Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Time to re-measure everything. The compass never lies and the first thing that I found was a large bump on the nose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	130593

Next came a misaligned stern walkway;

Name:	IMG_1900.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	130594

Everything else lined up reasonably well.

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	130595

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	130596

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

And the lower bow.

Name:	IMG_1901.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	130598

Comment

• JHapprich
        Captain
        • Oct 2017

Yap, now she looks right.beautiful work, scott!

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Not bad for a drain pipe, is it?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

You have so matured as a pattern-maker, Scott. I don't throw that title around frivolously, sir!

And you taught me a new trick -- using a compass to identify non-symmetrical points along the hull. I'll file that trick away for future reference. Your work to straighten up the flat of the deck is worthy of praise as well.

Now, you may be planning to do this, but: The tape you are using to identify the flood-drain and limber holes, as is, will produce a positive on the laid-up part. However, if you give the model a few coats of primer and then remove the tape you'll have negative impressions to follow as the end-user cuts out these openings.

And I love how you engineered the horizontal stabilizers so they will key in positively to the stern. I assume you will make the rubber tool so you can encapsulate the stern tubes within the cast resin stabilizer parts?

Good work. You're turning into a real threat, my friend!

And Jorg: thank you so much for your valuable contributions to this project.

And now, an observation: How many sites have threads where a collaborative/team/group effort ACTUALLY RESULTED IN A COMPLETED R/C SUBMARINE PROJECT????? None in the English speaking world I know of other than this one. See! we can herd cats! I Blame Bob Martin for this state of affairs.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. I'm getting the tape on now before I slather the plug in primer so that later on, as you say, removing the tape will leave indents in the right places. I'm going to etch some brass to get the some of the more complex hatche coverss and do-dads just right and inlay them into the recesses. This is how the deck plan is shaping up;

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	130616

Its almost entirely done from the photographs that all of you guys have supplied. The existing plans that I have for this bit are crap so this is going to be an approximation.

The rear stabilisers are causing me some concern at the moment. Originaly I made a Renshape master and cast that in polyurethane; I planned to modify two of those as left and right side items and then use those as patterns for the final bits. The problem is that the original stern tubes were made of plastic (because I couldn't get any brass of the right diameter) and the sanding and filling process has taken them out of round. They look a bit skew whif. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just choping the tubes out and putting new ones in before the final casting. Fiddly but probably worth the effort.

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

Is it just me or are those bow planes one piece? That is the impression I have always gotten from photos.
                Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Sadly, I think that you are right.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
                    Is it just me or are those bow planes one piece? That is the impression I have always gotten from photos.
                    I'm looking for that one aerial shot looking down on a sinking NOVEMBER that had the bow planes rigged out -- that would tell the tale. Anyone got that? I can't find it anywhere.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
                      Stupid me, David, just had an idea.have got some good shots of the ill-fated K-8 on fire .she has the bow planes out, ill see if i might enhance the details....
                      That's the one! Gimmi-gimmi-gimmi!!!!!……...
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'm looking for that one aerial shot looking down on a sinking NOVEMBER that had the bow planes rigged out -- that would tell the tale. Anyone got that? I can't find it anywhere.

David
                        This one?

Name:	97D52C48-88CE-4E85-B2E2-A3FE3AA1915A.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	130627

Comment

• JHapprich
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2017

Yap.some sort of trim flap.doesnt look like a real becker.considering k8 had a modified sail, maybe those bow planes were extras,too. Id make them one piece
                          Jörg. Ps planes are out, flaps are closed, she did an emergency surfacing....man i am blind...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

This one?

Name:	97D52C48-88CE-4E85-B2E2-A3FE3AA1915A.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	130627
                            That's the one! Good catch, Brady. Damn! planes don't look to be articulated in camber. Too bad. Anyway, makes my job easier.

Got your 212 fittings boxed up and going out Monday.

I'm loving all the detail work Scott's putting into the hull. Now that he's refined his lay-up skills -- as magnificently demonstrated on the BALUGA and ALBACORE hulls he sent me -- it will all be captured by the GRP parts without suffering pock-marks and voids like what was happening on his earlier efforts. For an old fart Scott is learning new tricks fast.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                              Commander
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

That's the one! Good catch, Brady. Damn! planes don't look to be articulated in camber. Too bad. Anyway, makes my job easier.

Got your 212 fittings boxed up and going out Monday.

I'm loving all the detail work Scott's putting into the hull. Now that he's refined his lay-up skills -- as magnificently demonstrated on the BALUGA and ALBACORE hulls he sent me -- it will all be captured by the GRP parts without suffering pock-marks and voids like what was happening on his earlier efforts. For an old fart Scott is learning new tricks fast.

David
                              I for one, cannot wait to see this one pan out. I was drooling over that Beluga earlier today, and the Albacore - as I held it in my own two hands - was gorgeous.

And copy that on the 212 bits. Thank you again!

Comment

• JHapprich
                                Captain
                                • Oct 2017

Took a closer look on K8 and i now believe the bow planes to be of one piece only, no trim flap etc. i think the line one can see is simply an accumulation of drain holes as the planes are hollow parts. Click image for larger version

Name:	K8invert.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	130639Click image for larger version

Name:	0_16fa05_99113152_XL.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	130638
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...