Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

I like the booze idea, alcohol will desinfect those germs, it's getting better after David's fatherly advice (still hate him).
    I personally think that those Pearl Harbour boats had to meet specific demands for penetrating the torpedo-nets, later variants did not have the need for such things like the anti fowling cables, so they adopted a more simple design.
    I'll go with the anti fowling cables, the more stuff on the boat, the better it is, had the same experience with my type VII, it kinds of dresses your boat up, it made me decide to go for the extended wintergarten conningtower on the type VII, this way i could place a wopping 8 20 mm guns to scare off those allied pilots.
    Tomorrow i'll start up the SkunkWorks for some buildingtime, let's see if i can show some progress later this week.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Every day I find out more about them. The basic hull and tower of all the varients of the A class were the same. Its like the type VIIs with all the different add on modifications. That leaves the door wide open for a basic kit production with any exterior mods by the builder's choice. If you notice on the boats that were in Sidney harbor had that "Jules Verne" look, with the big net cutter affair, on the tower and the big sawtooth, German type bow rig,in conjunction with the unusual torpedo guard. (Wich, by the way didnt work out so well, as this particular boat was snagged, in the Sidney netting.) The Austrailians have a different system of numbers for the boats M24=I-24touClick image for larger version

Name:	M24.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	98133Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha14.jpg
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	98134Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha14props.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	98135note that these boats have the full cage prop guards as well, like the Ha8. I believe they all had that configguration aft. The majority of the ones on display elsewhere were dammaged and discarded before restoration. I also noticed that in the pictures of some of the un recovered wreckson the bottom have the remminance of the double ring cage.The actual IJN designation for this boat is Ha14
      Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-31-2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MFR1964
        I like the booze idea, alcohol will desinfect those germs, it's getting better after David's fatherly advice (still hate him).
        I personally think that those Pearl Harbour boats had to meet specific demands for penetrating the torpedo-nets, later variants did not have the need for such things like the anti fowling cables, so they adopted a more simple design.
        I'll go with the anti fowling cables, the more stuff on the boat, the better it is, had the same experience with my type VII, it kinds of dresses your boat up, it made me decide to go for the extended wintergarten conningtower on the type VII, this way i could place a wopping 8 20 mm guns to scare off those allied pilots.
        Tomorrow i'll start up the SkunkWorks for some buildingtime, let's see if i can show some progress later this week.

Manfred.
        Not sure that's right. The boats that came into Sydney Harbour had to negotiate a boom net across the harbour entrance. One of them became caught in it. Those boats have a different and (possibly) more evolved forward structure. There's one in the museum in Canberra which is a composite of the two recovered examples.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
          Not sure that's right. The boats that came into Sydney Harbour had to negotiate a boom net across the harbour entrance. One of them became caught in it. Those boats have a different and (possibly) more evolved forward structure. There's one in the museum in Canberra which is a composite of the two recovered examples.
          The composit at the AWM is made from M21 and M14 ( RAN designations)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	M21 M14 composit AWM.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	98136Click image for larger version

Name:	M14 Ko-hyoteki_Sydney.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	98137M14 being raisedClick image for larger version

Name:	M21raised.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	98138M21 being raisedClick image for larger version

Name:	M21 con.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	98139M21con remains. M14's bow was blown off from the 500lb TNT scuttle charge after tangling in nets. 21 was attacked by a destroyer after floundering from net entanglement. The M24 sits on the bottom Click image for larger version

Name:	M24 on the bottom.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	98140Note all the prop cages, Also notice the composit has 14's number on a undamaged hull but in the raising picture. its mostly torn up. Leads me to believe they used 21's hull from forward of the tower to the props, for the war bond tour. The M24 snuck into the harbor when the nets were open for the Manley Ferry boat. Its target was the USS Chicago, a cruiser. Fired both torpedos at her, one missed and ran aground and the other went under the Chicago and hit the HMAS Kuttabul and sank it. Was fired on several times by the Chicago. 24 evaded until the crew shot themself and went to the bottom. Was a mistery for years untill discovered recently. Note the bow netcutter configuration on M21 being raisedClick image for larger version

Name:	M21up.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	98141same as the M24's drawing
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-31-2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

I spoke with the guy who searched for M24 from a number of years (he was going to Burma to look for the wreck of Kingsford Smith's plane at the time and needed some local support). He concluded that M24 had left the harbour and turned North toward the original RV with the mother sub. Most of the searching prior to that was done South of Sydney Heads. He was pretty sure that he'd find it somewhere off Gosford on the Central Coast but it seems that he was beaten to the punch by a group of local divers who found it sitting on a flat sandy bottom covered in fishing net remnants.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

