X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

A rare overhead view of the German uboats that had there superstructures cut down to increase diving speed.Click image for larger version

Name:	elu873siendoremolcadose.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	65198
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

thats U 234 a type XB minelayer those voids were for the external mine storage. That particular boat was the last u boat captured in the war. It wasnt being used as a minelayer, but cargo, hense no mines. Besides a compleetly dissassembles ME 262 jet and a handful of Japanese scientists, It had a bunch of uranium on board headed for Japan s nuke bomb project. Ironicly the manhattan project hijacked the uranium for the bombs because they didnt have a sufficient ammount to complete the fatman and little boy. That pic is of the tugs bringing her in to Portsmouth NH Naval base after the surrender. Note the American sailors on the bow, standing by for line handeling. BTW the Japanese guys didnt wait to surrender, and were burried at sea. U_234 is uranium as well.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The mines were stored on top of the deck? Because I dont see any hatches there for mine stowage below decks.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Here is U-190, a typeIXC 0Click image for larger version

Name:	u190.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	65225
          Last edited by greenman407; 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Type IXC U-516 Aerial viewClick image for larger version

Name:	u516rdditionenmai1945.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	65226
            Last edited by greenman407; 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Type IXD2 U-875 up close.Click image for larger version

Name:	u875encalesche.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	65227
              Last edited by greenman407; 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

I have often wondered how they were stowed, as I dont recall ever seeing a picture of one with the mines. Either type, the verticle dispensers for the round mines, or the long cylinder type, which is what I assume went there. Perhaps with racks similar to the torpedo racks on the PT and Shnell boats. Not the tubes like on the early boats that shot the torpedo, but the roll offs. I know there were only a few of those IXD2 conversions and most of them that operated late in the war were used for various other missions other than mine laying.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Blimp meets subClick image for larger version

Name:	Blimp meets sub.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	65237

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

US SK5 with a good head of steamClick image for larger version

Name:	US Sk5.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	65250

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Mark,
                      Thank you for doing the research and finding all these fun photos. Some just hit a spot in me that brings up my affection for submarines, some are just bizarre (like the blimp at waters edge) enough to catch your imagination, some I have never seen before, some are great treasures of history (like the spy shooting a target), some have great details that I can use in modeling (like crud at the waterline), and some are just because of the location (like the muddy Mississippi - I lived in Missouri for awhile). Kudos to you and again thank you.
                      Peace,
                      Tom
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Thanks trout, and by the way: "Make it so number one"........................sorry, it was the only one I could think of. Hows Las Vegas? I drove in there one time from Los Angelos in a rental car from LAX. Then rented a RV from "Cruise America" and drove up thru 5 states including Colorado and Lake Powell. The best vacation I ever had.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Yeah, I am a geek, no need to apologize... I remember watching Batman, Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Star Trek (to name a few) when they originally ran (throw in Star Wars and most other Sci Fi movies). The reason for my signature line is it combines my enjoyment for Sci-Fi and my favorite beverage, coffee. How is Las Vegas? It is a desert. Not bad to live in, but like any place it has its pluses and minuses. I miss the green of a forest, the blue of an ocean, the sounds of a river, the hush of a snow fall, and the seasons. We seem to have two seasons here, Hot and not so hot. I would say cold, but I have lived where sub-zero was a nice day. Right now it is in the 60's for the highs and mid 40's for the low. I am close enough to California, Utah, or Arizona for a change in scenery. You know maybe we can get a big sub-meet here in Las Vegas - those that have hard water might want a winter change????? What about Florida? How do you like it?
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Well, I dont know of any place any better. The summers are too hot and the winters are too cold. So , I like the spring and the fall. You learn to adapt. Chasing rainbows gets expensive and the rainbow doesnt get any closer. Speaking of your signature line, do you type that in everytime or is it pre-set? If it is , I want one.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

(I had a sig line. Mike took it away from me though)
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Yes, I agree with you about chasing rainbows. You have to make the best of wherever you are!
                                I do not type it in each time, go to "My Profile" at the top right of the page. Under "About Me" is an area to put in a signature line. Click on the pencil to edit. Let me know if this makes sense, if not I can get into details.

Comment

Working...