Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Ken, can you show where you placed the weight?
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Sure. I placed a piece of blue tape on the exhaust housing. That is the center of the boat fore and aft. Since I have weight in the bow due to all the hardware for the torpedo doors, I first added the two 4 once weights to the left in the picture. At this point the boat is balanced on a small piece of wood at the fore & aft center. I then added the two larger weights forward and balanced against those with the 4 weights to the left under the sub driver. The boat is now balanced assembled on the fore and aft center. I left a space between the foremost and aftmost weights for water to drain when it needs to. Nothing to show yet on the flotation. The wire mess you see is for underwater LED's.

David's The Joys of Trimming out a Wet-Hull type R/C Submarine document

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3690.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	153451

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3691.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	153450

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3692.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	153449
      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-16-2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

I think I should have done the submerged trimming first. But I didn't.

I have about 2 pounds of lead in the boat so that the center of the SD is the balance point. I have foam situated so the boat is floating at the surfaced waterline.

For submerged trim I rubber banded foam to the aft deck and have the boat level but it's deck awash and waterline at the base of the sail. What should I do to get it lower?

I'd check in Bob's book but Amazon is screwing me on delivery.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
          I think I should have done the submerged trimming first. But I didn't.

I have about 2 pounds of lead in the boat so that the center of the SD is the balance point. I have foam situated so the boat is floating at the surfaced waterline.

For submerged trim I rubber banded foam to the aft deck and have the boat level but it's deck awash and waterline at the base of the sail. What should I do to get it lower?

I'd check in Bob's book but Amazon is screwing me on delivery.
          You ****ed up.

Submerged trim first -- ballast tank fully flooded. That way you have firmly established the amount of fixed lead weight AND amount of buoyant foam to make the boat neutrally buoyant and statically stable about the roll and pitch axis. After that, to establish the designed waterline, all you have to do is empty the ballast tank and move the foam vertically -- above or below the designed waterline -- till the boat floats at the correct surfaced waterline.

Just the vertical position (above an/or below the designed waterline) of the foam is changed between the two conditions of trim.

You people!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Cra*p, f***, dam....it

Anyway. Start over?????

Comment

• Aug 2008

Cra*p, f***, dam....it

Anyway. Start over?????
              Remember this, always: You are here to be punished!

David
              Chief Inquisitor
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

I'm notorious for not reading directions. Aren't most guys? My girlfriend always chides me for not reading the directions. Maybe I should start.

In the case of the Marlin, probably didn't do it right from the start, but I got it. The second time with the SJ, didn't do it right, but I'll get there. Hopefully when I get to the XXIII I do it right from the start.

David is always right! Listen to David! Read and understand the procedures that David wrote! Do not deviate from David's directions! Do not do anything to be punished by David!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm notorious for not reading directions. Aren't most guys? My girlfriend always chides me for not reading the directions. Maybe I should start.

In the case of the Marlin, probably didn't do it right from the start, but I got it. The second time with the SJ, didn't do it right, but I'll get there. Hopefully when I get to the XXIII I do it right from the start.

David is always right! Listen to David! Read and understand the procedures that David wrote! Do not deviate from David's directions! Do not do anything to be punished by David!
                  (my work here is done)
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Ken,

Don't feel bad! I have been in David's sites many times as well! It's all a learning process for sure, but we have a great teacher to learn from!!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Boat is submerged with 1" of the sail above the water. And level.

If I blow the tank surfacing the boat leaving the foam exactly where it is in the picture, same place as submerged. The boat is slightly down at the bow and slightly up at the stern. What should I do to get both ends at the waterline? I did not move the foam vertically, didn't have to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3715.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	153611

Comment

• Aug 2008

Boat is submerged with 1" of the sail above the water. And level.

If I blow the tank surfacing the boat leaving the foam exactly where it is in the picture, same place as submerged. The boat is slightly down at the bow and slightly up at the stern. What should I do to get both ends at the waterline? I did not move the foam vertically, didn't have to.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3715.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	153611
                          Move the after pieces of foam up above the designed waterline and check that the boat assumes the correct waterline with the ballast tank empty. If need be, cut off portions of the next-in-line set of foam blocks and mount them above the designed waterline. Keep doing this till the boat assumes proper trim when on the surface.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

Did as you said. As the boat submerges it goes down bow heavy then levels out. As it surfaces, it comes up bow heavy then settles with the bow slightly down and aft end slightly high above the WL. You can see the engraved WL in the pictures. Seems like it's unbalanced, the bow needs to rise as much as the stern needs submerge.

I played around with different combinations, couldn't get it right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3716.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	153651

Name:	IMG_3717.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	153652

Name:	IMG_3718.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	153653

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Experimenting.

I added a very small weight at the aft end and added a small block of foam under the bow. Now the boat submerges and surfaces level. But in this configuration the submerged WL is below the sail planes.

Yes i know the weights go low.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3720.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	39.0 KB ID:	153656

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3719.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	153657
                              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-19-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

At the center of gravity remove a small hunk of buoyant foam from above the models surfaced waterline. This will not change surfaced trim, but will bring the submerged trim down a bit more than what you have now. Keep removing chunks of foam till you have about an inch of sail sticking into the air in submerged trim.

Almost there, Ken!

David
                                Task Master extraordinaire
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...