Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    Originally posted by DrSchmidt

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-142.jpg Views:	47 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	157340
    How interesting it would be if you could get one of those "borescope" cameras you can attach to your smartphone and do a "walking tour" inside your finished model starting from the engine room to the torpedo room.

Last edited by redboat219; 12-30-2021, 08:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    I've glued the pressure hull wall and the inner section together. From here on the completion of the control room will be from back to forth. I began by adding the auxiliary switchboard plus cables left next to the radio room. Right of it, on the radio room wall, is the airbox with the lime cartridges. In front is the shaft of the direction finder antennae with the black clutch cage on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-143.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	157445Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-144.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	157446

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Thanks allot. Still a very long way to go. I hope I can keep the rest at that level....

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    Started working on the lights of the control room. In 1:35 scale one an actually model the lamps close to the original, i.e. with base and cage for the bulb. I made 3D models of the base and the cage and printed a bunch of them. The wires of a warm-white micro LED is routed through the central hole in the base, and then the cage is glued onto the base. We have a lamp. Three of them went onto the pressure hull wall and I have to admit, that I'm rather pleaed wth the result....

Name:	XXIII-139.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	157337

Name:	XXIII-140.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	157338Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-141.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	157339

Name:	XXIII-142.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	157340
    Andreas,

I am at a loss for words! You are truly a master! I wish I knew of better words to describe what I am witnessing here. Your craftmanship is truly magnificent, I am just going to leave at that!

Thank you so much for sharing your work on this forum!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    that compartment space looks so real, and the lighting is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Yes, like the lighting and the cages.

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Started working on the lights of the control room. In 1:35 scale one an actually model the lamps close to the original, i.e. with base and cage for the bulb. I made 3D models of the base and the cage and printed a bunch of them. The wires of a warm-white micro LED is routed through the central hole in the base, and then the cage is glued onto the base. We have a lamp. Three of them went onto the pressure hull wall and I have to admit, that I'm rather pleaed wth the result....

Name:	XXIII-139.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	157337

Name:	XXIII-140.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	157338Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-141.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	157339

Name:	XXIII-142.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	157340

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Adding bits and pieces to the control room. Ventialtion ducts, the steering column for the rudder, rpm meter, machine telegraph.....

Name:	XXIII-136.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	157178

Name:	XXIII-137.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	157179

Name:	XXIII-138.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	157180

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    I once did a 1:72 scale Type II with interior. That was my start into scratch builing subs ith interior and layed tha foundation for the Type XXIII project:

As this first try was a bit coarse as I didn't have the skills, patience or my own 3D printer. So I'm up for a new, improved version. I bought the Special Navy 1:72 Vessikko kit and will get this done. Big advantage....tons of good phptos around. Muh easier than the XXIII. But let's alk about that in 1-2 years

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    Andreas - between this Type XXIII and the Type VII you completed before this one, I'm wondering what your next detailed model like this will be?

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    The research and your creation of the highly detailed 3D models was already impressive. Seeing that hard work now being transformed into actual components for this build as well as the quality of your finish work is absolutely impressive and a pleasure to be able to see. Thank you for sharing your awesome work!

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Thanks, I try my very best. Now that the firsts section starts to take shape my motivation gose up in parallel...thrilling to see things becoming real after over almost 2 years of research and design....

Cheers Andreas

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Amazing work. I always look forward to seeing your build progress updates. Looking forward to seeing more!

Nick

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    continue to be amazed by your work on this boat. fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Continued with the curtain for the radio cabin. Found it as 3d file in the net, adjusted it to my demnds and printed it. The cirtain rail is made of 0,6 mm diameter brass and the curtain hooks out of 0,2 mm diameter copper wire. Attached it to the cabin that also got ist skirting baord made of styrene L-profiles....

Name:	XXIII-135.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	157084

Name:	XXIII-134.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	157085

Name:	XXIII-133.jpg