prop shaft adaptor that will allow the prop to move up and down in a slight vertical movement to allow the boat to submerge and surface more effectively!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4170003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	149084Click image for larger version  Name:	P4170004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	149085

There was some material removal to allow this fitting to be installed. If you go to Nautilus Drydocks you will see this installation and how it will operate on his YouTube!

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-18-2021, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

I have a question? I know this has most likely been answered a hundred times! I am thinking about purchasing from (Nautilus Drydocks) the seven piece photoetch kit for the Disney Nautilus! I do not want to paint or damage the top of the photoetch, I want the brass to show. I am going to do a rusty look for my final finish and then apply the photoetch. If I sand away some of the rusty finish and just do a light sanding to the underside of the photoetch and glue it down with super glue will that be adequate to hold it in place?

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

In order to install the prop shaft adaptor, I am going to have to remove more material from the bottom of the hull at the stern. This will allow the movement required for the shaft adaptor to work correctly!

Name:	P4180112.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	149092Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180111.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	149093

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                        I have a question? I know this has most likely been answered a hundred times! I am thinking about purchasing from (Nautilus Drydocks) the seven piece photoetch kit for the Disney Nautilus! I do not want to paint or damage the top of the photoetch, I want the brass to show. I am going to do a rusty look for my final finish and then apply the photoetch. If I sand away some of the rusty finish and just do a light sanding to the underside of the photoetch and glue it down with super glue will that be adequate to hold it in place?

Rob
                        Yep, should be fine. The big thing is creating a rough surface for your glue to adhere to.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

https://youtu.be/kOO_sz6Sh7U 02:15
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Thank you for the YouTube David! That is one nice looking Nautilus!

Bob! Thank you for the answer to my question on the brass photoetch! I know we covered that question on our ZOOM last week, just trying to learn all I can and do it the right way!

Thanks again, I do appreciate the information!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

I have completed the stern prop shaft adaptor system on the upper hull and the lower hull!

Name:	P4180003.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	149102Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180004.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	149103

As stated above, this stern prop shaft system will allow the prop shaft and prop to move in the vertical up and down.
                              I have really learned one thing about the Disney Nautilus build, there is a lot of cutting and material removal for the build! You just have to take your time, and have the tooling!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                • Aug 2009

I'm thinking of trying to lay up a new hull in epoxy fiberglass with a cast lower section. Would be a hybrid fabrication technique, but it would vastly reduce the weight above the waterline. Not many know, but those hulls are nominally 1/4" thick!

Comment

Working...