1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

scott, any updates?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Hi Mate. Plenty of work going on but great dificulty in posting photographs. We have a thing here called the National Broadband Network which, had it been implemented as planned, would have been excellent. Instead of that the current govenrment decided to implement a "cheaper" version which is less functional - or in my case, not functional at all AND which seesm to have ended up costing more money than the original plan would have. The bottom line is that I now have an internet speed that would have looked puny in the days of dial up modems. They tell me that they will get it fixed - eventually.

I have started making the moulds for the Albacore. The lower one is finished and the upper should be finished this week. I also discoverd that a company here makes gelcoat that is formulated to work with West System epoxy so I have ordered some of that as well. Once it gets here I'm going to start practicing on the old Beluga moulds to try to improve my abysmal lay up skills.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
        Hi Mate. Plenty of work going on but great dificulty in posting photographs. We have a thing here called the National Broadband Network which, had it been implemented as planned, would have been excellent. Instead of that the current govenrment decided to implement a "cheaper" version which is less functional - or in my case, not functional at all AND which seesm to have ended up costing more money than the original plan would have. The bottom line is that I now have an internet speed that would have looked puny in the days of dial up modems. They tell me that they will get it fixed - eventually.

I have started making the moulds for the Albacore. The lower one is finished and the upper should be finished this week. I also discoverd that a company here makes gelcoat that is formulated to work with West System epoxy so I have ordered some of that as well. Once it gets here I'm going to start practicing on the old Beluga moulds to try to improve my abysmal lay up skills.
        You're already a force to be reckoned with, Scott. Tighten up the glass skills and you will (like me) be, ALL POWERFUL!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

"You're already a force to be reckoned with, Scott. Tighten up the glass skills and you will (like me) be, ALL POWERFUL!

David"

You'll think that this is pretty funny, but there was an actual clap of thunder outside when I read this. Yikes - he's everywhere, he's everywhere!!!!!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

That is funny! I laughed when I read this just imagining the situation.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Here you go Tom. Brought to you at the speed of a racing snail; The upper and lower mould.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010357.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	127425

Name:	P1010356.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	127426

They will sit for a few days before I open them up for a look.

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Ive previously been picked up for saying the Albacore is a boring subject, Skip Asay didn't like my comment one bit:0

This completely changes my mind , the shape of this hull, and with the scribed details it looks fantastic, well done sir.

On the subject of snails and speed, a tortoise was recently attached a robbed by a Snail gang. The police brought the tortoise in and asked him to look at mugshots. Sorry says the tortoise i don't recognise any of them, it all happened so fast

Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Wait till you see it with David's sail sitting on top!! - (and the hatches, periscopes and do-dads).

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Progress. The moulds are done. Just waiting on the gelcoat to arrive.

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	127437

The detail looks to be OK.

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	127438

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

The gel coat is STILL "on the way". Its coming from Queensland, (by yak train, I'm guessing) and its taking ages to get here. Meanwhile I banged a polyester hull out of the moulds to see how it looks.
                      This is it with the cast tail cone in place to check the angles.

Name:	P1010359.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	127544

And this is the bottom half.

Name:	P1010361.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	127545

The moulds have some flaws in that there are air bubbles below the surface that translate into lumps on the surface of the moulded parts. This is the fix

Name:	P1010363.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	127546

The idea is to inject the silicone, squeeze out any air, tape over the hole and let it go off. Seems to work OK.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Looks good, Scott. I'm boxing up all the ALBACORE work from this end and will put it upstairs. Florence will likely flood out the first floor this weekend. Stay tuned.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Good luck Mate. I hope you are all OK.

Comment

• Aug 2008

We dodged a bullet this week. The hurricane heading our way suddenly took a sharp left-hand turn and headed south of us.

Hurricane Florence can kiss my fat, diabetic, pimple encrusted ass! But, as I post this the good people of the Carolina's are going through hell -- some are dying and many have lost their homes. I trust our currant government administration to insure that everything that can be done for these folk is done!

Anyway …

God damned Scott hit us with those fantastic shots of his first 1/96 ALBACORE hull pull. Show-off!

Time I kicked in a bit too on this project -- keep up my end of the deal. Refining the fillets and finish of the two propeller masters was today's work:

David
                            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Oh Lordy those props look good. Way more pitch on the newer one? I've revised my original plan to go with the shorter, contra rotating version in favour of the larger, 10' foot version. Its looks so radical that I just can't resist it. I also found a place that sells 1mm square ceramic files. Here: http://www.ottofrei.com/Ceramic-Fibe...llar-1mm-x-1mm Looks like I'll be able to file out those little drain holes after all, which is lucky because nothing else worked. Incidently the same crowd used tio make a 1 x 1 mm steel needle file that sold for $67.00 a pop. Strangely they have discontinued it!

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                We dodged a bullet this week. The hurricane heading our way suddenly took a sharp left-hand turn and headed south of us.

Hurricane Florence can kiss my fat, diabetic, pimple encrusted ass!

David
                                That's what probably deflected the storm! Lol!

good to hear you and Ellie are safe.

we over here in the Philippines are riding out our own super typhoon.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...