Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Geeeezzz, no pressure then! I'm just plugging along here guys. I hope the reality of this thing intersects somewhere along the line of expectation. Those props look great David. They make all the diference in the world - between a realistic looking sub and a pool toy. I'm going to divide the hull into upper and lower sections along the water line so as well as sending some hulls off to you, I'll weigh the top half and let you know the outcome. That's some way down the track; still grappeling with the details.

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by HardRock
      Geeeezzz, no pressure then! I'm just plugging along here guys. I hope the reality of this thing intersects somewhere along the line of expectation. Those props look great David. They make all the diference in the world - between a realistic looking sub and a pool toy. I'm going to divide the hull into upper and lower sections along the water line so as well as sending some hulls off to you, I'll weigh the top half and let you know the outcome. That's some way down the track; still grappeling with the details.
      Right? He said something to me the other day and it was like Yoda from Star Wars saying, "Good luck, we're all counting on you."

Honestly, Scott, this thing will turn out beautifully. Of that there is no doubt. I'm not just buttering you up, either. I've seen the quality of your past projects. You just keep taking your time and doing what you're doing.

Cheers,
      Brady
      Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Break at the waterline. I love it. Just weight the upper half and sail and I'll take it from there. Keep grappling.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Grappling on! Some more work on the sail today. I've moved some of the holes as a result of getting better photographs from Fredrik and Jörg (who are, between them, the best ferrets in the business).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	130890

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I think it's a high frequency 'object (mine) avoidance' sonar.

It was an old practice to physically steer the receiving/transmitting 'beam' using a one or two axis turntable/gimble; the entire array moved. Nowadays the beam is formed mechanically (an armature) or electronically by selecting elements (transducers) of a fixed array for listening and/or transmitting.

David
            Not entirely right. Its the antenna of the Arktika-sonar array used to track active acoustic targets. Uses hor/vert axis.helps creating a torpedo firing solution. 627 ONLY. 627A and the modernized K-3 had it in the GHG-style bow dome below the tubes. Those silver stripes port, starbord of the stern house the minesweeping sonar Plutonij. And the nice big array hardrock just finished is the MG-10 acoustic complex. Mod K-3 and 627A too. K-3 did not have it originally. But Hardrocks model has got to have it.evetything fine, scott!!!
            Jörg
            Last edited by JHapprich; 03-08-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Geeezzzz Jörg, you're giving me a heart attack. When I read "K3 did not have it" I almost fainted. Fortunately I read a bit further.
              A question; did K3 have the sail mounted, flat panel arrays fitted and what on earth is the perferated disc on the forward face of the sail all about?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Nice paddles. Its a shame that they turned out not to be articulated. More work on the details today and some geometry to confirm the water line.

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	130932

Also some work on the sail.

Name:	IMG_1946.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	615.6 KB
ID:	130933

Name:	IMG_1948.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	620.7 KB
ID:	130934

Comment

• JHapprich
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2017

Hey scott! Yes k-3 had the plates on its sail after refit.You can leave them on the model ! Concerning the disc, dont know what its good for.

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. That disc is a weird looking thing.

Name:	09211d02f208963629e06e8b44498cc6 copy.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	130937

Comment

• DMTNT
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2018

Thanks Mate. That disc is a weird looking thing.

Name:	09211d02f208963629e06e8b44498cc6 copy.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	130937
                        Is it just a trick of the eyes or are there actually two of them? Spaced at roughly 11 & 1 o-clock on the sail? I wonder if it / they had to do with the sonar array that is behind that part of the sail? Almost like a window, but of a different design than those on the bow.

Just a thought.

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Nope. There's only one and it's offset to starboard. Jörg or Fredrik might know what it is.

PS. I really like the look on the face of the only guy who is looking at the camera in this image. It's almost like he thinking, "We're actually going to sea in this thing; WTF"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nope. There's only one and it's offset to starboard. Jörg or Fredrik might know what it is.

PS. I really like the look on the face of the only guy who is looking at the camera in this image. It's almost like he thinking, "We're actually going to sea in this thing; WTF"
                            When I was a kid the cover cartoon of a very liberal, artsy-fartsy magazine, The New Yorker, showed a row of birds atop a roof, all pointed the same way. Except one. I guess it was a statement of non-conformity.

That's what I got out of that shot of all the guys on deck. No doubt that mob was suffering through a lot of speech-making and formality. And that one guy had enough of it. That look of, 'I'm freezing my nuts off here!'. He can't wait to get below deck.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

8:10

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                                Commander
                                • Jun 2018

Cyka Blyat!

Comment

Working...