Name:	Transfer 211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	64232Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 212.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	64233
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

VICTORY!!! The middle one posed the problem. After anchoring it with tape to keep it in alignment I started in the middle and worked myself out and around.Pressing the wrinkles down with my fingers and burnishing the surface with the end of a small artist paint brush. It came out well. You can see a space in the neck of the right side bird. Ill get some white paint on the tip of a fine tipped paint brush and touch it up. It could have been a disaster but it all worked out. Before I can put the decals on the sail the next thing will be to install the window frames on the sail.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 213.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	64234
      Last edited by greenman407; 09-24-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Well done on the dry-transfer application, Marc!

Now, here's the clear coat I want you to get:

DuPont Chroma-Clear and it's hardener. And a small can of 'flattening agent'. Ain't cheap, but then again neither is that kit you're going to protect it with!

You'll find an automotive refinishing supply house in your area for this stuff -- won't find it at a hobby or box-store.

Or, you can go to a body shop, sweet-talk the Manager a bitt, and have them shoot the model right there with some flattened clear-coat ready-mix. Most of those guys are ex-Con's and/or pot-heads, but they love big-boy toys; you'll win them over by showing off your work ... and before you know it they'll be eating out of your hands.

Mist-coats first so you don't melt the dry-transfers.

Trust me, I've been to this rodeo a few times!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Now your last idea is interesting, have a body shop do it. There is a real good one right down the road. Ill stop and ask. Is there any possibility that the Dupont stuff could melt these foriegn dry transfers? Thats what Vladamar was worried about.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've not had any chemical burning or distortion of dry-transfers using either the DuPont Chrom-Color, Chroma-Clear, or Lucite systems. But there are different dry-transfer chemistries out there, so I can't attest to the compatability of Vlad's dry-transfers to the above film systems.

Test. You have unused dry-transfers on that sheet of his, I'm sure. Stick them to a discarded model part and blast away to check for compatability.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I dont want to incure the wrath of the Wizard but I checked with Master Colision down the road and he said that he would be afraid to do it because of the fact that The black and the red are Krylon and that an automotive paint like Dupont(hot) would melt down my paint job. Also I told him that orange peel would be unacceptable. He said a flat surface you can put it on real wet for a no orange peel finish but a rounded surface he could not guarantee it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Mark,

(finally learned how to spell your first name)

I applaud the re-finishing guy's caution here. We don't want to take up his time unnecessarily but .... suggest to him putting down mist coats first to build a barrier between the very wet final coat and the Krylon and dry-transfers. Also, we want him to use the touch-up gun for this work, not the big gun used for most collision work.

Here's a thought: put your Krylon's down on a hull you don't care about. And put some of Vlad's unused dry-transfers on it too -- we want a complete compatibility test. Take it to the collision guys and have them shoot a wet flattened clear-coat on that and see what happens.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Ok Dave, Ill make those sugestions to him and see what he says. Seems like sound reasoning. Or I could drive it up to Virginia to the Wizards house and let him do it. Your kind of slack these days arn't you Dave? HA HA

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Talked to the body shop today and he definitely doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Here is a picture of one of the Oscars with its coat of arms applied, its a little smaller and mounted a little lower than the one on the Kursk..Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar_03.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	64567
                      Last edited by greenman407; 09-30-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Shame they stuck it that low down - only see it in drydock views.
                        I guess however if you could readily see it in surfaced running, it being individual art, would be like taking out an ad for Nato as to the exact boat. A nice detail nonetheless.
                        J
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Shame they stuck it that low down - only see it in drydock views.
                          I guess however if you could readily see it in surfaced running, it being individual art, would be like taking out an ad for Nato as to the exact boat. A nice detail nonetheless.
                          J
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

This is a shot from Scaleships. Note how they blacked out the roundell where the front crest on the bow goes. I dont know if that is scale or what , the drawings dont indicate. Its too late anyway, and that thin white line indicating the waterline is too much of a pain for me to attempt. Ive got bigger fish to fry..Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash drive 2 207.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	64595
                            Last edited by greenman407; 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• KevinMc
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

Looks to me as though Vladimir's put his crest on too low, and by the photo I've got it ought to be gold not white. (But the black paint inside the crest appears correct though.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	6_949_141i01.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	64596

Someday I'll get my OSCAR far enough along to warrant putting these details on... I'm also curious to know how he got the red and gold on the crest that goes on the front of the sail.
                              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                              KMc Designs

Comment

• Slats
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                                Here is a picture of one of the Oscars with its coat of arms applied, its a little smaller and mounted a little lower than the one on the Kursk..[ATTACH=CONFIG]10007[/ATTACH]
                                I am wondering why shown in this photo in the extreme right of the photo (port side of the boat) there seems to be a gap in the hull? Looks like part of the outer hull at that point has been cut open or is this an optical illusion?
                                Thanks

J
                                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...