Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Last set of photos.....what are you doing? No, I know what you are doing you are marking waterline, but why? It is taped correctly, yes? Isn't the hull already split? So many questions.....Love learning from you.
    There are usually -- for boats that have spent time tied up in waters of varied specific gravity, mineral content and varied temperatures -- what appears to be one or more minor bands of discoloration beneath the boats designed waterline. What you see in those shots you referred too is the laying down of a pencil fantom waterline, later used to guide me as I brush and spray-paint these band(s) of discoloration. I call the scheme: 'the parfait effect'; the stratification of various forms of marine fouling.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Last set of photos.....what are you doing? No, I know what you are doing you are marking waterline, but why? It is taped correctly, yes? Isn't the hull already split? So many questions.....Love learning from you.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    I know you use a hobby knife, peckerhead. Thanks for the lesson.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    Dave,
    how in the world do you cut the painter tape strips so precisely?
    With a straight-edge and new #11 knife blade. Duh!

You first de-tack the low-stick 'blue' painters masking tape by pre-loading it with lint from your shirt or pants (to further reduce its tack); stick it to a plastic sheet cutting board; and hack away.

A compass cutter is another useful mask-cutting tool. As are brass tube punches.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Dave,
    how in the world do you cut the painter tape strips so precisely?

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Has anybody done a Spindrift RC sub?

Guess it'll just be a redux of the VTTBOTS Flying Sub.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    I don't see you using that fine line tape. Why not? I have the blue which is flexible. And the brown which is good for straight runs. The fine line tape does give a nice sharp edge. The painters tape is certainly great for custom curves where fine line tape will not work.
    Why buy that pricy thin stuff when you can easily strip your own to make tight radius capable lengths of masking tape.

David
    The Magnificent​

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I don't see you using that fine line tape. Why not? I have the blue which is flexible. And the brown which is good for straight runs. The fine line tape does give a nice sharp edge. The painters tape is certainly great for custom curves where fine line tape will not work.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    What is the difference between obsession and perfection?
    Little. Can't have one without the other.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    I believe David Merriman has his second wind.

Leave a comment:

Working...