Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot

You’re across the pond. He’s close to us. It’s the Force ya know.
    Good point, Casey. What the hell use is the Dark Side of the Force if I don't swing it around a bit.

So...

... Hey, Manfred! That same Bronco kit document, the one that told me 'white' for the sail marking, is also telling me that the below boot-toping color is a black lightly doped with red -- a very, very dark purple. What say you, oh North European Master of the Craft.

(For those looking over our shoulder, Manfred is an expert model builder/engineer and has built and operated some of the best-looking WW2 era German submarine models on this planet -- this guy knows his ****! And on more than one occasion has pulled my Chesnuts out of the fire).

David
    Avoiding Another Ass-Whooping
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
      Commander
      • Sep 2020

Wars end, maybe the krauts ran outta yellow paint...lol

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

David,

Light grey above the waterline, and dark grey under the waterline, don't forget the steel propellor instead of a brass one, they started to run out of materials.

As for the other side of the pond, we are all seperated by one mouse-click these days.

Manfred.

Last edited by MFR1964; 08-06-2022, 09:51 AM.
        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
          David,

Light grey above the waterline, and dark grey under the waterline, don't forget the steel propellor instead of a brass one, they started to run out of materials.

As for the other side of the pond, we are all seperated by one mouse-click these days.

Manfred.

Yeah, I've already derived a method to make the white-metal propeller look like a well tarnished (but as yet un-rusted) steel one. I'll have pictures of that process up by end of the weekend.

Dark gray bottom. Gotcha, friend. Was there a black boot-topping between upper and lower grays, Manfred?

Yes, the Internet has opened up so many avenues of knowledge and cooperation. I'm with you there, pal.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

David.

No black boot-topping between both colours, just simple light grey and dark grey, those colours where the standard in the Kriegsmarine, there are some subs which carry a mottled camouflage, but those where more related to their operationmodus at the battlefield.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

David.

No black boot-topping between both colours, just simple light grey and dark grey, those colours where the standard in the Kriegsmarine, there are some subs which carry a mottled camouflage, but those where more related to their operationmodus at the battlefield.

Manfred.
              Great timing, Manfred. I just finished mixing up the dark gray and about to start blasting away. Should have shots of the work out later today. Thanks for all your help through the decades.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Decades, we sound like old farts

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

There is just as much detail inside the sail as on the outside. Gorgeous...

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Slick as can be.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubDude
                        There is just as much detail inside the sail as on the outside. Gorgeous...
                        I must say, for an injection type model kit, this 1/35th scale Type-23 from Bronco is the best out there! Other than the color painting graphics (which Manfred warned me of in time to fix the white-yellow issue) this kit shows a lot of love on the part of the researchers and kit design team. Part break-down and indexing system is rational and executed with very healthy tools and excellent packaging. No short-shots, voids or extraction pine markings to deal with. A wonderful kit to assembly, and so easily converted to r/c.

I know Bob was trying to get a bulk buy of these kits -- I so hope he can swing a deal. This boat is easy to assemble, is reasonably sized, and is very maneuverable atop and under the water.

Hey, Bronco: Get this kit back into the rotation! There's a viable market out there for this product!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Decades, we sound like old farts

Manfred.
                          "You snot-nosed kids.... get off my lawn!!"
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I must say, for an injection type model kit, this 1/35th scale Type-23 from Bronco is the best out there! Other than the color painting graphics (which Manfred warned me of in time to fix the white-yellow issue) this kit shows a lot of love on the part of the researchers and kit design team. Part break-down and indexing system is rational and executed with very healthy tools and excellent packaging. No short-shots, voids or extraction pine markings to deal with. A wonderful kit to assembly, and so easily converted to r/c.

I know Bob was trying to get a bulk buy of these kits -- I so hope he can swing a deal. This boat is easy to assemble, is reasonably sized, and is very maneuverable atop and under the water.

Hey, Bronco: Get this kit back into the rotation! There's a viable market out there for this product!

David
                            I got hold of two. One I’m giving to the Georgia raffle, the other I’m keeping for myself.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
                                Commander
                                • Sep 2020

Wonderful thread on this Model Very Useful Thank you David & Manfred.

I hope its ok th ask here. Manfred? Would the Type XVIIB - particularly the U-1407 that later became HMS Meteorite in other threads have used a Steel propellor too?

Also I read somewhere the teak wood bridge decking on the Type XVIIB & Type XXIII was oriented athwartships (side to side) not fore and aft to save yard building material. This correct?

See many models of these boats with fore & aft decking in their bridge. I'd like to get it right even if at the expense of spending time explaining at a pond why the decking would seem off to most folks. The drawings from the National Maritime Museum (Below) of HMS Meteorite seem to show (but only in these profile views) the decking oriented athwartships. In close, the bridge details in the same drawings show spaced planks in cross sections. About to add these details & which way to orient the decking is driving me nuts.

Thank you Steve

Click image for larger version  Name:	vXRiLOY.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	163569Click image for larger version  Name:	Xhwshz6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	163568
                                Last edited by Albacore 569; 08-09-2022, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...