X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Nice and Neat, and functional to boot.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Thank you guys.

Manfred,
      A google search and you can find them, but this one is a small version (the other one I have is the standard size and would not be practical)
      Here is what the standard size looks like:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ETPLR730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	83442
      I am looking to find the exact one, but since it was purchased a quarter century ago, things change. The one I use is made by Vigor (made in Germany) part number is PL-45J
      Here is one close to it: http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com/p/ETPLR731.html
      This one, might be the winner, looks pretty close to mine:

Name:	ETPLR731.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	83443

Mark, compared to the Gato (cue slasher movie violin music)

Name:	Gato_web.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	83444
      I am liking the look of the Scamps engine room.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

At first the gap between the dive planes or the rudder and the sub-driver servo pushrods seemed too wide, but in reality not too bad.

Name:	Skipjack_build_201.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	83459
        CA was used to affix the magnets. I do not know how others install their klik-ons, I placed the first set on (rudder), but I reverse the polarity on the second set of magnets (aft dive planes) so, when attaching the pushrods they will connect only with the proper wtc pushrod. I missed the part about needing to get a 3/16 Dumas connector, but had an old one around.

Name:	Skipjack_build_202.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	83460
        Here is an area I need to work on. The gap for the SAS inlet and outlets are wider than the piece supplied. I can widen the holes to match. Will work on that then attach using RTV silicon.

Name:	Skipjack_build_203.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	83461Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_204.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	83462
        Tell me what color do you use for the prop? - I will give it a toning down, but I found gold or bronze, no brass. Gold looked too yellow, and bronze too reddish brown. Suggestions?

Name:	Skipjack_build_205.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	83463
        Next hurdle pushrod for the sail plane.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Bronze, then speckle it with a tooth-brush loaded with gray paint.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thank you, sir.

Held off doing the drive shaft because there are always variances and I wanted to wait until the sub-driver was in place, good thing too.
            For my build the aluminum tube needed to be cut 8 7/16" almost 1/4 an inch longer than recommended. There was room in the ends to extend the length, but I like having more of the ends in the tube.
            First score the 7/32" aluminum tube with a blade like an X-acto. Then snap the tube were it was scored.

Name:	Skipjack_build_206.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	83467Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_207.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	83468
            Then I drilled a 1/16" hole for the wire to go through.

Name:	Skipjack_build_208.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	83469
            Placed a piece of brass wire in the hole drilled out and tap it down on an anvil or steel block. Be careful to make sure the wire at one end is on the anvil and the other end you are hitting with a hammer.

Name:	Skipjack_build_209.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	83470Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_210.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	83471
            Kept turning it over and worked both sides of the wire. It begins to mushroom out. If necessary you can file some off to make it closer to the tube.

Name:	Skipjack_build_211.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	83472
            Place the one end in the propeller's Dumas coupler and adjust the other end to fit. Mark the location with a Sharpe pen. Repeat process for other end.

Name:	Skipjack_build_212.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	83473

Comment

• roedj
              Captain
              • Sep 2008

I would like to make just a quick comment at this point. Not only is this simply an outstanding build thread, I am also very grateful that you took the time to rename the pictures so that when stored on my computer they are automatically stored in chronological order. That, Sir, gets you an A+ in my book.

Many thanks,

Dan
              Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Dan,
                Thank you, that blesses me. Especially that you enjoy it enough to fill your hard drive up.
                Peace,
                tom

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Put the upper hull behind the lower and aligned them up. The rib in the upper hull will be my reference for the aft end of the sail pushrod.

Name:	Skipjack_build_213.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	83477
                  Collected and assembled the parts for the bow end of the Klik-on. A 1/16" wire or rod is the shank for the Klik-on and it will go into a 3/16" aluminum tube that has a 1/16" inside diameter.

Name:	Skipjack_build_214.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	83478Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_215.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	83479
                  Placed the bow Klik-on into the aluminum rod (CA'd it in) and tested the fit with aluminum tube attached. I will need to widen the hole a bit to accommodate and put a slight channel under the tube tapering down to the opening that the magnet goes into.

Name:	Skipjack_build_216.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	83480
                  This allowed marking a rough end to the other side of the tube. It also gave me the path I needed to clean up.

Name:	Skipjack_build_217.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	83481Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_218.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	83482
                  An issue I had with aluminum push rods is the flex it has. I wanted the thrust to transfer to the sail plane and not be lost in bowing the tube. I also wanted the pushrod to be removable.

Name:	Skipjack_build_219.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	83483
                  Taking a tube larger than the aluminum tube, I ground a channel into the plastic tube. Then using the X-acto blade cut out the thinned out area and filed it so it was wide enough to accept the aluminum tube.

Name:	Skipjack_build_220.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	83484Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_221.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	83485
                  The tube would snap in, but not slip out. The styrene tube is affixed to the top hull with Bondene like a U with the opening facing opposite of where it is attached.

Name:	Skipjack_build_222.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	83486Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_223.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	83487
                  Then I made a piece that is going to be mounted sideways, like a C. It is placed on a piece of styrene to raise it a little from the hull. Moving the pushrod to the furthest point backward (aft) I put the Klik-on and its mate and cut the tube to make sure there is enough room. Then pushed the pushrod to the most forward point and glued the C mount just ahead of this position.

Name:	Skipjack_build_224.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	83488Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_225.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	83489
                  Now to figure out how to get the connection from the pushrod to the sub-driver. I will work on that later (once I figure out how). Need to get some rest.
                  Last edited by trout; 09-30-2013, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2013

I saw you are using a micro gyros esc? I had not heard of that make before what is it like compared to the Mtroniks?

I will be using a Mtroniks 20amp Viper(came out of my Salvage tug....ordered 2 15ampVipers.....got 1 15A and 1 20A!(in a 15A packet!)...The tug now has a pair of 15A vipers and the 20 was waiting for a project!)(see pic of tug towing an Arleigh Burke in Targets thread..)

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Bruce,
                      MicroGyros is an English company. I know several people that use them overseas. Over Christmas he had a special and I thought why not try it. I already use Mtroniks - that is what is in the Gato. I can not say more than that until I get this going in the pond, so we shall see.
                      Great pics by the way!

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Microgyros is not an English company, it's a Scottish company. For brushed motors, I've not found better.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I am sorry for the error. I stand corrected.
                          What have you found that is better?

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I said I've not found better, ergo, they're the best brushed controllers I know of for marine use. I use them in one or two cars too, although most of them are now brushless, and Mike doesn't make brushless controllers, so I have to look elsewhere for those. I get my brushless controllers from Hobbyking, and have found them to be very good.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I must be going crazy, I reread your post and I misunderstood. Two corrections in one day.......Thank you for keeping me honest.

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Stop sniffing the glue!

Comment

Working...