This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

I think their correct name is 'dive plane guards'. I've seen them on all S & T Class earlier boats, but when they were streamlined, they were all removed.
    I made mine from brass sheet.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Okay Thanks,
      I guess I'll put them on. I was going to make that area between them removable anyway, to inspect T-launcher triggers, so the fins will be handy to use as handles when removing and installing it. :)
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

After studying pictures of Tally-ho more closely, I've desided that she did Not have DP guard fins. I don't think any of the Group-3 T-class subs did.
        So now I can't deside if I Need the handles or not ???? :confused:
        (I could design some other way to remove it.)
        There's Always some History-Changing Decision to be Made! Censored
        Last edited by toppack; 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

I got the scale 3/16"-shaft propellers for the T-class. Wow, they look Small on the 1/48th hull.
          I can certainly see why the original boats were so Slow, having to run props that undersized.
          But I'm not building a speed boat
          and the Raboesch props are very high quality, as usual. :)
          Last edited by toppack; 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM.
          Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

I was able to route the prop shafts directly to flex couplings attached to 3.5" SD.
            I had to relocate the fairing holes thru hull tho, by sanding away the fairing almost completely and using the handy-dandy RepairItQuik sculpting epoxy I got from Caswell to reconstruct them. They only protrude from hull about a 1/8" more than they did. I used the epoxy both inside and outside to hold stuffing-tubes in place.
            Everything at shafts fits and looks great now. :)

I also used the epoxy to modify the forward torpedo-tube door areas, since they were not realistic looking at all and needed major changes.

That epoxy is Great stuff! :)
            Last edited by toppack; 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM.
            Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
              I also used the epoxy to modify the forward torpedo-tube door areas, since they were not realistic looking at all and needed major changes.

That epoxy is Great stuff! :)

Which epoxy Rick? Quickwood? That's my favorite!

As for the speed of the boat, scale it down from the original spec. I figure it should run at about 1.5-2 mph - a slow walk. My S Class looked pretty good in the water at that speed - very realistic. They need a hell of a turning circle though. I may cheat and pop a small Raboesh bow thruster in to help on the turns! :o

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

I used RepairItQuik. You must have gotten all the Quickwood, mine's still on backorder?
                I've already increased the size of the rudder, maybe that will help some with the turning radius.
                I increase the rudder area about 25% from scale, on all my ship models, doing the same on the subs also. I may just tie a frying-pan on the tail of this one tho! :D
                Last edited by toppack; 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM.
                Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

Well, i found out that my recievers do NOT like for two servos to be connected in parallel on one channel. Tried 3 recievers.
                  As soon as I connect up the 2nd one all the servos start 'Dancing the Jig'. :confused:
                  I put my O-scope on one of the other channels to monitor it and there were strange intermittent pulses everywhere.
                  Since I need to reverse one of the servos anyway, I'll see if the reversing-circuit isolates them so they won't 'Start having a Dance contest'. I'll need to order one so will have to wait to check it out.
                  I've seen Y-cables with a reverser in one leg already, I'll try to find one. I think Tower-Hobbies used to sell them.
                  If that don't fix it, it's gonna be in a 'world of hurt'. :rolleyes:
                  Last edited by toppack; 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM.
                  Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Nov 2008

I found the yellow one at Tower and the black one on eBay for half price.
                    I like the connector layout of the black one better, so I ordered 2 of those.
                    Has anyone used either of these Y-cable Reversers?
                    Click Pic:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by toppack; 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM.
                    Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

Well, No help from you guys, so looks like 'I'm treading a New Path' .:rolleyes:
                      I'm having Fun Now! I'll drink to THAT!
                      Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
                        Opto-Isolated to eliminate radio noise. Operates 2 devices from one channel. Independently turn on and off 2 devices up to 20 volts @ 4 amps. Selectable fail-safe feature. Selectable momentary or latching feature for each device
                        If you are suggesting an E-switch to be used to solve my problem, that is a 'Completely Different' thing.
                        E-switches are for turning devices on/off (such as lights, pump-motors, etc.). It's just a remotely actvated Switch.
                        I'm trying to connect 2 servos to 1 reciever channel, for mechanical activation of 2 linkage arms at opposite ends of the sub. I had to do it that way since I ran out of reciever channels for everything I wanted to put into model.
                        I'm hopeing the reverser circuit will isolate it the same as the E-switches do.

Caswell sells a very good E-switch called MERS for single device and the ES-2 for 2 devices on same channel.
                        I did order and recieved my first ES-2 from them. I bench tested it today and it's working great. :) I'll try it in the SD tomorrow.
                        Last edited by toppack; 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM.
                        Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Nov 2008

I found another type servo reverser. It's sort of the Cadillac model, made by Futaba. It also has a signal-noise filter circuit, which i think I'll need.
                          It's larger than the others but I have enough space in the 3.5" SD.
                          I got one on eBay at a low price so thought I'd give it a try also.
                          Click Pic:
                          Attached Files
                          Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Nov 2008

Jittery servos sure do draw a lot of current.
                            I'm glad I put a good heat-sink on the voltage-regulator in forward WTC.
                            While trying to trouble-shoot the problem it was getting Very Hot, because of the excess current.
                            Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Nov 2008

It's just one problem after the other. :eek: :mad:
                              I got the small black servo reversers, I tried one and it worked but it did not stop the jitter problems, but after trying many things I found that by switching functions of clannels 5 and 6, the problem went away. Which is very strange! :confused:
                              I then noticed that one of the propulsion motors output shaft was not turning. I found that the motor was turning tho, so I took appart the gear-reduction assembly on it and fount that it had a loose set screw in gear on motor shaft.
                              After getting it all back together i found that the vent/blow servo (ch-1) would Not work now. It seemed that for some reason that reciever channel or it's connector had now quit, so I switched everything over to another reciever.
                              Now everthing worked including the vent/blow servo, except now the snort pump would not turn off, which is on an E-switch(ch-7).
                              That was the last straw, I couldn't take any more Fun for tonight.:(
                              Last edited by toppack; 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM.
                              Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                                It's just one problem after the other. :eek: :mad:

That was the last straw, I couldn't take any more Fun for tonight.:(
                                Phew! I thought I was the only one who suffered from this stuff!

There has to be a better way!

But, where I was three years ago, BECs were not incorporated into ESCs, ESCs were klunky, failsafes were a mess, 72 mhz or 75 who cared. RCABS RCABS_R????? Why would an 'expert' sell me a 'stuffing box' for a submarine drive shaft?

What a mess. How could so few, make so much chaos?

Onward gentlemen! We have work to do!

Comment

Working...