Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

MY pleasure....and btw.: the new model isn't perfect either ;-)

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

I've started building the bow section of my XXIII. Below the torpedo room was the big battery compartment and a small storage space right at the front below the torpedo tubes. I printed everything in three sections with the batteries for section one. Now waiting for new resin...

Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-158.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	157921

Name:	XXIII-159.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	157922

Name:	XXIII-160.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	157923

Name:	XXIII-161.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	157924

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

Continuing with the XXIII bow torpedo rum. The pressure hull of these boats were shaped like an eight with a large tube on top and a smaller one below. The lower tube hosted the batteries and there was a tiny storage compartment at the front, right below the torpedo tubes. First thing I noticed: I forgot the connectors (metal stripes to electrically hook the cells together) on my battery cells. So back to the CAD and print them again (now in white). There is almost no info on the storage compartment (details or photos), so here we're entering the realm of my fantasy. The only 1,5 m high hole got a rack on the port side and a grating floor. Th rack will be loaded with tins, barrels, sacks and boxes.

Name:	XXIII-162.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	158281

Name:	XXIII-163.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	158282

Name:	XXIII-164.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	158283

Name:	XXIII-165.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	158284

Name:	XXIII-166.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	158285

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

when you work allot on your model but hardly any progress is visible, then it might be due to the fact that you're painting tons of tiny ****. Batteries for battery room 2

Name:	XXIII-167.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	158527

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

It is looking great! Can’t wait to see your next build update.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

Thank you, here's the next update: Slow progress but the first to battery blocks are in place. Counting the cells I ntoiced that I'm missing two cells. So I consulted the pans and found the two missing cells where I believed should be a gap. So printing and painting a single cell before I can continue. Progress is also slow because of the complex painting of nearly all black batteries in an all gray battery room. To give everything a natural look and some depth, painting is complex: primer, base color, filter, clear coat, wash, dry brushing, clear coat. With respect to the batteries you have to add painting all these tiny contacts and contact rails, too. But I'm quite happy how it turned out so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-168.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	158585

Name:	XXIII-169.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	158586

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                Counting the cells I noticed that I'm missing two cells.

Click image for larger version Name:	XXIII-168.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	158585
                Anal Retentive.
                Last edited by redboat219; 01-29-2022, 06:43 AM.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

I try to not take it as an offence.

I'm trying to understand the boat I'm building...the book about the Type XXIII says 2 x 31 cells. So when you have 60 instead of 62, then 2 are missing. So fixing it I actually learned something about how the boat was operated.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

The battery bus bar detail is a nice touch! Painting everything really adds life to the model.

The painstaking attention to detail crafted into this model is only surpassed by the amount of research and perseverence required to ensure its accuracy. Going the extra mile to make it as accurate as possible is what separates good modelers from great ones.

This thread inspired me to get into resin printing. I was unable to replicate the level of detail I was modeling into my filament prints.

Smoothing the learning curve for resin printing, much longer print times, and the extra labor required to clean and cure parts leaves me more than satisfied with the results obtained.

Keep up the great work!

CC

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

For detail work, resin printing is superior. For larger structures, I'd always use a filament printer.

The battery connectins are actually inspired by the type XXI batteries....

The XXIII had two battery blocks with 31 cells, about 4 V each. So the baot could use 120V and 240V for the drive motor.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

Battery room 2 ist done. The remaning cells are installed and the central gap, where the ventilation duct will come down, is secured with wooden beams....

Name:	XXIII-170.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	158649

Name:	XXIII-171.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	158650

Name:	XXIII-172.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	158651

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                          Battery room 2 ist done. The remaning cells are installed and the central gap, where the ventilation duct will come down, is secured with wooden beams....

Name:	XXIII-170.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	158649

Name:	XXIII-171.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	158650

Name:	XXIII-172.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	158651
                          Beautiful! And scary.

I rode the trolley in one of the TRUTTA's battery wells to take gravities (part of my qualification assignments). Just before shoving me down the rails one of the Electrician *******s reminded me that if I touched a busbar, they would wait for my body to boil off all moisture before they pulled my remains out of the well. I would rather dive tubes all day than ever do that again.

You have done such a wonderful job of taking some of us back to 'what it was like'. Your model work here is indeed an eye and mind catching thing, sir.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

Thank you sir for the compliment and insight into the job of a submariner. Well, seems like the folks on XXIIIs were lucky, as the battery rooms were so tight that they had no trolleys. The batteries could only be serviced through hatches that were not easily accessible. The whole boat was narrow as hell. Must have been like working in an oil barrel.
                            Last edited by DrSchmidt; 01-30-2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

What was the censored word? Mates? Lol.
                              Last edited by Das Boot; 01-31-2022, 01:11 AM.
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

He Who Shall Not Be Named : Unless the batteries were of fundamentally different kind on US boats, I guess the electricians made a bit fun of you. In the XXIII each cell had 4 volts, 31 about 120 Volts at the end of the lines. 120 Volts don't kill you. The cells are connected in series, so when you bridge two neighboring cell lines you will be exposed to 20-30 Volts. Even less scary. Or do I get something wrong?

Comment

Working...