Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beeryboats
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Tom, those are great photos. I always wondered why I didn't see any exhaust outlets on the hull. I'm still too busy trying to get mine balasted to worry 'bout detail work. Maybe I'll get more done this weekend after I pull the sailboat out of the rapidly evaporating lake:(

Jay

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by beeryboats
      Tom, those are great photos. I always wondered why I didn't see any exhaust outlets on the hull. I'm still too busy trying to get mine balasted to worry 'bout detail work. Maybe I'll get more done this weekend after I pull the sailboat out of the rapidly evaporating lake:(

Jay
      Jay, Thanks - I know trimming the sub can be a pain, but you will get there! I don't know why the exhaust was not put in either!

David, I am really glad you are enjoying this and that we are all learning. You are so welcome! Saying that, I want to see you detail out your Gato, so I can learn from you!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Searching a different route, I came across a video of a rescue of a B-29 crew. After the advertisement there is a news report about it, when this video finishes, there is a full length video (about 8 minutes) of the rescue of the crew in its recommended play list. http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=672454611001

Here is a capture from it.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	B-29_rescue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	68438

Notice the rust below the waterline!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Nope, I see rust running down on the black tank-tops. The waterline is about a foot below where this picture crops out. Looked at the video (nice catch, by the way) and did not see any of the boat bobbing up showing off the below waterline area.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

O.K. I will concede on this one, David.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't make me come over there!!!!!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

David and Ellie, you are welcome to Las Vegas anytime!
                I picked up the Floating Drydock Submarine Plan eBook - wow is that cool.
                School has started and my time has been in that and I got Rick's Aluminaut sub to build. The Gato is getting hull treatments. Minty toothpaste burns the eyes.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just how do you get that weathering agent into your eyes????
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Not directly - the minty freshness is potent aromatic and causes eye irritation - like onions, just minty.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Pussie!.................
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I will tell you the rest of the story later..........

Comment

• Aug 2008

Slick! Very nice work. Surprising such a large boat can make (just) a complete circle in that pool. Good driving. Looks like you have it dialed in, Tom.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• satlite440
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jul 2012

nice.....excelent boat

Comment

• alad61
                              Commander
                              • Jan 2012

Great job mate! And as David said some slick driving... :) I envy the fact you have a big pool to play in...
                              Cheers,
                              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

The pool is at my mother-in-law's retirement complex, but it is available and empty a lot of the time.

Now the rest of the story........
                                When I arrived at the pool, the first run was frustrating because she would not dive. So I took her out of the water and did some adjustment to the bow planes through the wFly TX. When I replaced the stripped gear, I must not have gotten the arm on exactly as before.
                                Then I did the second run and that is what you saw filmed. It was fun. When she behaves she is outstanding.

The third run was going to get more underwater film - then it happened almost right away.......

Wait for it.......

Name:	Oh-Oh_1.jpg
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	72939

Name:	Oh-Oh_2.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	72940
                                That is not me surfacing..... that is me cruising along slowly. The aft end seemed to lose its buoyancy (my first thought was water leaked in). Interesting was watching the sub as speed was added and see the leveler bring the rear up for me to a semi-level position. This mission was cut short.

Pulling out the sub, to my relief the WTC was dry (which is a very nice thing). No weights were floating around no foam lost......What the flip happened?
                                Working theory.....lets see what you think.....In placing the foam in the hull, I must have gaps that have trapped air, the longer I am in the water the air slowly leaks out until it gets to the point of changing the positive buoyancy to Davey's Locker homing beacon.

Comment

Working...