Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Detail Rich!

You're taking us all back to school, Doctor.

David
    Attentive Student
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• goshawk823
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2010

Spectacular work on the antenna. I never realized how much detail was beneath the welded metal holders on the tower.

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Don’t know what I could add. Definitely a build for envy.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

A big help is the excellent set of plans by Rössler & Köhler that provides detailed drawings of almost every piece of external equipment. Highly recommended...

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
            A big help is the excellent set of plans by Rössler & Köhler that provides detailed drawings of almost every piece of external equipment. Highly recommended...

I’ve got the Vom Original zum Modell on several U Boats, including the one for the XXIII. Great references as well.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

There is the "Vom Original zum Modell" about the XXIII that contains pages with the above plans and there is alos a more extensive book about the XXIII that contains lots usefull info, e.g. th water piping plans, electric plans, ventilation plans....I used it extensively for the interior of my model.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

The Bronco kit provides a nice basis for building a proper model right out of the box. But in many cases, the kit designers have sacrificed details for the ease of assembly. For example the deck. Every XXIII kit I know displays the boat with a wooden deck in front of the sail. Theses decks existed bit were only installed at port. For operation, these decks were removed and then only two welded-on steel rails provided a rest of footing on the front of the boat. I want to display the boat without the deck in operation mode. Unfortunately the kit has recesses in the bow section to help installing the deck. Good for easy assembly but without deck simply wrong. So the recesses had to go. I cut strips of 0,5 mm thick styrene sheet and glued them into the recesses. Once dried I filed them into shape. Filling and consequent wet sanding....recesses are gone. Next fix will be the loading hatch for the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-362.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	169895

Name:	XXIII-363.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	169896

Name:	XXIII-364.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	169897

Name:	XXIII-365.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	169898

Name:	XXIII-366.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	169899

Name:	XXIII-367.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	169900

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

I continued with correcting the battery loading hatch. In the original there was a rectangular hatch in front of the sail, that was screwed shut by numerous bolts and that was protected against damage by encasing it in a welded housing. The housing of the kit is O.K., but the hatch itself is too large and the bolts are indicated by dices. Not good enough. So I cut the hatch part out of the housing. Prior, I marked the position of the housing on the hull, as the now missing hath also provided the positioning. The housing has two gaps (front, rear) that don't belong there (hidden by the wood deck when built out of the box). I filled those using styrene sheets, filled and sanded the gaps. Then I adjusted the size of the hatch opening again using styrene and finally I glued the 3D-printed hatch with bolts in its position. Better....

Name:	XXIII-368.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	169931

Name:	XXIII-369.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	169932

Name:	XXIII-370.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	169933

Name:	XXIII-371.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	169934Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-372.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	169935Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-373.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	169936

Then I installed the grating that protects the bow vent valve (missing in the kit), The grating is again a 3D-printed part. I removed some material below to give the whole affair some depth.

Name:	XXIII-374.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	169937

Finnaly I installed the anti skid rails on the bow section. I made them from 1 x 1 mm^2 square styrene rods.

Name:	XXIII-375.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	169938

Name:	XXIII-376.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	169939

Getting somewhere....

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Any idea why the ballast vent grating is offset from the midline?
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

Could be space issues.....here's the internal structure of the ballast tank. The round plate in the upper middle ist the valve. I guess there was just not enough room in the middle. of the roof of the tank. That said, the valve is off center, but reaches over the center line, so the tank can be vented completely.

Here's the grill in on the real thing...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by DrSchmidt; 02-26-2023, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230227_062745_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	169953Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230227_063428_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	169954Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230227_062859_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	169955
                        Found these photos of U-171 (ex-U2367) on Pinterest

There seems to be a small locker next to the vent grating.

With the closeup of the deck you can see there are short tubular stand offs. There must be some pins underneath the wood deck that plug into these.

The twin capstan at the bow are also offset to the left. On the model it's molded exactly midline.
                        Last edited by redboat219; 02-26-2023, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Found this. Looks like those tube are on the outside the wooden deck to keep it from sliding off. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230227_091531.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	169962
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by redboat219; 02-26-2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

That was m,y guess too. Fixing points.....that will go on as well, but at the stage when I add the final fine details. In the moment I'm filling and sanding the keel. Too much danger to rip stuff off.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Note this Type XXIII with short intermittent deck rail. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230227_063159_Chrome.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	169969Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230227_063131_Chrome.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	169970

could it be that the wooden deck in the Bronco kit was based off this particular sub? You could just cut off the wood grate and use the rails in the kit. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4783.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	169971

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

These boats were made at the end of the war when resources became increasingly scarce and time for manufacturing also became shorter and shorter. Looking at many photos I came to the conclusion that no two boats were the same. Antennas, steps, skid rails, location of limber, hatch for pressure tight compartment, all that could be different. So I basically work on the version that later on became U-Hecht (S 170), the first sub of the Bundesmarine (the German Federal Navy).

Comment

Working...