Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
    RC Tanks is one area of RC I have not done........yet.
    air-soft equipped r/c tank + cat = much good fun!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Peter W
      Captain
      • May 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      air-soft equipped r/c tank + cat = much good fun!
      Dave............you cruel , cruel man....................that is exactly what I do with mine. I have the 1/16th Heng Long Tiger and M26 Pershing, the tiger runs well but the Pershing's gun is a beast those bearings go miles ! I toyed very recently with scratchbuilding a 1/6th scale Comet but came to my senses and continued with the Akula.

Peter

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Peter W
        Dave............you cruel , cruel man....................that is exactly what I do with mine. I have the 1/16th Heng Long Tiger and M26 Pershing, the tiger runs well but the Pershing's gun is a beast those bearings go miles ! I toyed very recently with scratchbuilding a 1/6th scale Comet but came to my senses and continued with the Akula.

Peter
        Me and my Vietnam neighbor have been told by the Pound that there is a limit of six cats per week. So, I gotta cut back on my r/c tank driving.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Peter
          Me and my Vietnam neighbor have been told by the Pound that there is a limit of six cats per week. So, I gotta cut back on my r/c tank driving.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Dave, your living in the wrong County. In Pasco county, we have cats growing on trees and coming out of the woodwork. Maybe I could send you three or four or Five or.........................

Ah.........dont Vietnamese.......eat Cats?
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Duh!...........
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

The grounding didn't work in my initial trials, but that is o.k., I am tired of waiting to get this in the water. Tomorrow (today) I will do a final (mostly final) trimming on the sub. I have put in the majority of the pieces in and only have a decision about the periscope. The foundational painting is done and I do not think the final painting will add that much weight. Will it?

Anyways, I might post some pictures to record the trimming, but it would be nice to run the sub on Veteran's Day.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• alad61
                  Commander
                  • Jan 2012

Tom,

Something I have toyed with that the static boys use ( you probably know this already but here goes again) is Johnssons Floor wax I think in the States it is called Future, over here it was called Klear but they don't sell it here anymore.

Spray it on neat very THINLY and it acts as an excellent sealer and protector against enamels. also good to seal in waterslide decals. It is it's own solvent as well so if you do spary too much you can use it to remove itself. Safe on plastic too. Used it on my Trumpeter Seawolf worked a treat.

Hope this helps and doesn't bore you or repeat what you already know.

Peter
                  It's something I have been using for a while now only down here it's called pledge. One of the best kits I have done with it was my 1/24th Mk1 Spitfire
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	finished..... 016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	84276Click image for larger version

Name:	finished..... 013.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	84277Click image for larger version

Name:	finished..... 015.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	84278

And on my subs too. It helped with the rub down decals on the Akula and also for the hull decals on the Skipjack.
                  Cheers,
                  Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                  But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Alec, Beautiful! It is good to hear from two sources that it will work. Thank you.

I did a very clumsy thing. Grabbing my top hull to work on it and apparently forgetting that I connected hose to the sail, yanked everything off the counter. My cat like reflexes (cough, cough) stopped a majority of the impact.
                    Damage was limited to the very corner of the rear plane, bent prop (again), and this....

Name:	Skipjack_build_285.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	84291
                    None of the damage was panic worthy. Frustrating, only in myself. The broken tip is small, so I might not bother with it, the prop was easy enough to reshape, and the manifold was reattached with CA. Once the initial affixing was done, an extra bead of CA placed around the edge to seal it was applied.

Name:	Skipjack_build_286.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	84292
                    A little change in priorities and did some sanding and painting.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

(in the voice of Lex Luthor) Those cat-like reflexes!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

(in the voice of Lex Luthor) Those cat-like reflexes!

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Final tub trim time. Say that fast three times.... Placed blue painters tape on the exterior of the hull to mark where the foam is on the inside. The thinking here is to avoid stacking foam on top of each other and respecting the limited space between the SD and hull. I had pre-shaped some blocks of closed cell foam to counter the additional weight from modifications.
                          Placed the sub in the tub and proceeded with a dive.

Name:	Skipjack_build_287.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	84355
                          Then with ballast tanks blown.

Name:	Skipjack_build_288.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	84356
                          Next stop grandma's pool!

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Lookin real good Sir!

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Thanks Mark!
                              There was one thing that happened last night that I need to check into, air escaping from the SD vent. My son caught it and we watched the sub slowly, very slowly begin to settle into the water.

Will try to document it tonight.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Thats usually easy to fix. You know how...right?

Comment

Working...