today's work

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Moderator

    • Aug 2008
    • 13965

    #3826
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

    The trick is to re-scribe as the putty is half-dried; hard enough to push out of the scribing tools way as you dig the putty out of the engraving, but soft enough to keep from chipping away from the filled area adjacent to the engraved line.
    Not to blow smoke up your back-side, Tim... but unlike most of the slackers who hide in the shadows at this site, you're one of the precious few who ask the pertinent questions and then apply what you've been taught, critique your results, and follow up with INFORMED questions to refine the technique you are embracing at the moment.

    And... here comes the bonus points, Student: You are compliant and attentive. Just like this guy:



    David
    The Horrible
    Who is John Galt?

    Comment

    • Timothy L
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Sep 2024
      • 238

      #3827
      Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

      Not to blow smoke up your back-side, Tim... but unlike most of the slackers who hide in the shadows at this site, you're one of the precious few who ask the pertinent questions and then apply what you've been taught, critique your results, and follow up with INFORMED questions to refine the technique you are embracing at the moment.

      And... here comes the bonus points, Student: You are compliant and attentive. Just like this guy:



      David
      The Horrible
      This is why I continue to say “For me I have found that the ever friendly, sweet natured, gently and kindly offered advice from that puppy dog David Merriman [aka Mr Mush Mellow] is my baseline.”
      Last edited by Timothy L; 10-02-2026, 06:49 PM.

      Comment

      • He Who Shall Not Be Named
        Moderator

        • Aug 2008
        • 13965

        #3828
        Originally posted by Timothy L

        This is why I continue to say “For me I have found that the ever friendly, sweet natured, gently and kindly offered advice from that puppy dog David Merriman [aka Mr Mush Mellow] is my baseline.”
        I. Hate. You.
        Who is John Galt?

        Comment

        • Timothy L
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Sep 2024
          • 238

          #3829
          Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

          I. Hate. You.
          Oh that made me laugh so hard.

          But Dang David LOL - apparently God has your same sentiments and threw me into the hospital on a morphine drip for some incredible pain. I hear by swear I will never call you a mush mellow again LOL (good ju-ju juice).

          Comment

          • He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Moderator

            • Aug 2008
            • 13965

            #3830
            Originally posted by Timothy L

            Oh that made me laugh so hard.

            But Dang David LOL - apparently God has your same sentiments and threw me into the hospital on a morphine drip for some incredible pain. I hear by swear I will never call you a mush mellow again LOL (good ju-ju juice).
            So, let that be a lesson to ya!!

            (on a more serious note)

            What the hell happened, Tim? Are you on the mend? Does this mean I have to start being nice to you???..... ****!

            David
            Guilty of Mystical over-reach
            Who is John Galt?

            Comment

            • Timothy L
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Sep 2024
              • 238

              #3831
              Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

              So, let that be a lesson to ya!!

              (on a more serious note)

              What the hell happened, Tim? Are you on the mend? Does this mean I have to start being nice to you???..... ****!

              David
              Guilty of Mystical over-reach
              Jeezus David - if you try to be nice to me, it will put YOU in the hospital LOL! They want me to stay in this joint because they say the pain cannot be managed at home. Nothing to freak out about - if you really want to know the gory details I’ll send an email. You do realize I am talking through the ju-ju juice LOL!???! Laughing at your responses is great medicine too!!!

              Comment

              • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Moderator

                • Aug 2008
                • 13965

                #3832
                Originally posted by Timothy L

                Jeezus David - if you try to be nice to me, it will put YOU in the hospital LOL! They want me to stay in this joint because they say the pain cannot be managed at home. Nothing to freak out about - if you really want to know the gory details I’ll send an email. You do realize I am talking through the ju-ju juice LOL!???! Laughing at your responses is great medicine too!!!
                Well, ****, that settles it; I'll have to find some other schmuck to vent my spleen all over. You've ruined EVERYTHING, Tim!

                Nice work.

                (e-mail to follow).

                David
                Who is John Galt?

                Comment

                • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Moderator

                  • Aug 2008
                  • 13965

                  #3833






















                  Who is John Galt?

                  Comment

                  • ffr2608
                    Commander

                    • Oct 2009
                    • 347

                    #3834
                    Drill baby drill............

                    Comment

                    • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      Moderator

                      • Aug 2008
                      • 13965

                      #3835










































                      Who is John Galt?

                      Comment

                      • biggsgolf
                        Rear Admiral

                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1036

                        #3836
                        David, off subject question. Do know the specs on these three gears? Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	198004

                        Comment

                        • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          Moderator

                          • Aug 2008
                          • 13965

                          #3837
                          Originally posted by biggsgolf
                          David, off subject question. Do know the specs on these three gears? Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	198004
                          Unfortunately I'm not able to secure a reliable source for the spur gears anymore -- without 'minimums' (at outragiouse prices). I don't have the resources to buy the low number of units I need. Sorry. Spur gears like what I had used for decades are no longer within reach. So, the gear reduction units I once produced are no longer available from me.
                          Who is John Galt?

                          Comment

                          • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Moderator

                            • Aug 2008
                            • 13965

                            #3838
                            Originally posted by biggsgolf
                            David, off subject question. Do know the specs on these three gears? Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	198004
                            .759" diameter, 36 theeth, 48 degree, .375" bore, .125" thick. Lotsa luck. I can't buy them anymore. Stock Drive only serves the 'big boys' these days it seems.
                            Who is John Galt?

                            Comment

                            • NavyShooter
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade

                              • Jul 2026
                              • 43

                              #3839
                              Question - what material are you making the end caps from?

                              I was working on a 3D printed design...then realized after looking at your pictures here that I could do the same with my lathe out in the garage (its seriously under-utilized...)

                              Comment

                              • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Moderator

                                • Aug 2008
                                • 13965

                                #3840
                                Originally posted by NavyShooter
                                Question - what material are you making the end caps from?

                                I was working on a 3D printed design...then realized after looking at your pictures here that I could do the same with my lathe out in the garage (its seriously under-utilized...)
                                Normal polyurethane casting resin, typically from BJB or Alumilite, cast in RTV rubber tools.















                                Who is John Galt?

                                Comment

                                Working...