X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I like the smell of Dope. Good advice and I will heed your council. lol
    A lot happened and I am not sure what I did was correct or the best way. If someone who has done this can share how they did this step, i would appreciate the knowledge.
    I needed to know how much distance I have from the top of the cylinder to the upper hull. What I did was bend a wire that would go through the stand hole and line up with the cylinders that the top of the wire was flush with the top of the sub-driver. Also, where the wire exited out the bottom of the hull, I wrapped with painters tape (masking tape would work). Marked the point it exits with a pen. The top of the wire has a sharp point and when I pushed the wire up the tip would dig into the plastic and scratch. I also marked under the hull on the tape around the wire the point it now exits the hull. So when I pulled the hull apart. I measured the distance on the tape between lowered position and touching the top of the hull it was 3/8". The mark left on the plastic by the point was my reference point. With this I was able to see how far apart the top hull Klik-on was from my reference point I needed and an estimate of the offset.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	83525
    A lot of measuring. The Klik-on needs to be raised 1/4", which is just about what my z bending pliers make it. As proud as I was about how it came out, there was a problem. That arch or brace I put in is in the way. I can dive, but surfacing will not happen because the rearward travel is blocked by that brace. Marked the area that will be cut away.

Name:	Skipjack_build_227.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	83526Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_228.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	83527
    Slid the top hull on and peeking through the cracks checked the way it lined up. Tacked the pushrod with a little CA. Then quickly closed the hull up. I moved the sail planes until I felt the magnets meet. Set it aside to let the CA dry a bit. Opened it up and put more CA around the pushrod I made to the one coming out of the WTC. Closed the lid again and felt it connect again.

Name:	Skipjack_build_229.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	83528
    Another view.

Name:	Skipjack_build_230.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	83529
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Put a piece of wax paper atop the SD, place a soft piece of clay on the wax paper, put a piece of wax paper atop the clay, and mash down the upper hull. Remove upper hull.

Wa-La! Annular distance established.

You a stick and paper type model plane builder, Tom?

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

I did not even think of clay, brilliant. Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        You a stick and paper type model plane builder, Tom?

M
        Yes, I was. When I was about 10 or 11 started to build gliders and rubber band powered planes.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Of course it's brilliant!

I was into free-flight big time, and competitive -- did four Nat's before joining the Navy. 1/2A gas, A-2 glider, hand-launch glider, jet-X, Unlimited rubber, Wakefield rubber, and scale. Every year Cathy Montz (spelling) kicked my ass in Unlimited rubber.

I too love the smell of dope and Ambroid glue. It runs in my veins.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Ambroid glue.....loved that amber color.
            I did gas airplanes, but they were the you-fly type, you fly around and around until you crashed or got crazy dizzy. Those tethered airplanes did not keep my interest long.

Back to business...... David, the air hoses, how do you run those? With the velcro strap going over the cylinder, I do not want them on top to be crushed. I could created some aluminum ducting, but the though of prying the hose off every time I open the cylinder seems problematic. Thoughts?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Duh!

Leave the hoses ouside the Velcro.

You people!

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Yeah, what's the matter with you people? Sheesh. I was looking at your picture and I saw you had taped the tubing down,

Name:	David_Merriman_002.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	83542

it looked real tight. So I was not sure. Thank you. It is a duh moment when you think about it.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Began to install the air hoses.

Name:	Skipjack_build_231.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	83544
                  Then as I was attaching the hose to the aft end cap, it broke off.

Name:	Skipjack_build_232.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	83545

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, fumble-thumbs:

You'll find that you can't use the motor-bulkhead SAS manifold -- it sticks up too high and will hit the upper hull when you attempt to push it down in place. Don't use the manifold, rather run the flexible hoses straight to the induction and discharge nipples.

I'm enjoying this WIP, Tom. Good stuff.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

David that is encouraging that you like the WIP. It means a lot coming from you. A heads up earlier to not install it would have been better :-), but the information is out there for someone else not to mount the SAS manifold. I make mistakes and I post them (well mostly, I didn't post about the wind knocking my sail off the table and crud stuck to the sail or that periscope box was slightly too big because I assembled it with the fore and aft walls on the outside instead of the inside plus that latch - correctable, but would be a time consuming thing that I will fix later) Which is why I recommend waiting until she gets her maiden voyage before following what I did.
                      Taking the manifold off was not a big deal, it took a careful prying it away. I love RTV silicon, especially this blue stuff. I took some Acetone and carefully cleaned the surfaces and then picked, pull, scr@ped the rubber off.

