Name:	DSCF4534.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	81683

Leave a comment:

• roedj
    replied
    My Dear Neptune,

25 m below sea level - yikes!! Perhaps, "Fertig zum unterwasser" is not a good signature.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info. I was thinking more of two stiff cables inside sleeving to take the place of your solid fore and aft rods but otherwise just like your fixture - sort of.

Commander Concerned ... Fertig zum überwasser.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Hm, somehow you survived my lightning bolt, must be a defect on the lightning generator, i'll order some new anodes, just to be sure.

Since you are still undamaged, i'll answer your question, you refer to bowdencables, that can be used, i referred to a wire spun several times around the shaft of the rudder and connected to a wheel outside the hull, which is connected to the servo rod.
    Replacing such wire will be a pain in the butt, since it's almost impossible to do this without major damage to the rearpart, so i went for my module design.

As for, God of the dikes, i live minus 25 meters under sea level, so that 10 meter dike is a laugh, besides, it's better you guys think i live way up hill, you look up, and i can spy you from underneath.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• roedj
    replied
    Manfred Deus,

Thanks for the reply and not frying my Hinten. Alas, I have another question.

In the earlier post on page #2 you said:

...at first i tried the wire system, it worked, but there were some issue's,...

Please tell me - what issues - for I was thinking of using your fixture idea but instead of fore and aft solid bars, I would use stiff wires inside of tubing.

Enlighten me "Oh God" from a part of the world where Olympus is the top of a dike 10 meters above sea level.

Dan - Commander Curious

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Puny god......

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Which mortal dares to disturb the eternal rest at the Olympic Mountain!!!!!, oh, it's you, wait and stand still so i can start up the lightning generator.

It's 10 mm, it's near the limit, now get rid of those awfull arrows on my picture, and run for your life to build the same and dodge the lightningbolts

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM. Reason: too many kind words

Leave a comment:

• roedj
    replied
    Manfred,

I really love your work on this boat. I just realized that you may have the answer to a problem I've been struggling with on another boat - German Type 202 - namely how to move the rudder and rear dive planes without those ugly external push rods. Attached is a picture from page #2 of this thread showing your rudder/dive planes fixture.
    ...Click image for larger version

Name:	steering 002 question for Manfred copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	81635

My question is this - what is the dimension between the two arrows - between the two attachment points for the fore and aft control rods? Do you have any idea how small that dimension could be and still function reliably? I just may steal... I mean borrow your design.

Dan - Commander Klepto

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Guys, slow as a snail, but i will get her to run.

Steve,

With this boat i jumped in, normally i do a lot of research, now this info is pouring in, i have to alter my plans time after time.

Alec,

Yep, just like me, he even gave me the title King of Complexity, we both have to carry our burden, those details will make my boat stand out in the coming fleet of type XXIII"s, at least i know which one is mine when driving in the midst of that fleet.

Tom,

Yeah, work, sometimes i hate myself, at the beginning i speed ahead, only being stopped by those lovely details, i need a slave!!!!

Right now i'm working on the hatch, glad this has to be made on scale 1/35, at the end of the week i expect to have it finished, the list with other details is growing like a mad man, (name of the lord), you got to love this hobby!!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Excellent work!

Leave a comment:

• alad61
    replied
    That is amazing Manfred. I love the attention to detail your doing. And David calls me a detail nut... :biggrin:

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    great work Manfred. Nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Made the missing planking module and pimped her up with the stanchions and antenna wire, pictures

Not as good as the Bronco one, but after painting and weathering you won't see the difference at a distance.

All three parts can be lifted from the deck when needed.

Next step was to make the stanchions, since Bronco included the plastick one's, i could take some measurements and make a copper replacement, most tricky part was, drilling the 1 mm holes into the 1,5 mm rod.

Made a connection at the tower for hooking up.

Dryfitting the elastick cord to see at which place the connection will be placed at the deck.

This little thing gave me some grey hairs, only after the second attempt it worked out fine, the difficult thing about this is, you have to get your wires at both sides of the insulators, just like the real thing.

I've seen pics with three and four insulators, first i made the four insulator modification, to my taste there wasn't much antennawire left, so i broke it up and made the three insulator modification, giving me more lenght of antennawire.
    For now im modifing the dingy hatch, got myself some good pics to make it more accurate, to be continued.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Nice pics Mark, there are not that much full colourpics about WW2 uboats

That stripe is used in combination with the yellow one on the tower, found some pics from a XXIII with a simular stripe on the exhaustcover, it was also yellow like the stripe on the tower.
    Probably used to show the guys in the air that the boat was still used at the UAK.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Yes, I see that. I dont know. Unfortunately this book is in German. A English one was not available. Ill bet Manfred knows. HEY MANFRED!!! OLI OLI OPTENFREE!!! Or Something like that. Or Von Hilde.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Mark,
    Great photos. Something I see also is a white stripe across the deck towards the bow, any idea why?

Leave a comment:

Working...