Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Forgot this picture. That flack gun is tiny and it has a lot of those microscopic brass parts. Didn't lose one and got them all inplace. Visors help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5078 (2).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	138137

Comment

• SteveNeill
      Commander
      • Apr 2020

Still a workin on the U-Boat. I'm not use to the Subdrivers as I built many of my own cylinders and used most BigDave RCABS. I do like this concept though. No bladder, pumped and snorted and best of all, no gas!

It didn't take long to assemble David's new (to me anyway) WTC. Works like a clock when finished and Bob Martin was always there for me to answer my questions via text messaging.

The build is moving quick and I figured before I went too much further I should assemble the WTC and get it in the boat working.

I love the fact that the entire forward compartment is battery alone. Nice large ballast tank too. The APC works amazingly well. It can be mounted anywhere even on it's side and it zeros at start up and maintains level throughout.

Very pleased with this build. Few problems encountered that could be fix easy and all in the kit. Not the WTC.

Name:	IMG-5144.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	138350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5142.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	138351

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Man, that got built up quick, Steve! Great work!

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

Thanks Bob. She's a quick build for a VIIC. I got all the systems working fine. Merriman's cylinder installed with ease. Here's a short little video.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Nice work, Steve.

Not sure if you were give the planes and rudder full throw on the sticks, but if so, you'll want to adjust or rework your linkages for more deflection. The stock setup from Ark is, for lack of a better term, substandard. You'll need to build your own linkages there. Aim for a minimum of 30 degrees of deflection. It will definitely work as is, but she'll be sluggish.

Bob

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Nice work, Steve.

Not sure if you were give the planes and rudder full throw on the sticks, but if so, you'll want to adjust or rework your linkages for more deflection. The stock setup from Ark is, for lack of a better term, substandard. You'll need to build your own linkages there. Aim for a minimum of 30 degrees of deflection. It will definitely work as is, but she'll be sluggish.

Bob
              Thanks Bob!

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Hey Steve, very nice work. J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Slats
                  Hey Steve, very nice work. J
                  Thank you J!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

A bit more work still. I got the snort valve setup to fit inside the tower near the hatch. I had to remove some plastic inside for the scope tunnels. This meant I had to rip out some of the lighting wiring. In hindsight I should have mounted the valve first. Will reroute and clean up the wiring. No big deal. Now that all the business work is done I can finish off the cosmetics and call this boats done.

I did install the pigtail water tight cable for lighting in the forward compartment of the WTC. And yes Bob I will put in that brass tube and fuel tubing for linking testing. ;)

Started fiddling a bit on the Nautilus. I have built four of these now for customers this one is for me and will have all the bells and whistles. She is tiny but these run like bigger boats and are a real joy. Type 23 in the back will get the razor cut deck opening next.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Getting there!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

Looks nice Steve. Like the good old days building again.

Darrin

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Nice job Steve! As per Darrin, it is great to see the old time craftsmanship is still alive and doing well!

Note: I really like your hat!!!:-)

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob and Darrin! Yes it is like the good ole days of building. I missed it. The hat is a www.warhats.com authentic reproduction hat of theirs. It was a gift from a few years back. I got two of the flotilla hat pins from U-96 yesterday from them. I realized I had inadvertently did that boat when I painted it. The Sawfish is on the left side of the tower.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2020

I got this new little handheld self contained airbrush to add to my ever growing collection of airbrushes. For 50 buckets this is really nice and perfect for touch up and weathering. You are free from noise and a long hose. The double action I have never got use to but I'm trying now. As a result my attempts to weather this boat are a bit heavy handed for my tastes. I'll be toning this all down as soon as my Vallejo rust kit shows up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

She's cleared coated and ready for hot tube trials tomorrow. Ballast and flotation in. WTC tested and no leaks found. Tight as a drum. I'll be shooting video of the timing session for your amusement.

​​​​​​​Got a Type 214 inbound I'll be building for a customer. Due in next week I'll start the Nautilus next in the interim.

Airbrush can be had here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG-5335.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	138937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5333.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	138938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5270.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	138939

Comment

• ffr2608
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2009

Excellent work Steve. What a great size for the 7. Did you get a WTC for the 23 too?

D

Comment

Working...