Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Yep, some oldfashion handwork, some tools, some copper, crappy documentation and a sharp eye.
    Don't forget the pleasure of rebuilding parts when you messed up, yep, i love this hobby.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

Some more results on making the details,

Added that strange thing on top, i suspect it's a kind of winch, becauce there is a rotating lever at the back present.

The other side of the loadingdevice, just noticed a error, that bar has to be level with that hook-up thing, have to modify that.

Again placed on the nose, now i have to sign off the points where is was fastened to the bow, two holes are allready made on the XXIII by Bronco, have to determen where the other two will be placed,
      When marked i can build those small brackets and start thinking how to build the tables for the torpedos, this project is not yet over.

Manfred.
      Last edited by MFR1964; 02-22-2015, 02:09 PM.
      I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

God help me ... I caught myself actually counting the rivets on the face of your model, Manfred. Sorry.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

No problem David, i've got myself a tolerance of 10%, :), hopes that make you feel better.

To be honest, i hope Spring starts early, have two boats drying out, Winter sucks!!!!!

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Finally i can secure this contraption to the bow of my type XXIII, one hurdle taken, still one to go.

Made this kind of lockingpin for both upper brackets.

By inserting the pins into the predrilled holes i can secure the top-part, the bigger pin is slided through all the way, makes lives easier instead of another two pins.

Right now i'm playing around with this sheet of copper, this will be the start of making the platforms which can hold the torpedos.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Took a pair of siccors and cutted all pieces.

The one on the left has allready the bars soldered, the right one still has to be done, took this picture to show how the bars will fitt in, cutted some slits with the dremel, this way the bar fitts over the ribs.

Dryfitting on the loading stage, pure to see if the size fits.

Dryfitting one of the Bronco torpedo's, done this to see if the height was right, because i have to add some wooden slidingblocks at a later stage.

Another dryfitt with both tables done, now i'm ready for adding one more rib, this one is different compared to the others, so it has to be placed afterwards, when placed i can start with adding the wooden slidingblocks.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Made the other different rib and added some reinforcement to the top of the ribs, soldering this would be madness, so i used CA.

One step closer to completion, it does look the same as the one on the picture, phew!!!!

By using styrene i could imitate the wooden sliding blocks, after painting you won't see the difference.

Dryfitting a torpedo proved to me that the height was level to the torpedotubes, on the left underneath the torpedo you can see the block which is positioned near the bow of the boat, i suppose it's used to get a smooth ride all the way into the tube without tipping the torpedo.

Okay, back to reality, still one to finish, the stuff is allready present, so back to the cave.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

IT'S DONE!!!!!, at least the constructive part.

A all around view of my little subject, still in need of a layer of paint.

Both tables can be swiffled outside, for now these are not permanent locked on the lower part.

I added the cables which hoist the complete construction to the bow of the type XXIII.

All these time this was the goal, a display for loading torpedo's, actually i discovered one error, i placed the tubes from my boat slightly outwards, now i'm not able to push the torpedo inside the tube.

Another picture from the other side, once painted it will be a nice addition to my type VII display stand.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

You screaming maniac, you!!!!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Wow, at least i don't need a magnifyer to read your comment.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

David,

Today i started my SD up for maintenance, the driveshaft was stucked, opened up the gearpart and cleaned this up, there was some residue of rust inside, do you use a sort of grease inside, or do the gears run dry?

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                          David,

Today i started my SD up for maintenance, the driveshaft was stucked, opened up the gearpart and cleaned this up, there was some residue of rust inside, do you use a sort of grease inside, or do the gears run dry?

Manfred.

Sounds like some water got past the drive-shaft seal, that seal backed up by an Oilite (oil impregnated) bearing. Sometimes those Oilites have an iron content, hence the rust. When you pull the motor plate, that permits you to pull the drive shaft with attached spur-gear away from the seal. Do so. Examine the Oilite bearing and cup-seal that sits on its after face. Are they free of rust and crude? If so, pull the cup-seal and clean the seal body and cup-seal. Reassemble and squirt some silicon lubricant on the Oilite and around the cup-seal. Reassemble the motor-bulkhead and test.

Need any parts, Manfred?

M

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Thanks David, no parts needed.
                            I've cleaned up all parts, no visible damage to the bearing or seal, repolished the shaft, sealed the part with bearing and cupseal with RTV, the only thing i discovered was, it seemed that the resin plug was not totally round, more a bit oval, fixed that with a file, i suspect that it was not centered with the shaft, so the seal couldn't work at it should, now this problem is fixed i can proceed with the rest of the SD.
                            It's a kind of habit to do this once a month, more to tackle this kind off issue's.

Manfred.
                            Last edited by MFR1964; 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Hi Manfred, found you over here.

Ken_NJ

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Whaaaaaa !!!!!, a stalker!!!!, welcome aboard Ken.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...