Moebius Skipjack

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    A quick overview of BECs (Battery Eliminator Circuits) and why it's a good idea to use them in place of integrated BECs. Thanks for watching!Bob Martinthe RC...

this video outlines what a BEC is and why a lot of people like them versus using the built-in BEC in many speed controllers.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied

New diagram/layout....
    Click image for larger version Name:	Skipjack diagram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	146954[/QUOTE]

Ken, I'm missing something. I see you have a BEC from the battery going into the receiver for power. Don't all modern ESC's have a built in BEC? I just plug my ESC into channel 3 on my targets receiver. Is this just extra protection or a power issue? Forgive my ignorance.
    Casey
    Last edited by Das Boot; 05-17-2021, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Plenty of waterproof ESC's with 3amp output. Brushed and brushless.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Oh pleeze! I have heard this from Mtroniks many times-Every body drinks the Kool-aid I don't know why anyone talks so highly of Mtroniks! All the other (cheap) ESCs can tolerate a noisey BEC!

It would be cheaper to buy a new ESC!!

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Email from Paul at Mtroniks...

It sounds like the BEC you are trying to use is a switching BEC? These are very noisy electrically and could be causing a lot of interference with the control signals to the motors. Evidence for this is that the system works ok when running on batteries.

We would recommend you use the following, one on each speed controller. These opto-isolators cut all noise and leave a crisp signal for the speed controllers.

https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Accessories/ZGM.htm
    In a quick search did not find that ZGM anywhere in the US. Cost with shipping from overseas is about $55. Not worth it. I'll keep looking for one here. In the meantime will look at what I have on hand for an ESC to try out and look for something other than the Mtroniks brand. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 05-13-2021, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I'll have to check the the spare parts box. I probably do.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    In the mean time.. do you have a spare brushed ESC-like a $15 hobby king 45amp crawler unit..to try and see if its an Mtroniks problem or something else?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Wow Ken -10 pounds! you're gonna need more foam.. seriously it's a Scientific Wild Ars Guess...The engineers at Beechcraft used to call it an LDE..(last ditch effort)...Its worth a try...

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Gotcha. This is the device they were talking about at the end of the RCG thread... https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Accessories/ZGM.htm

Hope I get an email from Mtroniks tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Ken I think its a light based transfer of information that has no electrical connection between the two components. Not unlike the optical kill system for magneto powered RC boats and aircraft. It keeps the very high voltage from the electronics.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Found the RCG thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Tronics-issues

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Yup, all grounds secured together. And yes Mtroniks. Not up on OI's use. Looks like a diode of sorts? On Digikey the look like 8 pin IC's. Sent an email off to Mtroniks as well.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 05-11-2021, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    I'll bet that you're running an Mtroniks ESC..a year back Capt CB on RCG chased a glitch on a twin...finally as suggestion from Mtroniks he installed an optical isolator and that finally cured the problem ..some might even come from the factory with an OI installed now-they can be very finicky with regard to feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Do you have all the grounds(regardless) of voltages connected together?

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Yes I did Bob. And have the end shrink wrapped.

Leave a comment:

Working...