Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

My 1:77 Scale Disney Nautilus Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My 1:77 Scale Disney Nautilus Build

    I am finally on my Nautilus build!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	PC260006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	146191

    I got this complete kit from Bob, Nautilus Drydocks about 6 months ago! I finished up my Skipjack so now I can do the Nautilus! But I have two other Grandson projects
    that are part of the mix to finish!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	146192Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	146193
    "N" Scale train set up, & and oh yes 3D printed Ninja Turtle set!
    The Disney Nautilus is the final Sub build that I have planned for the future, unless Bob comes out with 3D files on a Sub that I got to have.

    Bear with me, I will be posting to the Nautilus build in the very near future!! "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to all!!

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-27-2020, 02:57 PM.

  • #2
    Rob,
    Happy New Year!
    peace,
    tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by trout View Post
      Rob,
      Happy New Year!
      peace,
      tom
      Thank you Tom! And a Very "Happy New Year" to you as well! Stay safe and well Tom!

      Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a question about the correct ESC to use on my 2" SD that came with the 1:77 Scale nautilus. I am thinking the Viper Marine 10 Mini with a 1.2A BEC should be a good ESC for this boat!? The bigger SUB 10 with a 40 amp motor limit and a 3A BEC would be a somewhat overkill for this application!? The battery that came with the kit is a 3 cell (11.1 volt) 850 MAH!

        The SD has a small brushed drive motor, small pump motor with 9g servo, and two 9g servos for rudder and dive system.

        Any recommendation on the ESC would be helpful. I am hoping the Mini 10 will be OK because of the limited amount of space for installation.

        Thanks for the help on this!

        Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post
          I have a question about the correct ESC to use on my 2" SD that came with the 1:77 Scale nautilus. I am thinking the Viper Marine 10 Mini with a 1.2A BEC should be a good ESC for this boat!? The bigger SUB 10 with a 40 amp motor limit and a 3A BEC would be a somewhat overkill for this application!? The battery that came with the kit is a 3 cell (11.1 volt) 850 MAH!

          The SD has a small brushed drive motor, small pump motor with 9g servo, and two 9g servos for rudder and dive system.

          Any recommendation on the ESC would be helpful. I am hoping the Mini 10 will be OK because of the limited amount of space for installation.

          Thanks for the help on this!

          Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"
          If this is a stock SD I manufactured it already has a ESC installed. And if so, DO NOT USE a 11.1 volt battery. Only use a two-cell battery! That motor is rated for 6 volts, not 12 volts.
          Resident Luddite

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

            If this is a stock SD I manufactured it already has a ESC installed. And if so, DO NOT USE a 11.1 volt battery. Only use a two-cell battery! That motor is rated for 6 volts, not 12 volts.
            David! Thank you very much! This is certainly one of your stock Sub Drivers! After taking a closer look at the motor compartment of the SD, I see what I believe to be the ESC that you installed that is attached to the underside of the pump with black friction tape.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040013.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	146391Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080002.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	146392

            I also located the correct 2 cell 7.4 volt 850 MAH battery that Bob sent with the kit! My question answered, and the issue with the battery solved, we are ready to move on!

            David! Thank you for being here for all of us!!

            Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

              David! Thank you very much! This is certainly one of your stock Sub Drivers! After taking a closer look at the motor compartment of the SD, I see what I believe to be the ESC that you installed that is attached to the underside of the pump with black friction tape.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040013.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	146391Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080002.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	146392

              I also located the correct 2 cell 7.4 volt 850 MAH battery that Bob sent with the kit! My question answered, and the issue with the battery solved, we are ready to move on!

              David! Thank you for being here for all of us!!

              Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat"
              Excellent! I can now wipe the sweat off my brow.

              Everything was Certified workings before it went off to Bob, so it should be a simple plug-and-play deal for you. If you're going to make this a fully functional r/c submarine let me recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch and yaw -- that will make an otherwise unruly submarine a great performer on and under the water.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	146395Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	146397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146398

              A short video showing how will this thing behaves submerged when vectoring the shaft for yaw and pitch control: https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

              David
              Resident Luddite

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

                Excellent! I can now wipe the sweat off my brow.

