• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

My 1:77 Scale Disney Nautilus Build

I am finally on my Nautilus build!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PC260006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	146191

I got this complete kit from Bob, Nautilus Drydocks about 6 months ago! I finished up my Skipjack so now I can do the Nautilus! But I have two other Grandson projects
    that are part of the mix to finish!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	146192Click image for larger version  Name:	PC270009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	146193
    "N" Scale train set up, & and oh yes 3D printed Ninja Turtle set!
    The Disney Nautilus is the final Sub build that I have planned for the future, unless Bob comes out with 3D files on a Sub that I got to have.

Bear with me, I will be posting to the Nautilus build in the very near future!! "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to all!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-27-2020, 03:57 PM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Rob,
    Happy New Year!
    peace,
    tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
      Rob,
      Happy New Year!
      peace,
      tom
      Thank you Tom! And a Very "Happy New Year" to you as well! Stay safe and well Tom!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I have a question about the correct ESC to use on my 2" SD that came with the 1:77 Scale nautilus. I am thinking the Viper Marine 10 Mini with a 1.2A BEC should be a good ESC for this boat!? The bigger SUB 10 with a 40 amp motor limit and a 3A BEC would be a somewhat overkill for this application!? The battery that came with the kit is a 3 cell (11.1 volt) 850 MAH!

The SD has a small brushed drive motor, small pump motor with 9g servo, and two 9g servos for rudder and dive system.

Any recommendation on the ESC would be helpful. I am hoping the Mini 10 will be OK because of the limited amount of space for installation.

Thanks for the help on this!

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
          I have a question about the correct ESC to use on my 2" SD that came with the 1:77 Scale nautilus. I am thinking the Viper Marine 10 Mini with a 1.2A BEC should be a good ESC for this boat!? The bigger SUB 10 with a 40 amp motor limit and a 3A BEC would be a somewhat overkill for this application!? The battery that came with the kit is a 3 cell (11.1 volt) 850 MAH!

The SD has a small brushed drive motor, small pump motor with 9g servo, and two 9g servos for rudder and dive system.

Any recommendation on the ESC would be helpful. I am hoping the Mini 10 will be OK because of the limited amount of space for installation.

Thanks for the help on this!

Rob
          If this is a stock SD I manufactured it already has a ESC installed. And if so, DO NOT USE a 11.1 volt battery. Only use a two-cell battery! That motor is rated for 6 volts, not 12 volts.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

If this is a stock SD I manufactured it already has a ESC installed. And if so, DO NOT USE a 11.1 volt battery. Only use a two-cell battery! That motor is rated for 6 volts, not 12 volts.
            David! Thank you very much! This is certainly one of your stock Sub Drivers! After taking a closer look at the motor compartment of the SD, I see what I believe to be the ESC that you installed that is attached to the underside of the pump with black friction tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040013.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	146391Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080002.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	146392

I also located the correct 2 cell 7.4 volt 850 MAH battery that Bob sent with the kit! My question answered, and the issue with the battery solved, we are ready to move on!

David! Thank you for being here for all of us!!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

David! Thank you very much! This is certainly one of your stock Sub Drivers! After taking a closer look at the motor compartment of the SD, I see what I believe to be the ESC that you installed that is attached to the underside of the pump with black friction tape.

Name:	P1040013.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	146391Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080002.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	146392

I also located the correct 2 cell 7.4 volt 850 MAH battery that Bob sent with the kit! My question answered, and the issue with the battery solved, we are ready to move on!

David! Thank you for being here for all of us!!

Rob
              Excellent! I can now wipe the sweat off my brow.

Everything was Certified workings before it went off to Bob, so it should be a simple plug-and-play deal for you. If you're going to make this a fully functional r/c submarine let me recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch and yaw -- that will make an otherwise unruly submarine a great performer on and under the water.

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	146395Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	146397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146398

A short video showing how will this thing behaves submerged when vectoring the shaft for yaw and pitch control: https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Excellent! I can now wipe the sweat off my brow.