Name:	Skipjack_build_233.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	83560
                      Cleaned the sail pushrod off and realigned it (applied some CA, slid it on, then sealed the hull and moved the sail plane until it engaged. Let the CA solidify. Ran one hose (the other one will go on later after the pushrod connection dries completely).

Name:	Skipjack_build_234.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	83561
                      Just cannot think my fat fingers pulling the hoses off these nipples will not eventually knock something else off. I might need to build a couple of connectors to make the process easier, but again the motto get it running first than add do-dads comes to mind.
                      I know this is a short posting. Life happens. That being said, I try to get one thing done on the sub each day.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yeah, I provide the motor-bulkhead manifold for those using this in the other 1/72 scale boats that are not as tight in the ass-end as the SKIPJACK. Sorry about that, Tom.

Can't wait to see this guy in the water.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

David, I am also getting excited about seeing her run. This is a great setup and if someone is reading this thinking can I build a sub, I will say a resounding yes! First sub or one of many this is a joy to build. We are getting close.
                          Finishing the hose connections.
                          The sail connection gets a strain relief. In this case it is a larger diameter plastic tube.

Name:	Skipjack_build_235.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	83563
                          The air hose will be cleaned up at a later time. I have a connector I made, that I will need to test with a SAS system.

Name:	Skipjack_build_236.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	83564

Next step is get some weight installed.
                          Last edited by trout; 10-03-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

The weights needed to be made.
                            Rolled out some potters clay. It was rehydrated, but a little too much. It was left for a day to ry out

Name:	Skipjack_build_237.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	83624Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_238.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	83625
                            Once it was in a useable condition, I measured and trimmed the clay to fit. As a whim, I carved a message and info into the clay.

Name:	Skipjack_build_239.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	83628Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_240.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	83629
                            Once dry, I put modeling clay in the base of a disposable plastic storage tub. Then stuck the clay pieces into the the modeling clay. I used plaster to fill the tub. I did not take pictures, but the process was once the plaster solidified, I dug out the modeling clay and soaked the plaster block in water. The potters clay will rehydrate and get soft again. Using a long toothpick or a bamboo skewer cleaned out the remaining clay.

Name:	Skipjack_build_241.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	83630
                            I really rushed this last part. I put the plaster block in the oven on low for 4 hours (usually let it dry for a day or more). Melted some lead and poared in. Unfortunately the moisture cause steam and bubbling. There were no legible letters, but I had weights.

Name:	Skipjack_build_242.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	83631
                            Tested the sub-driver in the tub. Everything stayed nice and dry. The only place that air bubbles showed up was from the side screw in the ballast tank. I will put a little RTV silicon in there.

Name:	Skipjack_build_243.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	83632Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_244.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	83633
                            This is SOOOO cool! Played with the SAS. I am going to like this system and can not wait to get the sub trimmed out.
                            Last edited by trout; 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Tonight, I had to see what the Skipjack model looked like in the tub. Wow, the weight I made kept her in a upright position which is nice. There is nothing like the shock of putting a sub in the water and watch her unceremoniously flop on her side. I flooded the ballast tank and she settled aft heavy and bow would not go under. I grabbed some weight and placed it on the bow and the sub settled down to a level attitude. It may not stay that way once I get the sub in the kiddie pool because the tub may have been stopping the aft from sinking further.
                              Then I emptied the ballast tank and it was cool to hear the suction noise when the float dropped allowing the air to come in. I did not completely empty the tank because I had plenty of reserve. On the surface the aft was light. I am using a single battery, but if it is heavy submerged and light surfaced, so I see it will take a bit of playing to get it right.
                              Tried a little forward thrust while holding it......oh my goodness the power this puts out! Glad that it was dialed back to 50%, I might have lost my grip if it was 100% (pretty surprising the amount of power it generated).
                              I also played a little more with the SAS system, thank you Manfred! You were instrumental in the design of this and it worked wonderfully.
                              sorry about no pictures. It was just supposed to be a quick test and I got carried away playing. Possibly tomorrow!

Comment

• MFR1964
                                Detail Nut of the First Order
                                • Sep 2010

Excellent Tom!, good to hear you like the SAS, it's the brainchild of a united effort on this forum, i only delivered my part to the system.
                                Can you make a vid from your SAS adventure?, wanna hear her woooosh.
                                As for connecting your SAS float, if i remembered right, you had designed a magnetic airconnector, i suppose you want to use this for easy handeling the SAS, great design!

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...