Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I just noticed today that the battery room end cap has a plug in the center that is not secured (pushed out to show it). I assume it is for those that want to add torpedoes or have some way to exit sub-driver, cool. Not so cool if I did not catch it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_178.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	83227
    Earlier I saw that portions of one o-ring did not have contact to the Lexan tube. Today I wanted to take care of that. Removed the o-rings by pinching both sides of the end cap and sliding my fingers to the top. At first, nothing seems to be happening, but eventually you get a small hump at the top.

Name:	Skipjack_build_179.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	83228
    With the o-rings out, the outer most o-ring had contact all the way around albeit thin. So, on this channel I wrapped Teflon tape 1 1/2 times around thinking that would be enough.

Name:	Skipjack_build_180.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	83229
    Then the innermost o-ring I wrapped 3 1/5 times. Using a sharp X-Acto #11 blade, trimmed the extra tape off.

Name:	Skipjack_build_181.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	83230Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_182.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	83231
    The innermost o-ring's contact is now great. The outermost o-ring probably can stand a extra wrap or two.

Name:	Skipjack_build_183.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	83232
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Great tip on using teflon tape. Thanks.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• alad61
        Commander
        • Jan 2012

Tom my end caps on the Skipjack sub driver are almost the exact opposite. To the point they are a PITA to get off, especially after a run where I have had to blow the ballast once or twice to often when fully submerged. Sadly the often murky and weedy water around here can play havoc to a good run...

Btw I am glad the tape worked for you. As I knew it would.:biggrin:
        Cheers,
        Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
        But to dream is a reality

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
          Tom my end caps on the Skipjack sub driver are almost the exact opposite. To the point they are a PITA to get off, especially after a run where I have had to blow the ballast once or twice to often when fully submerged. Sadly the often murky and weedy water around here can play havoc to a good run...

Btw I am glad the tape worked for you. As I knew it would.:biggrin:

If you do vacuum lock (you pulled such a high vacuum within the SD that the snorkel head-valve locks shut because of the high differental pressure between rubber seat and nipple) the SD you can gently bump the hull down on the work stand -- which should induce the snorkel float assembly to pop off the valve nipple, opening the air-way, letting equalizing air into the cylinder, breaking the vacuum. Or, you can simply depress the forward bulkheads equalization valve (that's why it's there, duh!) to equalize pressure between the inside and outside of the cylinder, making forward bulkhead removal an easy matter.

This is why, once you start a completely submerged blow with the SAS, you want to continue it till the sail broachings and the snorkel head-valve opens -- doing it this way prevents the excessive differentail pressure across the head-valve rubber seat and intake nipple that locks the head-valve shut, even with the snorkel float well above the water.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thanks Romel! I have used Teflon tape on three subs so far, Gato, Aluminaut, and 32nd Parallels Type XXIII. Now on the Scamp. It comes in handy. I have had the suggestions of using marine epoxy and put a light coat all around or using thick CA. Someday I will try those suggestions.

David and Alec,
            Great information.
            How do you know that you have a vacuum lock? Trying to understand, once I surface, and I think the valve opened, but it doesn't, and dive again, what happens? Are there any signs or indications that there is a problem (other than the sub not coming up)?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
              Thanks Romel! I have used Teflon tape on three subs so far, Gato, Aluminaut, and 32nd Parallels Type XXIII. Now on the Scamp. It comes in handy. I have had the suggestions of using marine epoxy and put a light coat all around or using thick CA. Someday I will try those suggestions.

David and Alec,
              Great information.
              How do you know that you have a vacuum lock? Trying to understand, once I surface, and I think the valve opened, but it doesn't, and dive again, what happens? Are there any signs or indications that there is a problem (other than the sub not coming up)?
              Incomplete blow -- the model has not achieved surfaced waterline.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thank you David, I understand now.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

The tangle of wires begins. I am learning and playing as I go. Trying to make the wtc look clean, neat, and organized is a challenge for me. On this Sub-Driver I am going to play with different ideas. 10 years from now, i will probably look back and think what the heck was I thinking. One of the areas I am going to play with is routing the wires. This is not necessary for wiring up the Sub-Driver. it is just a detour for me.

Name:	Skipjack_build_184.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	83277
                  We just bought some tubing for Sam's aquarium and I thought, scary I know, maybe I could clip a little off and use it.

Name:	Skipjack_build_185.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	83278
                  The wires fit in the vinyl tubing and made a great protection for the wires going through the metal. It worked for the SAS air lines as well.

Name:	Skipjack_build_186.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	83279Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_187.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	83280
                  A little bit cleaner.

Name:	Skipjack_build_188.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	83281
                  These servos have a 28mm base which fit perfectly in the servo tray.

Name:	Skipjack_build_189.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	83282

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I need to order my toggle switch, I see this one on the sub-driver site http://www.sub-driver.com/waterproof-switch.html is this the one with the 1/4" thread (like for the Type VII or 2" sub-driver) or is this the 1/2" (for the Skipjack or 3.5" sub-driver)?
                    I need to get both, so any help in sourcing if not stocked at sub-driver. Thank you!

Comment

• Aug 2008

The bigger one can be found at Wal-mart, Lowe's, or any electronics outlet.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Ive also seen them at West Marine. A little pricey though.
                        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Thank you both for the tips. There is an Ace hardware store near by. They had the switch and a boot for it!

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Scout's are now selling popcorn (anybody want some?), so my days are filled. I was able to get a bit more done.
                            Bundling and soldering.

Name:	Skipjack_build_190.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	83343
                            Cut out a notch for the Dean's style plug to fit into.

Name:	Skipjack_build_191.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	83344
                            Anyone have a Shadow Programmer they want to sell? I cannot find mine.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I put a LiPo 11.1v and fired it up. Oh my goodness - the power, it surprised me. Note limit speed to 50% on the radio.

Name:	Skipjack_build_192.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	83430
                              The Bow Closing Plier was used on the Gato (http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...72-Gato/page18) and makes it really easy to bend the wires. This plier is used in jewelry for bending the shank of a ring.

Name:	Skipjack_build_193.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	83431
                              Making careful bends to make the pushrods line up.

Name:	Skipjack_build_194.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	83432Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_195.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	83433
                              Here they are connected. That dog gone safety float valve keeps flopping around, it is beginning to annoy me.

Name:	Skipjack_build_196.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	83434
                              Taking some more of the air hose (hopefully there will be some left for Sam's fish) sliced it down one side.

Name:	Skipjack_build_197.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	83435
                              This now became the wire harness to manage the servo cables. The bundle stuffed by the receiver will be eliminated later.

Name:	Skipjack_build_198.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	83436Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_199.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	83437
                              It also will become the safety belt for the safety float valve. If this silicon will hold, might need to pin it.

Name:	Skipjack_build_200.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	83438

Comment

• MFR1964
                                Detail Nut of the First Order
                                • Sep 2010

Neat Tom, i too like my stuff to be as compact as possible on the rearpart, where did you order those bendingpliers?, i can use that plier also for future projects.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...