I found this a while ago when I was building my Type A. Just re-discovered it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Type A plan.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	98142

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

Thats a nice drawing It shows quite a bit. I would like to get a full size copy of it. I have seen it before, but its always a low resolution. At least you can read the fine print. I am looking for a replica IJN submarine proficiency badge to mount on a display stand for a small type A. The real ones are expensive and I wouldnt want to pay that much just to stick it on a stand. I met Mr, Kazuo Sakamaki, when we (city of Key West) gave the Ha 19 to the Nimitz WWII museum, in 1990. At the time he was a corporate executive, for Toyota. He was the first Japanese POW and Captain of the Ha19. I got to speek with him about his boat, briefly.Click image for larger version

Name:	ha19captain.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	98162He had mentioned that there were parts missing from the prop guards, but at the time I didnt know that much about the boat, so I wasnt sure what parts he was talking about.
                Last edited by Von Hilde; 04-01-2015, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Update on my Ko Hyo Teki . Had to make a scale adjustment. Initially was to be 1/16th when I built the first tower. Didn't want a model that big, so decided 1/24 would be ok. That didn't happen. The hull was already a tad large for a true 1/24 so I put a skim coat of bondo on the center section to increase the OD and blew up the tower plans on the computer to keep the overall length under four feet. So, it came out to 1/19th scale. 47.5 inches from bow to stern.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	98203slightly smaller towerClick image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	98204still needs a few details, yet.Click image for larger version

Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	98205l worked on the rudder and planes and cone sectionClick image for larger version

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	98207the bolt holes where the actual boat is separated were drilled and filed then lined with some wire insulation, stripped off 16 gauge wire, then glued and clipped and trimmed.Click image for larger version

Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	98208Click image for larger version

Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	98209Click image for larger version

Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	98210Click image for larger version

Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	98211
                  Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Exceptional stuff, Dave. Most impressive.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

Transmission/gear box access hatch, with the actual hatch, plus boiler plate cover, underneath. The aft lifting eye, is the hold down screw. Soldered a tab with hole, made from flattened wire and drilled to the brass screw. Tapped a hole in a cross piece in the hull. Boiler plate, is a scrap piece of 1/24th scale plate from some old armor model, long gone. Rivet ring is beer can, hand tooled. Weld seams are copper wire strands for the lateral seam and steel electric guitar E first string. .010 gauge. CA tacked, then JB weld, and sandedClick image for larger version

Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	98212Click image for larger version

Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	98213Click image for larger version

Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	98214

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Little more progress on the hull and tower. Made a wire frame for the front section and covered it with aluminium. Made the hinge for the hatch. Don't really know why I made it operational, except that it was just there. I'm to the point of thinking functional torpedoes. Or at least the option of them later. Making the tubes and mounts while it's still accessible. This will take some research and ingenuity. The bow will be fun to bend. First have to figure out how the split will operate. Magnets or fasteners.Click image for larger version

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	98223Click image for larger version

Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	98224Click image for larger version

Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	98225

Comment

• Aug 2008

Excellent, excellent work, Dave. You have no fear!

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

Hello
                            Question for: He Who Shall Not be named. Still waiting for the plan/drawing you said you sent me.

Please let me know.

Thanks
                            George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
                              Hello
                              Question for: He Who Shall Not be named. Still waiting for the plan/drawing you said you sent me.

Please let me know.

Thanks
                              George
                              Thanks for the reminder, George.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                                Detail Nut of the First Order
                                • Sep 2010

It has been a while, but i'm back on the track, She Who Must Be Obeyed is pleased with her new garden, and i can focus me again on the build,

Name:	P3210085.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	98661

Name:	P3210086.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	98662

Added the reinforcement strip at the back, and used some half cutted tubes to imitate both the periscope housing and the entry tube under the conningtower hatch.

Name:	P3210087.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	98658

Made a beginning with the copper sheeting, instead of using glue i went mad with the soldering iron, giving me a real live weld.

Name:	P3210088.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	98659

The other side was pretty much the same, first the dryfitting before i could start with the soldering.

Name:	P3220089.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	98660

I went ahead with making those reinforcement ribs, and drilled all holes for fastening the rear plating, for now i have to make the rear plating, crawling ahead.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...