X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Super-glue and baking soda is a great fix to digit laceration issues.

David
    LOL - I learned to use CA when I was a lot younger and plunged a pocket knife into my palm. I needed to stop the bleeding and it works great on balsa wood, why not palm? Saved me a trip to emergency room and you can barely see the scar. When I mentioned I will just seal it with CA to Tina (nurse), she said that it makes her want to vomit. I don't get it? rub dirt in it and move on. She also did not like the idea of me continuing on the sub. I was supposed to rest, I do't get that either.Although I got the "I told you so" look when it was bleeding through the bandages.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Women!....
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Tonight, I have been working on redoing how my CT gets attached, but I also wanted to re-test my trim. During the pre-mission checkup, the ballast valve would not work, so without turning off the WTC, I removed the plug from the ballast servo and attached it to a different servo the servo worked. Then attached it to the old one again and it did not work. I removed the old one and moved the arm and it started working. So I need to replace it. Unfortunately my spare servo is larger than the servo with a dead spot. Could this be the final solution to my ballast lock up? I do not know, but it is a factor. I am going over my wiring just to be sure.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get a micro-servo from Caswell -- the same size as the one you're replacing. You can wait a few days, right?

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

That is the question, can I wait a few days? I will let you know after I visit my local hobby shop :-)

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I could not wait, but I could not spend money either. The servo that I have is larger only significantly in the bottom portion of the servo, the width and length were close. The axis or the diameter/area that the arm pivots on is larger, so I would not be able to use the arm from the WTC. That being said I took the arm that goes with the larger servo and trimmed back its length and cut a slot to match the old wtc servo.

That was the easy part. Putting the servo in and fastening it down was a pain in my tukas. About 45 minutes (possibly longer - I can not be sure because I had to walk away several times). Powered on radio and wtc. It worked. Assembled the wtc and again ran the pre-mission check and everything worked. I will do another pool test and trim check.

I must say, and forgive the shameless plug for Revell and Caswell, but I hope that Revell will re-issue the Gato. It is one wonderful sub and such a joy to see running. If you are out there and have one collecting dust, start building it. Put a Caswell/D&E WTC in it and have fun.

David, your cabal report on making brass railing for the type VII is inspiring me to try it on the Gato - we'll see. I made a clay mold of the railings and will use that as a guide.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, you got the bigger servo to work. Nothing says it louder than success!

Thanks for the plug.

Just trace out the railing outline (using the plastic kit part as a stencil) on the material you're using as a soldering jig and dig a little pit under where each solder point is. No need for clay. Keep it simple!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Since I have been testing the sub for open water, I have knocked off do-dads and broken fine things (which the wiz did say would happen) off the conning tower.
                  The railings are very delicate looking and I wanted to see if I can make them in brass.

There are curves in the railing on the conning tower, so I was not sure what you meant David when you said to trace the railings. To create a guide to make the railings, I filled the inside of the railings with potters clay.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass_Railing_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	67877
                  Removing the plastic part, you can see there is a nice channel to put the wires in.

Name:	Brass_Railing_002.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	67878
                  This is quite the learning time for me. I can solder with a torch, but soldering with a soldering iron is tricky. Practice and time will help I know, but please pardon my mess. Here are the parts I made. There are blobs of solder that I will need to clean up. I am tired and will do the fitting and clean up tomorrow (maybe), my biggest desire is to get her in the water for more tests and learning how to control the Gato better.

Name:	Brass_Railing_003.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	67879

Comment

• alad61
                    Commander
                    • Jan 2012

Well that impressive. I made up the internal rail in the wheelhouse on my static Brodeen 31 inch Disney Nautilus and that was frustrating enough. As for breaking things off, yeah I know what you mean... So far the only casualties Ihave had have been the rear flagpole, again on Saturday, the barrel on the AA gun, the antenna foundation and the two out riggers on the tower for antenna wires.
                    Cheers,
                    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

Trout .. sounds like you had the same servo fail as I did on my type7 .. any hints for getting the new one in place? my beat up mechanic ham fists I think I'll have to walk away more then you did ;)

was your servo slightly melted too?

good to hear you got yours back together and functional again .... I just haven't had the time to get back to my poor SD ...

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Reckless - I taped a small screwdriver to a larger one so I could reach the screws to get the old one out and the new one in. Then I have a pair of tongs that I use for a pickle bath and I used that to hold the servo. To keep a good grip on the servo, I wrapped the end of the tongs with tape to keep tension on the servo and later the servo bracket. Mybe this will help.

I re-did the railings tonight because I did not like the first ones and the joints got better as I went along.

Name:	Brass_Railing_004.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	67884
                        Placed the gun in and the barrel rested perfectly.

Name:	Brass_Railing_005.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	67885
                        And this is for Scott. Whom I promised if he posted I would show the cut - healing pretty good! Your still sick. :-)

Name:	Brass_Railing_006.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	67886

Comment

• Aug 2008

Fair job on the railings. Me? I made the entire sail removable with origional plastic parts and have not suffered any breakage there yet. Consider doing that on your next kit assembly job.

Oh ... and Ellie, after examining your boo-boo picture: "He calls that a cut?! What a puss!"
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Thank you David, if the brass railing makes the conning tower too heavy and I see the listing and tipping as she surfaces, I will yank it off and put plastic on.
                            Ellie, I will not mention it again. I blame myself. :-)

Comment

• Aug 2008

The extra weight is of little consiquence, trout. Leave it on.

Ellie answers: 'Hurrumph!'

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

David,
                                What's up with the new avatar?
                                Tell Ellie I have the utmost respect for her, she is a real champ from what I can tell.

Comment

Working...