Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

the catalyzing resin does not produce any substantial exothermic reaction (heat) that can distort the 3D printed master?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
      Are you building the rubber up in layers and/or added any thickening additives?
      Yes. However, the first layer is un-thickened so that it can flow freely enough to find its way into all the crevasses and engravings of the master/pattern. later laminates of this rubber are thickened to increase build-up till the optimum wall thickness of the glove mold -- about 1/4" -- is achieved.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
        the catalyzing resin does not produce any substantial exothermic reaction (heat) that can distort the 3D printed master?
        Correct. I use external heat sources (IR lamps) to accelerate the rubbers cure.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Nice work David. What kind of tools do you use to transfer the outlines of the hull onto the parting plane. That's something I always have a hard time doing in a satisfying way.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Why not just cut the master in half then glue them onto a flat board?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                Why not just cut the master in half then glue them onto a flat board?
                Tried that with the first master Joe sent me -- the result of the split was pure disaster.

Hey, Romel: how about reading the entire thread -- that way you would have been informed of that incident and would not take up my precious time repeating myself.

David
                On The Clock
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                  Nice work David. What kind of tools do you use to transfer the outlines of the hull onto the parting plane. That's something I always have a hard time doing in a satisfying way.
                  Outside calipers, multi-point proportional divider, custom cut stencils, and plenty of elbow-grease.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

Cutting a master is always dangerous, as it can deform and bend, resulting in a grp hull with non-fitting halves. That's why I always make solid masters, use parting planes, and try to generate rigid molds. If you want separate masters, then you have to start making the master demountable right from start. But there will still be the risk of warpage and bending.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Cutting a master is always dangerous, as it can deform and bend, resulting in a grp hull with non-fitting halves. That's why I always make solid masters, use parting planes, and try to generate rigid molds. If you want separate masters, then you have to start making the master demountable right from start. But there will still be the risk of warpage and bending.
                      Point taken

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Are you adding registration points on the tool after moulding, or is the intention to join the parts outside of the tool?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                          Are you adding registration points on the tool after moulding, or is the intention to join the parts outside of the tool?
                          Yes, the eventual hull halves will be stand-alone structures, later integrated in a Z configuration with add-on indexing tabs and flanges installed to keep the radial and linear edges in registration.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

I'm still intrigued by the soft sleeve in a rigid case approach. Totally different from what I've learned building RC race planes. How many copies will you be able to pull out of such a mold?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm still intrigued by the soft sleeve in a rigid case approach. Totally different from what I've learned building RC race planes. How many copies will you be able to pull out of such a mold?
                                Maybe 30 if I use a PVC barrier. 15 if I don't -- that's with the TC-5040 'brushable' rubber I'm using here. Over 100 if I use the TC-5050 -- which has to be poured, as demonstrated here:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...