• MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Boeh, scared yet?
    I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I'm intimidated by your work. Thanks for ruining my comfort level. Before you tackled this 212 kit, I thought I was pretty sharp. You are amazing.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

I think that's the major problem, people get intimidated, i on the other hand want to stimulate people to leave the known path, think outside the box, there is so much possible, just have the guts to try.
        Look at Ozzy, he rebuilded that awfull looking japanese sub to a standard which is way better than the standard kit, he also took the challence to struggle that beast, with a outstanding result.
        It has nothing to do with being sharp, i try to look at things in a other perspective, wether i will succeed or fail i will now at the end of my builds, at least i tried to do it.
        David, you are also a great builder and designer, in this market only the best can survive, you are still there, doesn't say that something?, there will be always better builders, but what counts for me, is the result which will please myself, if you like the result yourself, that's the main goal.

Now i will retreat myself into my meditationmode, and will think happy thoughts.

Greetings Manfred.
        Last edited by MFR1964; 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM.
        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

You and Chris keep me and Mike smiling -- this seems to be the Week of the 212!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

I've bought myself a V tail mixer, neat stuff, and made me a setup to see how everything works combined with the levelkeeper.
            Made a vid to show how all things work together, enjoy.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Greetings Manfred
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

After some playing with the V tail mixer i went ahead with some other issue's, still had to design a way to get the upperpart secured to the lowerpart, since i don't use the Z cut i had to find a other way.
              Also made a solution for the endcap that is being placed after the propellor and changed the guidingwires on the X tail, i'm slowly thinking about the WTC buildup, i've got to get a lot of stuff inside this cramped space.

Like i mentioned before to David i wasn't pleased with the size of the wires, took it all apart and builded it up again from some smaller wires, now they look more scale, adding the little vanes was more or less a gamble, i could do without, but i wanted to try if it was possible to build.
              Still have to give them some profile by gentle use of putty and sand them into shape, anyway the beginning is present.

Went ahead with the brackets for securing the upperpart, first job was glueing them on just under both hatches, added a screw and secured them by using a piece of silicone tube, this way you won't loose them during unscrewing the upperpart.

Also made a clamp that will secure the backside from lifting up, it slides under the X tail part securing the rear.

The deckscrews will be conceiled by the hatches, just like intended, did the same trick with the Walter V 80.

This is my solution for the hub placed behind the propellor, instead of just pushing it on it's secured by a little screw, have no idea how you guys call them, but it's doing the job.

Next week will be dedicated to some work on the WTC, finally i've got me some progress toward the water.

Greetings Manfred.
              Last edited by MFR1964; 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM.
              I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Great little innovations Manfred, can't wait to see how you'll incorporate the SAS.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Those little screws are known as 'grub screws'.

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

I think i will be pretty much the way David designed it, only difference will be, the floating valve and the safetyfloat valve, want to place that outside the WTC, i need all the room inside if possible, there are enough items that i have to place inside the WTC.

Thanks, another thing learned, so grub scews it is.
                    Last edited by MFR1964; 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM.
                    I went underground

Comment

• alad61
                      Commander
                      • Jan 2012

Wow & wow again!!! Manfred I may be too dumb to be intimidated but I'm not so when it comes to being in awe... perhaps one day when I am older and more greyer I'll attempt some of what you do. Till then I will watch, ask and learn from youself, David, Slats, oztruck & others.

I watched your video but the sound was not that good on my phone. So I missed why you ran you leads on the outside of the wtc?
                      Cheers,
                      Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                      But to dream is a reality

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

WHAT !!!!!!, Old and grey!!, listen young boy, you get massive muscles carrying your subs around, the ones you youngsters can only dream about, and my hair is called venetian blond, not grey.

Any way i placed the powerleads outside to create more room on the inside of the WTC, still have the option open for building some torpedo tubes, the brass tube running inside is a bit narrow to get all the wires through.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Being old has some advantages, they call it wishdom by experience, the remark of Tom about the navlights kept spooking around inside my brains, today at work it struck my mind.
                          I'll show you guys what i've done in a short while, just a prototype, only to test if it could do the trick, have to refine it further.

The lower rearlight, if it goes well i'll add the upper rear light.

Leftside navlight.

Rightside navlight.

Frontview of both navlights.

The makeshift wiring to get me some light.

The easy way for securing it with some ducktape.

The idea that struck my mind was, using some optic fibre cable, we use it at our work, you can see the glass part in front of the navlight.

Used a small green led to create the light at the end of my optic fibre.

Made a makeshift coupler using shrinkhose to keep the optic fibre connected to the led.

Here you can clearly see the green light leaving the optic fibre inside the nav housing.
                          It will take some fiddling to get the maximum light from the fibre by shaping it into the best lens, God i love being old.
                          I went underground

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Some pictures did not show up......Hmmm I will refresh my screen.
                            But the ones that did, brought a smile to my face.
                            I love fiber optics!
                            Great work Manfred.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,

Optic fibre is great stuff, in the modellingworld it's often used to light up their SF models and airplane cockpits, more difficult part will be finding a way of making a optic connection to the WTC which can be released with ease, have to boggle the brains about that.

Greetings Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Now you all know why 'Manfreded' has become a new Verb in the English language!

This is choice stuff indeed!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...