Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

Drooling allover.......wow that is one hell of a peice of craftmenship.......I wish I could see this in realtime....darn C19.
    Grtz,
    Bart
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bassplayer1
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2010

Great work Manfred !!!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Manfred, looks great and I enjoy seeing the methodical steps you take!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bwi 971
          Drooling allover.......wow that is one hell of a peice of craftmenship.......I wish I could see this in realtime....darn C19.
          Grtz,
          Bart
          Thanks Bart, now i have to wipe off the slime of my boat, wonder if now the paintjob will hold, C19 will end, time enough to build and meet each other.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bassplayer1
            Great work Manfred !!!
            Thanks Yannis, it was a long run but worth it, hope to get some sticktime soon.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Beautiful, Manfred. Beautiful!

David
              Thanks David, this is the result of both the help of you, Gene and Von, the help with documentation and pictures makes the difference, have to finalise the trimming before i can hit the open water.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by trout
                Manfred, looks great and I enjoy seeing the methodical steps you take!
                Thanks Tom,

Despite i want to run her as soon as possible in the open water i have to keep myself at my checklist, this worked in the past and now, documenting the journey has a advantage, so i can look back how i builded some parts in the past instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Finally the heatwave is over, it became that hot inside the cave that my 2K epoxy glue behaved as superglue by setting off like grazy, during the intial trimming i discovered some things which i had to adress first before resuming trimming,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_142423.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	142963
                  Drilling the ventholes at the keel created this problem for me, the trigger of the lower tubes gets hooked into the venthole during pulling off the frontpart.

Name:	20200823_144409.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	142961

Placed some bars inside the ventholes.

Name:	20200823_144417.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	142962

A bit crude, but this sub was crude build anyway, giving me two advantages, no big debry can enter and the trigger will slide over the bars without getting stuck into the vent hole.

Name:	20200823_142513.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	142960
                  Did today another job of placing the lead to counteract the weight of the tower, used flat lead and curved it conform the hull, the total weight of the tower is 100 gram, the ballast lead is 150 gram, so it should be enough to counteract the tower.
                  When trimming is finished i'll spray the lead with some primer to prefent desolving over the years, i drive in partly sweet/salt water which will affect the lead on the long term.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Yesterday the second attempt for trimming, added more foam and lead,

Name:	20200824_135047.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	143036

Added more foam around the tower, left the same amount at the bow.

Name:	20200824_134838.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	143034

Name:	20200824_134849.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	143035

No sinking like a brick anymore, pretty good, a bit leaning to the left, but that can be solved by shifting the foam near the tower.

Name:	20200824_135128.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	143037

This is the extra amount of lead and foam, the weight of the extra lead is about 200 grams, which i have to place inside, first i want to do that and then play again with the foam.

Name:	20200824_135554.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	143038

SD preformed perfectly, no leaks, so back to the cave to glue some lead inside, the total amount will be around 350 gram, i guess two or three times more trimming before the maiden voyage.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Thanks David,

Yeah it took some more time and effort to get to this point, the conical shape of this sub doesn't help either, splitting her by multiple radial cuts helps, it's pretty easy to get inside for the lead, i will get her running in the wild step by step.
                      As for difficult boat, still have the type 17 in the yard, that boat is a tough SOB, the rear a real nightmare.

Take you time with the 212, the MSD is your bread and butter which has to be done first, a man has to eat, as for details i have one rule, if it's possible i'll make it, why?, because it can be done.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
                        as for details i have one rule, if it's possible i'll make it, why?, because it can be done.

Manfred.
                        Which is why when I add some extra detailing to one of my subs, I tell myself that it is time to Manfredize it. Sure enjoy your work!
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,

Detailling your boat makes it stand out in the crowd, and this japanese puppy will be finished.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

For now the plate is full with the preparations at the house, building will start after a month or so, i can show you guys what i did last summer and some minor work this winter,

Name:	20201018_151153.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	147464

Trimming with the new amount of lead inside, she lays straight at last

Name:	20201018_151210.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	147465

All the foam strapped with elastic bands, yes, sometimes i listen to you David.

Name:	20201018_153049.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	147466

Aimed to get her slight positive, less than a inch above the surface, good enough for me.

Name:	20210210_194420.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	147469

Name:	20210210_194426.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	147470

Marked down the foam at the hull, the letters where noted down on the foam also to get them at the right place.

Name:	20210210_194442.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	147467

Name:	20210210_194514.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	147468
                            Stuffed down the foam inside the hull-parts, had to tinker it a bit because the two-shooter gave some problems with fitting the front part, cutted away some foam and replaced a few pieces under the big pieces, front-part fits like a glove.

For now she is ready for her maiden voyage this spring, when succesfull i will slap some paint on her and will play around with the torps, crawl, walk and run.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

Working...