Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Isn't the Marlin a 2.5" SD? Would that fit in the XXIII?
    Yes! Never mind my last post. I'm an idiot!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

No you're not. We all just may have an age memory deficiency of some sort.

Would I need some sort of accessory package? Something with linkages, prop etc? I have not opened the Bronco box yet.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No you're not. We all just may have an age memory deficiency of some sort.

Would I need some sort of accessory package? Something with linkages, prop etc? I have not opened the Bronco box yet.
        You're to kind, sir.

I've turned over my fittings kit tooling over to Bob. He should be selling those fittings kits in the near future. Contact him and build a fire.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

OK David, will contact Bob.

Taking stock of my electronic devices, again. Here is what I have. Think I good but let me know if I’m missing anything. I’ll be using the same 75mhz transmitter from the Marlin.

AD2
          Bat& Link monitor
          BEC
          Viper Marine 25
          Keyfob remote on-off

I don’t have the Depth Cruiser. That looks like something I should add. Maybe add it to the Marlin/XXIII sub driver.

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK David, will contact Bob.

Taking stock of my electronic devices, again. Here is what I have. Think I good but let me know if I’m missing anything. I’ll be using the same 75mhz transmitter from the Marlin.

AD2
            Bat& Link monitor
            BEC
            Viper Marine 25
            Keyfob remote on-off

I don’t have the Depth Cruiser. That looks like something I should add. Maybe add it to the Marlin/XXIII sub driver.
            15 Ampere slow-blow fuse between ESC and battery; and waterproofed business card with your name, address, and e-mail in the battery space.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

and waterproofed business card with your name, address, and e-mail in the battery space.
              LOL just in case I lose something again like the Marlin.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

What about the Depth Cruiser? Must have?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I am not sure it is a necessary, a leveler yes, but I bet it will make it sweeter ride!
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You've already given up a nut by using an angle keeper. Keep your remaining ball and just drive the damned thing like a real man... or are you going to be a eunuch and install the depth-keeper? You Woos!

You gonna drive that beast or are you gonna just be an interested spectator?

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Figured if the SJ is going to be a hot rod underwater, why not let it go crazy at a set depth. Could be a sweet ride like Tom said.

LOL and maybe less of a chance playing lost and found.

Giving myself this month only working on the SJ, get myself excited for getting it done so I'm not a spectator.

BTW it's fun just to say something to get such an awesome colorful answer! Love it!
                      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 01-08-2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• secrtwpn
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Feb 2012

How about a diagram/photos on how to wire up the remote key fob switch?????????

Thx,
                        Farlan

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Will do Farlan, when I get to that point I will.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

I'm working on setting up the electronics on the electronics tray. I like to keep everything neat and clean. I don't like y-cables which I determined I need two of them. Y-cables introduce a lot of sloppy appearance trying to coil up the extra cable. Since I can make PCB's here is how I eliminate the y-cables. Basically I make a PCB with three headers on it. Three servo cable ends plug into the PCB which you can see eliminates all those extra cables. Here is a picture of one of the PCB's in my Marlin which has been in use for about 8-9 years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A_IMG_2632.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	146675

Normally I make the PCB traces in a free electronics program on the computer. I previously used PCBExpress (Windows). I print on a B&W laser printer but my printer stopped working so I have to do it the following way. I don't like this method, it's sloppy looking, and not to my standards. I'll soon get a replacement laser printer. For now.... I laid a grid on a copper PCB sheet with 1/10" spacing. That is the same spacing on the servo connectors. I then used a Sharpie to cover the three points where the header will mount to. I made sure the marker was on the heavy side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B_IMG_2622.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	146674

Ferric Chloride is used to etch the PCB. I still have some from Radio Shack but you can buy it online in mostly powder form. The etching process works best when the FC is warm so I heat it in a beaker on my coffee hot plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C_IMG_2624.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	146673

The FC is poured into a plastic tray. DO NOT use any metal, it will start to etch. Drop the PCB into the solution and wait. Besides warm FC, agitation helps, so I grabbed the white spill tray and slightly slide it back an forth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D_IMG_2623.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	146677

When all of the copper is etched away it looks like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E_IMG_2627.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	146676

I used acetone to wipe away the marker. You can see the blotchyness of some of the copper. That's due to the marker not covering the copper fully. Use an ohm meter to check for continuity from the end of each trace. If there are any opens they will usually be corrected with solder later on. Also check for shorts between each trace. Use and exacto knife to remove any shorts. I already started drilling .030 holes for the headers. Again, this looks sloppy to me but it will be functional.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F_IMG_2628.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	146679

This is the reverse side. I used a round file to clean out the holes and sanded this side of the board to remove any burrs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	H_IMG_2629.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	146678

This is how a PCB should look, unlike above. This was done on PCBExpress and with a B&W laserprinter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	G_IMG_2626.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	146680

I'm only doing two for now, so I cut some off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	J_IMG_2633.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	146681

The headers were on a longer length so I cut them off to three to a section. I made sure the pins are not too long or short by inserting them into the connector. The pins can be slid in and out with pliers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	K_IMG_2635.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	146683

The final product. At this point check continuity between each pin in each row. Also make sure there are no shorts between rows. If you have an open pin in one row, you should be able to bridge the pins with solder to eliminate the open.

Click image for larger version  Name:	L_IMG_2638.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	146682

Solder side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	M_IMG_2639.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	146684

The traces are ground, 5 volts and signal. When you plug in the servo connector you need to be sure the connector goes on 90 degrees to the solder traces! Otherwise stuff will not work!

Click image for larger version  Name:	N_IMG_2639.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	146685

This is not rocket science. Anyone should be able to do this. For the Ferric Chloride, it will stain your hands so be careful there. And it will eat away at metal tools. Use plastic tweezers when picking PCB's out of the FC tray. Hope you get something out of this. I'm guessing this might be easier than doing 3D printing, just saying. I haven't done 3D printing yet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ken_NJ; 01-14-2021, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Thank you Ken! You make it look simple. That is a super cool solution to a Y cable.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Just use veroboard.

Comment

Working...