Everything was Certified workings before it went off to Bob, so it should be a simple plug-and-play deal for you. If you're going to make this a fully functional r/c submarine let me recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch and yaw -- that will make an otherwise unruly submarine a great performer on and under the water.

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	146395Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	146397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146398

A short video showing how will this thing behaves submerged when vectoring the shaft for yaw and pitch control: https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

David
                David,

Thanks for the great photos showing the mechanism required to gimbal the propeller! A challenge it will be, but i do intend the Nautilus to be my very first FULLY functional r/c submarine! After viewing the video you sent me, I believe it will be a good sub for my swimming pool! I am really looking forward to this build!:-))

Thank you again for all your help and expertise David! I most likely will be asking for more help with my Nautilus project!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Standing by, Rob.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I'd fit a separate BEC. The built in items are really only intended to power one servo, two at the most with modest friction.

What do you have in that cylinder, thee SG90 servos? They can pull up to about 0.7A each on stall, that's the best part of 2A for all three. Bearing in mind that servos work harder in subs through shaft seal friction, with constant movement from a leveller on the rear planes, and that little built in linear BEC is going to be earning its working very hard, probably too hard. Then also remember it's inside a sealed container with no air flow.

If the BEC expires, the controller goes with it too. A separate BEC costs a couple of quid, and even modest ones are rated at 3A, which is plenty for a boat that size.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Subculture (sorry I do not have your name)

Thank you for chiming in on my build! I am not sure what size BEC is in the ESC that David used on this 2" SD!? Your information makes good since, and is greatly appreciated! I am sure David can give me some information on the BEC that is incorporated into the ESC, if there is one!?

Thank you again!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Subculture (sorry I do not have your name)

Thank you for chiming in on my build! I am not sure what size BEC is in the ESC that David used on this 2" SD!? Your information makes good since, and is greatly appreciated! I am sure David can give me some information on the BEC that is incorporated into the ESC, if there is one!?

Thank you again!

Rob
                        The BEC built into the installed and tested ESC has all the limitations Andy pointed our, Rob. But, as this will be a pool toy, never operated in a body of water you won't go into to retrieve the model, you're OK burdening the existing BEC with the load. If if pops, you go swimming. No big deal. I'm so cavalier in this matter owing to the fact that there is little room in your little 2" SD for a dedicated BEC device, no matter how small it is. But, if you wish, we can cram one in the forward dry space next to the battery. Your call.

As a side note, Andrew Lawrence has, on more than one occasion, pulled my nuts out of the fire with timely, sound advice and actual hardware of his own manufacture. He's the real deal and a voice to be reckoned with. He knows his ****!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

The BEC built into the installed and tested ESC has all the limitations Andy pointed our, Rob. But, as this will be a pool toy, never operated in a body of water you won't go into to retrieve the model, you're OK burdening the existing BEC with the load. If if pops, you go swimming. No big deal. I'm so cavalier in this matter owing to the fact that there is little room in your little 2" SD for a dedicated BEC device, no matter how small it is. But, if you wish, we can cram one in the forward dry space next to the battery. Your call.

As a side note, Andrew Lawrence has, on more than one occasion, pulled my nuts out of the fire with timely, sound advice and actual hardware of his own manufacture. He's the real deal and a voice to be reckoned with. He knows his ****!

David
                          David & Andrew,

The ONLY place the Nautilus will get wet will be in my pool, and my run times normally are only 10 to 15 min. at the most! I fill secure in what David says, and if does pop it will be very easy to retrieve and at that point I may look into installation of an additional BEC! David thank you for sharing Andrews name with me!

thank you guys!!:-))

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Today I cut the salon frame work and re-glued back to the upper hull!

Name:	P1060002.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	146428

I also drilled out the opening for the salon panel lights. I did a little fill in work around the salon frame. All in all the cut and drilling went great. I am using Bob martins (Nautilus Drydocks) videos that he has put up for doing the sub build! They are and will be a great help as I move along.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Today I am working on the salons and cleaning up the area where they are to be installed!

Name:	P1070007.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	146473

Rob

Comment

Working...