X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Surprize! Surprize! :D
    Today all reciever channels are doing what they're supposed to. I guess the Grimlins had enough fun with me yesterday and desided to take the day off. ;)
    I'm still getting a little servo jitter when the drive motors are running but that seems to be normal with all the electronics wadded up in those tight little SDs.
    I try to route the ESC and motor wires away from everything else, but in that tight space they sometime end up close to each other, causing cross-talk signals, which is what I think the problem is.
    I Hate having to run the antenna wire past the motors, but it has to go out the same end-cap. I may try to shield the antenna (with grounded shield sleeve) inside SD and see if that helps any?

I never had all these problems with my Surface Ships! :)
    Last edited by toppack; 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• VanguardUK
      Lieutenant
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by toppack
      Mike,
      In this picture of a British T-class model I've found several errors and problems.
      The one I'm curious about tho are the fixed vertical fins, on top of deck, above dive-planes.
      I don't think any of the T-class subs had these but it's difficult to tell since in all pics the DPs are in up position. I saw a picture of a S-class that appeared to have them. Did all S-class have those short fixed vertical fins? And maybe some of the T-class?
      Very strange that they were needed there, unless they were a safety-bump-stop for the bow-planes ???
      Click Pic:
      That's my old boat

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by VanguardUK
        That's my old boat
        Hello, VanguardUK
        Tell us more about it. Do you still have it?
        What's your opinon about the bow Dive-plane guard fins on top of bow deck?
        The bow dive-planes appear to be fixed (not movable) is that true?
        I see that changes were made to upper bow torpedo-tubes. Did you make operational torpedos for it?
        I noticed that it's aft deck is curved more (hump-backed as originals were) than the hull I purchased. Did you modify it to get that shape, as I did with mine, or is it a different version of that hull kit (Metcalf, MbyD, etc.)?
        I was wondering about the large round hole in side of superstructure, port side forward of tower?
        What type flotation and ballast system does it have?
        How did you deside on that shade of green color?
        Do you have other pictures you could post?
        As you can see I have a lot of questions and answers have been difficult to find. :)
        Any other suggestions on how to make mine more realistic in appearance and operation will be appreciated?
        Thanks, and I'm sorry about the negative comment about your model.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by toppack; 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• Deep Diver
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2009

Hi
          Have just had a look at the photos of the Truculent when they lifted her off the seabead, no sign of any D/P guards or of any hole on the port side, I think John made a mistake with this as that is about were the forward torpedo hatch and the loading derrick is located, will have a look at my drawings later to-day.

Comment

• VanguardUK
            Lieutenant
            • Feb 2009

I was lucky enough to meet a bloke who served on Tallyho at the end of the war - he was a member of out club.

I also had a book called "The Hunting Submarine -The fighting Life of HMS Tallyho" i think & it was an account of Tallyho's operational career in the Pacific, in it was refernce to her being painted green at that time - hence the colour.

With regard to the hull, this was an original Darnell hull, the only thing I altered was the Gun turret & infilled the Fwd tubes to give the appearance of being loaded - these would have been loaded externally. I also scratch built the guns & Masts.

I built this boat about 7 years ago & foolishly sold it on, If you're reading this Pete Uney - I want it back!

I fitted it out with a Compressor system, inflating a bag in the central wet section with air stored in a can in the bow- if I was re doing it I would fit a water pump system.

She was very stable & I never bothered linking up the Fore' planes, I fitted the guards based on pictures from the book, if I can find it, I will scan some images & post them.

There was also some damage done to the Port side in a collision with a Jap freighter & additional plating was welded on top of the hull - nice detail touch!

Check out this link

Attached Files
            Last edited by VanguardUK; 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by VanguardUK
              I also had a book called "The Hunting Submarine -The fighting Life of HMS Tallyho" i think & it was an account of Tallyho's operational career in the Pacific, in it was refernce to her being painted green at that time - hence the colour.

With regard to the hull, this was an original Darnell hull, the only thing I altered was the Gun turret & infilled the Fwd tubes to give the appearance of being loaded - these would have been loaded externally.
              Yes, I have that very Good book also and I talked about it and the green color earlier, somewhere on this forum, I think in this thread. Mike and I were trying to determine what shade of green it actually was. Mike contacted someone, in the UK I think, and determined it should be more of a Hunter-green.

Thanks for the very Interesting Info about your Tally-ho.
              Any other suggestions would be appreciated, since I've really just started mine.
              Last edited by toppack; 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM.
              Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Deep Diver
                Hi
                Have just had a look at the photos of the Truculent when they lifted her off the seabead, no sign of any D/P guards or of any hole on the port side, I think John made a mistake with this as that is about were the forward torpedo hatch and the loading derrick is located, will have a look at my drawings later to-day.
                Very Interesting,
                Are those pictures in a form that could be posted on forum?

Yes, the the torpedo loading-derrick mounts above that area, thru a hatch in top of deck, not thru side.

I still have not gotten my drawings. :rolleyes: Maybe someday Mike will quit Playin'-Around and find it for me? I hope so?
                Last edited by toppack; 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM.
                Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

I still have not gotten my drawings. :rolleyes: Maybe someday Mike will quit Playin'-Around and find it for me? I hope so?

Rick

I asked Copy Max to forward the scaled drawings to you. But they told me that had a problem with re-scaling the scan. It's probably not going to happen in an exact scale, and you really do need this drawing. I should just mail you my original?
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Mike and I were trying to determine what shade of green it actually was. Mike contacted someone, in the UK I think, and determined it should be more of a Hunter-green.

I actually know what the green color was, the 1st lieutenant Steve Jenner, of my dad's boat HMS Sibyl, told me a couple of years ago. It was BRUNSWICK GREEN. However, Jenner (he's 85) said that it depended what color was available in the depot ship on the day the captain decided he wanted a paint job. In the Far East the very dark Brunswick Green was used, but I can't say for sure that this color was used anywhere else. I don't think it was used in the Atlantic, North Sea or the Med.

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

Any help on getting a drawing would be appreciated, scale size would be good but not necessary, Thanks

Well Heck, Now You've got me Unsure, of what Color to use, Again.
                      I have found good color samples of Brunswick green, tho, and it does look correct.
                      The Tally-ho was in Far-east and in B&W pics it does seem to be a Dark color.
                      I'll just get a color that I Like!, that sort of looks correct. :)
                      Last edited by toppack; 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM.
                      Rick L.

Comment

• Deep Diver
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jan 2009

Hi
                        As I have a set of dock yard drawings in 1/48 scale so P/M me and I will see if I can get you a copy and send them to you

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Hi! DeepSea

Here is a low res scan of what I have for the T Class, are they the same as yours?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Deep Diver
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2009

Hi Kazzer
                            No but they look like the ones from MAP Plans service,I have a copy of it in the corner of my office, the ones that I have came from Barrow Dock Yard, they also did a photo service so the you could get a photo of the boat as she was on the slipway.
                            All the best Deep Diver

Comment

• toppack
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Nov 2008

I found this T-class plan, on xlistplans website in UK.
                              This may be what's left of the 'MAP Plans Service' stuff?
                              But not much Info available on website?
                              I don't think it includes hull contour (bulkhead) drawings?

Last edited by toppack; 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM.
                              Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Nov 2008

Has anyone mailed a Drawing yet?
                                I hate to be a Pest about this, but I'm Diein' here guys!
                                Rick L.

Comment

Working...