X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

One week to Groton. Ugh.

Water testing the SD. I saw water leaking in someplace on the aft bulkhead. I taped paper towels around where it could be. Immersed it again and saw water saturate at one of the inlets. Also saw water going into the hose. The seal around the brass tube is leaking. The water seeping into the tube, maybe my plug is not sealed good enough. The water coming in around the tube can be sealed and fixed. If the plug is good then how is water getting in? Can the brass tube be compromised and causing both?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3656.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	153049

Name:	IMG_3657.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	153048

Name:	IMG_3659.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	153047

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Yeah, sounds like the brass tube that forms the pass-through (its the discharge side of the pump) is split or something -- only that would account for water getting around it and into it as well.

Replace it. It's secured with CA. As CA is very weak to shock-loads simply grab the wet-end side with pliers and quickly rotate. That will break the CA bond. Replace the tube and re-test.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

Got that taken care of.

Now I have water in the line going to the pump. But no water in the line from the manifold. Any idea about this?

Name:	IMG_3661.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	153074

Name:	IMG_3660.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	153073

Comment

• Aug 2008

You either forgot to make up the induction line from the snorkel -- in which case the pump takes a suction from the interior, then sea. Or, your snorkel is leaking, or a portion of the induction plumbing between SD and snorkel has a leak.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

I reseated all the lines. No leaks like I was getting. But there's some condensation appearing near the bulkhead.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
              I reseated all the lines. No leaks like I was getting. But there's some condensation appearing near the bulkhead.
              That's likely from the moisture coming off the safety float-valve suction-nipple when water gets into that unit. Normal. No sweat. All is good. Boy!... you are one pain in the ass!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Don't have these problems with my surface boats. Maybe I should stick with them.

But no. I know you like ribbing me.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't have these problems with my surface boats. Maybe I should stick with them.

But no. I know you like ribbing me.
                  ...it's what I live for.

David
                  The Horrible
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

No more leaks. No condensation. Everything appears to be working except not able to drain the ballast tank. I tried switching the tubing at the manifold, no change. Pump seems to be working OK. Ideas?

Name:	IMG_3677.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	153202

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Anyone have an idea what I can try to get the pump working? Maybe a bad pump? See my previous post.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Anyone have an idea what I can try to get the pump working? Maybe a bad pump? See my previous post.
                        The external 'discharge' hose leading to the top of the ballast tank. Is it discharging air or sucking air? You may have a simple reversal of the plumbing here. I assume the LPB motor is running?

Call me: 757 418 0779 ASAP. I leave for Groton in a few hours.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

For those with a Skipjack. About how much weight did you add? I'm working on trimming the boat this week.

BTW, David helped correct the problem with the ballast tank not emptying. A rubber plug was lodged in the manifold going into the ballast tank. That plug was used to position the manifold on the SD.
                          Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• wlambing
                            Commander
                            • Nov 2020

I would suggest using 1 lb as a starting point. To keep her upright when she goes into the water. I've installed that amount in my Sculpin , but am not anywhere near close to trimming her out. I did the same in my XXIII and she got a decent rough trim in at Subase this past weekend.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                              I would suggest using 1 lb as a starting point. To keep her upright when she goes into the water. I've installed that amount in my Sculpin , but am not anywhere near close to trimming her out. I did the same in my XXIII and she got a decent rough trim in at Subase this past weekend.
                              More like two-pounds. That big screw imparts a significant torque when you go high-throttle on this boat.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2014

I have just over 2 pounds in now. Carving up the foam today!

Comment

Working...