Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Excellent David, last week i got my grubby hands on that book with the nice pics, it had to come from Hawaii, finishing the detail works at the rearpart.<br />
    <br />
    Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

OK Guys, not much done on the sub lately, She Who Must Be Obeyed had some jobs on the list which had to be fixed, for now the rearpart is ready and i did something radical to the tower to solve a issue, pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250004_zpscaspssez.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	113407

Like the frontpart i can take off the rearpart by unscrewing it from the styrodure plug.

Name:	P2250005_zpswhcstptb.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	113408

Placed on the workingbench, much more easier handling for placing the rivets.

Name:	P3010454_zps5v3vjsak.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	113409

48 rivets later and some scribing, you get this, i must say it was a bit of a learningcurve, at first i used the mold for drilling holes, had to cut the rivets to size before placing, it worked, but there was a catch, since you have to place the rivets on both sides i ran into trouble to get them even on their places.
      The solution was simple but tedious, had to cut off the head of the rivet and just glued the toppart on, more work, but it solved the issue i encountered first.

Name:	P3020457_zpsfgzanoca.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	113410

My radical move on the tower asked for some demolitionwork, took the dremel cuttingdisk, and cutted away the rearpart of my tower, i never managed to get the shape right like i wanted, so i decided to go from scratch, it will take a piece of pine-wood to get me a better shape, the works will be continued on fixing this baby.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Manfred, what is the overall liength of your hull plug from the torpedo breach to the aft bulkhead ?

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Von, about 129 cm, just like my drawing<br />
          <br />
          Manfred
          I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Thanks, that's what I figured.. I didn't blow my drawings up to scale and was working proportionally, on the 1/19th scale model. Have to give Dave a shout out here. I got the package with the props today,, sir. there wonderful!. Both sets to boot. Resin and metal. Perhaps I will make another B type Sydney style.

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Last week the goodies from David arrived, i must say, some fine work on the props, he's still trying to pull me over to the imperial size, the props where locked with imperial sized grubscrews, thanks David!!!, has to buy a imperial size Allen Wrench, it was that or i couldn't remove the props.
              As you guys know, we in Europe are metric lunatics, so i had to rebuild them to metric for fitting on my drive-train, made 5 mm shims and the problem was solved, i tried this first on the white metal set, simply to learn how it would go, then switched to the resin set and did the same trick.
              At the end i will use the resin set because of the CG issue, David mentioned before that weight will be a issue on such a tapered hull, you don't have that much room inside to counteract with the foam parts, for now i've made a vid to show the progress and some fun with the props, enjoy

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

I did mentioned the tower in the vid, i'll show what i've done sofar,

Name:	P3070458_zps51z1025v.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	113959

That shape at the rear of the tower was a bit of a pain in the ass, took some pine-wood and made this piece, kept it a tad smaller as the towercladding, you have to account for the filler.

Name:	P3080460_zpsnnnllkqg.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	113960

Taped the surrounding and got me my first layer of filler.

Name:	P3090462_zps4fmhzi7w.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	113961

Had to repeat this several times, so each time getting to the endresult, usually it will take three of four passes before you've got it right.

Name:	P3100464_zps0xvgwekq.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	113962

Almost there, one last pass with filler and this little piece is ready, these kind of things consume loads of time, but if done properly you get a good result.

Name:	P3120466_zps7mpdxm51.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	113963

Started with adding the panels for the navigationlights, used my aluminumtape to imitade the panels.

Name:	P3120465_zps8bbssins.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	113964

Same story at the other side, now it's time to start with the rivets and weldinglines, it will take a week of so to get this right, goal is still this spring molding the tower.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Looks great Manfred. I have to get moving on my 1/16 boat soon.

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Thanks Von, this is the slow part, but it has to be done, once i've taken this hurdle i can speed things up by giving the plug a epoxy skin.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2015

Manfred, Von, David,

I thought I spent my some of my almost unlimited free time I have for the moment to dig in deep into the WWW for any information about your project........and guess what.......I .hit the jackpot all below pictures of the n°19.

grtz,
                      Bart

Name:	Class A report 02425.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	114451

Name:	Class A report 04546.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	114452

Name:	Class A report 04748.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	114453

Name:	Class A report 04849.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	114454

Name:	Class A report 05253.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	114455

Name:	Class A report 05354.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	114456
                      Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Nice Bart, i allready have the book about the Ko Hyoteki, but more pics are allways welcome, for now i'm working on both bikes for maintenance, they will be ready at the end of the week for testing, after that i'm going to start up the cave for some work on the hull.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

It has been some time, first had to finish up my second type VII, rebuilded the torpedo system and took my own type VII out of commision, took all hardware out of this boat, it will be re-used for the doomed Type XVIIb.
                          My own type VII is allready sold to another subbuilder, with plans to rebuild her in working order.
                          Let's pick up the thread where i stopped,

Name:	P5140482_zpsv2ltpjlc.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	118069

Name:	P5140483_zpsccq98wpa.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	118070

The conningtower itself is finished and ready to be molded, the plans are to do this next spring together with the hull.

Name:	P5140486_zpst3r2nwvj.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	118071

This is my second version of the hatch, the first one had a wheel on top, Von made a remark about the wheel, there wasn't suppose to be a wheel, so it was removed, later on i ordered a book about the Ko-Hyoteki, i've got me a slap in the face and had to alter more things.

Name:	PA130625_zpseow3q1k0.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	118072

The third version was born, now with the correst hinge accourding to the pictures inside the book.

Name:	PA130624_zpslmpa8xka.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	118073

Also had to modify the inside, i decided to start from scratch, i'm pleased with the result, added also the hook which kept it open when on the surface.

Name:	P4230474_zpsarj9mtoi.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	118074

Not sure if i showed this pic before with the propellors David made for me, a dryfitt to see if the size was allright.

Name:	PA130620_zpsbehbavvo.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	118075

Since the tempartures where dropping overhere i decided to build me some other hardware, those tubes are from windowscreens.

Name:	PA130621_zpsolpbzaip.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	118076

Dryfitting the netcutter and the future torps.

Name:	PA150626_zpsiijsl6su.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	118077

Builded a frame to keep both tubes together, still had to make the rear bulkhead which will hold the entire contraption, to be continued.

Manfred.
                          Last edited by MFR1964; 12-11-2016, 04:02 PM.
                          I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Beautiful work as usual Manfred. Glad to hear your still kicking around in the Garage, up to no good.
                            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Thanks Mark, yup, once you've got the itch it's hard not to scratch, right now i'm making some silicone molds, i'll post that adventure later on
                              I went underground

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Manfred,
                                Maybe it is time to change the term Manfredize to the Manfred Itch, no, that sounds more like a communicable disease. Anyways, wow, I can just sit back and learn from you. Thank you for posting. I know it takes a lot of time to post, I so appreciate those that do!
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...