                Everything was Certified workings before it went off to Bob, so it should be a simple plug-and-play deal for you. If you're going to make this a fully functional r/c submarine let me recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch and yaw -- that will make an otherwise unruly submarine a great performer on and under the water.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	146395Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	146397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146398

                A short video showing how will this thing behaves submerged when vectoring the shaft for yaw and pitch control: https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

                David
                David,

                Thanks for the great photos showing the mechanism required to gimbal the propeller! A challenge it will be, but i do intend the Nautilus to be my very first FULLY functional r/c submarine! After viewing the video you sent me, I believe it will be a good sub for my swimming pool! I am really looking forward to this build!:-))

                Thank you again for all your help and expertise David! I most likely will be asking for more help with my Nautilus project!

                Rob
                "Firemen can stand the heat"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Standing by, Rob.

                  David
                  Resident Luddite

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd fit a separate BEC. The built in items are really only intended to power one servo, two at the most with modest friction.

                    What do you have in that cylinder, thee SG90 servos? They can pull up to about 0.7A each on stall, that's the best part of 2A for all three. Bearing in mind that servos work harder in subs through shaft seal friction, with constant movement from a leveller on the rear planes, and that little built in linear BEC is going to be earning its working very hard, probably too hard. Then also remember it's inside a sealed container with no air flow.

                    If the BEC expires, the controller goes with it too. A separate BEC costs a couple of quid, and even modest ones are rated at 3A, which is plenty for a boat that size.
                    DIVE IN! Go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON! http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Subculture (sorry I do not have your name)

                      Thank you for chiming in on my build! I am not sure what size BEC is in the ESC that David used on this 2" SD!? Your information makes good since, and is greatly appreciated! I am sure David can give me some information on the BEC that is incorporated into the ESC, if there is one!?

                      Thank you again!

                      Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post
                        Subculture (sorry I do not have your name)

                        Thank you for chiming in on my build! I am not sure what size BEC is in the ESC that David used on this 2" SD!? Your information makes good since, and is greatly appreciated! I am sure David can give me some information on the BEC that is incorporated into the ESC, if there is one!?

                        Thank you again!

                        Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat"
                        The BEC built into the installed and tested ESC has all the limitations Andy pointed our, Rob. But, as this will be a pool toy, never operated in a body of water you won't go into to retrieve the model, you're OK burdening the existing BEC with the load. If if pops, you go swimming. No big deal. I'm so cavalier in this matter owing to the fact that there is little room in your little 2" SD for a dedicated BEC device, no matter how small it is. But, if you wish, we can cram one in the forward dry space next to the battery. Your call.

                        As a side note, Andrew Lawrence has, on more than one occasion, pulled my nuts out of the fire with timely, sound advice and actual hardware of his own manufacture. He's the real deal and a voice to be reckoned with. He knows his ****!

                        David
                        Resident Luddite

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

                          The BEC built into the installed and tested ESC has all the limitations Andy pointed our, Rob. But, as this will be a pool toy, never operated in a body of water you won't go into to retrieve the model, you're OK burdening the existing BEC with the load. If if pops, you go swimming. No big deal. I'm so cavalier in this matter owing to the fact that there is little room in your little 2" SD for a dedicated BEC device, no matter how small it is. But, if you wish, we can cram one in the forward dry space next to the battery. Your call.

                          As a side note, Andrew Lawrence has, on more than one occasion, pulled my nuts out of the fire with timely, sound advice and actual hardware of his own manufacture. He's the real deal and a voice to be reckoned with. He knows his ****!

                          David
                          David & Andrew,

                          The ONLY place the Nautilus will get wet will be in my pool, and my run times normally are only 10 to 15 min. at the most! I fill secure in what David says, and if does pop it will be very easy to retrieve and at that point I may look into installation of an additional BEC! David thank you for sharing Andrews name with me!

                          thank you guys!!:-))

                          Rob
                          "Firemen can stand the heat"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Today I cut the salon frame work and re-glued back to the upper hull!

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	146428

                            I also drilled out the opening for the salon panel lights. I did a little fill in work around the salon frame. All in all the cut and drilling went great. I am using Bob martins (Nautilus Drydocks) videos that he has put up for doing the sub build! They are and will be a great help as I move along.

                            Rob
                            "Firemen can stand the heat"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Today I am working on the salons and cleaning up the area where they are to be installed!

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070007.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	146473

                              Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X