X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Lots done yesterday!
    I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
    This is one case where a towed micro 2.4 MHZ receiver would work mounted in the drag barrel harpooned to the shark and s-bussed to the servos.

BTW one of our club guys is using a set of real piranha jaws on the flybridge and it looks awesome! (the shark was named Bruce because Steven Spielberg's lawyer was named Bruce)

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Lots done yesterday!

SubDriver MKIII prototype is about 60% complete. This will be a 250/250/250 variant, 2.5" in diameter throughout the entire length. This photo was from the morning. I have the motor bulkhead complete along with the pump bulkhead. I should be able to get most if it done today if things go well.

Name:	20201020_085335.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	144574
    More work on the Hunley prototype. Getting close to linkage installation. The challenge is going to be converting the linear action of the rear servo to rotary action for the unique rudder arrangement. Any ideas on a simple solution for this?

Name:	20201020_142947.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	144575

Upgrades for Mike Martin's Type VII are underway. I'm actually pulling the entire cylinder and installing a 3" unit, which fits nicely. This will have a working sound system as well as LED lighting. If I can swing it (and there are NO promises here), it will have at least one functional torpedo as well!

Name:	20201020_120405.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	144573

I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ffr2608
    replied
    Nice looking boats! Can't wait to see your progress on the Lotus as I pulled mine down from the rafters.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Beautiful. Both of 'em!

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Managed to get the Nautilus finished up! The paint ended up being over seven steps, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. This display model features a full interior in both the wheelhouse and salon area, LED lighting, fully actuating rudder and dive planes, open or closed breather display parts, superdetailed skiff, and an operational propeller. She is getting boxed today and shipped to the customer in France!

Name:	20201015_125730.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	144452Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_125726.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	144450Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_125744.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	144446Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_125737.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	144451
    Aside from packing up orders, Jason and I also had a few minutes to go onto assembling the prototype parts for the upcoming HL Hunley 3D CAD file offering. This is a really gorgeous model and I'm excited to see it completely assembled.

Name:	20201015_134514.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	144448

Name:	20201015_134521.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	144447
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    I just don't know where the days go... I wake up at 3:30am, work all day, and then start all over. I barely have time to check the forums, let alone post often, but I need to change that.

Let's try again...

1:144 Typhoon kit is in the works. Master patterns are on the mounting boards, and have the first coat of primer. Probably another 4 to 5 sand/fill/prime cycles before it will be ready for rubber.

Name:	20201014_134655.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	144403

James Bond Lotus is back on the bench. Again, lots of sanding, filling and priming right now. Should be epic once ready! Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_134818.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	144400

Finishing up a 77th scale Nautilus static display model with full interior, lights and moving prop. With luck, I will be ready to ship by the end of the week.

Name:	20201014_134724.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	144402

Our next 3D file kit will be the HL Hunley. Prototype parts are printed and ready for assembly. Working on an assembly video now.

Name:	20201014_134800.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	144401

1/6 Delphin hull mold is done. This will be a hybrid kit with fiberglass and 3D printed parts. Hopefully it will form the basis for a sub $750 complete RC sub kit! It will be a rocket! I've sourced a beautiful contrarotating drive assembly for the prototype.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick Teskey
    Wrap your ass in fiberglass!
    It'll make it itch.

Leave a comment:

• Rick Teskey
    replied
    Great! Wrap your ass in fiberglass! Can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Making a mold is definitely on my mind. I think this would be a good seller. I'd have to re-print the stern and bow sections to make them more appropriate for molding, split at the same height so that I wouldn't have to mess with a parting board. In order to get all those awesome deck details, I'd want to make a rubber hardbacked tool.

Thinking, thinking...

Bob

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman

Name:	Hulloverview.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	142406 I just got a Delta Wasp and I'm loving it! narrow, but tall... perfect for RC subs. I have the new Typhoon printing away on it now. That is going to be a GORGEOUS boat!
    Oh Lord! Another one I will have to get...

Leave a comment:

• Rick Teskey
    replied
    Stunning !!! Bob the planning of this project and your continued futherment of this hobby is mind blowing ,Well done!
    Any plans on making a glass mold from a printed hull?

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Awesome, I just ordered a Prusa 3S. Let me know when you sell the Typhoon plans.

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied

Name:	Hulloverview.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	142406 I just got a Delta Wasp and I'm loving it! narrow, but tall... perfect for RC subs. I have the new Typhoon printing away on it now. That is going to be a GORGEOUS boat!

Leave a comment:

• coryhenry
    replied
    Thanks Bob, What PLA+ printer do you use?

Leave a comment:

Working...