A Skipjack in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

[QUOTE=The Boattrainman;n113745]I'm only going to use one KlikOn magnet, it will be on the linkage to the sail planes, not sure which end of the linkage yet, but I want a quick break as the clevis linkages are hard to open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n113746[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n113747[/ATTACH]

However, I want security, so this has been achieved with a small washer, soldered to a short brass wire, plus two very small split pins which have been pushed through holes in the plastic housing and glued in place and the ends opened and spread around the housing. The brass wire is pushed through the two holes in the split pins and soldered, all brass parts that won't rot in water and very strong, but will pull off.[/QUOTE

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
      Commander
      • Mar 2016

Just a quick question.

What is the headroom between the top of the Subdriver and the subs hull at the point where the sail plane yoke mechanism comes through the hull?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563 (800x600).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	113786

I made a mock up, and I'm getting approx 3/4 of an inch, I know the headroom decreases as you move aft, till it's quite tight at the end of the Subdriver.

Rob
      Last edited by The Boattrainman; 04-17-2016, 02:56 PM.
      ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• The Boattrainman
        Commander
        • Mar 2016

I've decided the 'break' point for the linkage to the sail plane mechanism will be at the rear of the sub, where the screw holding both halves together is located. I'm going to fabricate a mechanical linkage here and I'll use the KlikOn at this location.

So I've made a 'throw' extender for the sail plane yoke as I won't e using the KikOn here, instead a clevis will suffice, plus given there is a bit of room (see above), there's now no need for the long cut in the upper hull to take the plastic magnet holder.

Name:	IMG_0564 (800x600).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	113816 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565 (800x600).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	113817

The shape of the yoke was transferred to a piece of 2mm Plasticard and then a projection drawn, and when cut out and sanded gives this shape.

Name:	IMG_0567 (800x600).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	113818 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568 (800x600).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	113819

The extender is drilled for the existing pivot hole in the yoke to take the brass pivot bar ,plus two bolt holes, and then three clevis point attachment holes. Note, the threads for the bolts are in the extender NOT the yoke, the resin is strong but the Plasticard stronger, the brass bolts go through the yoke and screw to the extender.

Name:	IMG_0569 (800x600).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	113820

This is the extender coming out of the sail into the hull, it's 3/4 of inch into the hull but too long and will need to be cut back to fit, but I've include the extra length so I can experiment with the next phase which will be the linkage to the rear of the sub.

The Boattrainman
        Last edited by The Boattrainman; 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Open up the openings to the sail, let that air out!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
            Commander
            • Mar 2016

Whn I have the snorkel and induction fitting, I'll be making that section look like Swiss cheese!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Ahhh, a method to your madness! Excellent, I will sit in my corner and watch :-)
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2016

Nice video, going to be a while before I get to that stage, but very encourging to press on with the work.

The method in my madness is to solve all the engineering challenges one by one, and move on only when that piece of the puzzle is solved. It's a boring method but it ensures you don't get swamped with problems and the 'fun' of the build becomes work.

I've made a point of not ordering the Subdriver until the Revell kit and Caswell fittings are fully sorted, if I had the SD I'd be too excited to work on it and then maybe miss something at this stage of the build. The model world is full of failed projects because the maker got carried away (as per David's previous post), I'm as impatient as the next guy (and usually make errors when rushed), so steady as she goes.............one step at a time.............onwards.....................zzzzZ ZZZZZZ (sorry fell asleep there!).

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

There reason why David said " that's very ungentleman of you sir" was these were on the destroyer's deck
                    Attached Files
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Where in the name of all that's holy, do you FIND these things?

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jul 2012

Great Video M, Looks like you had great weather in Rocky Mount. Sorry I missed it. ​Rob your skipjack is a amazing work in progress! Wish I was up to that level of building but I am enjoying building my skipjack. Sea trails in the next week or 2. the paint now that it is getting warm. should be interesting. looking forward to the rest of your build.

US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Thank you my friend for the nice comments.

I've been away cruising and fishing on the River Shannon for a few days, the build will re-commence during the week.

Happy modelling!

Rob

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Happy fishing!

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                                Commander
                                • Mar 2016

The sail planes get a similar 0.5mm Plasticard washer as per the rudders to keep the planes off the sail and not scratch the paint.

Name:	IMG_0570 (800x600).jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	113896 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571 (800x600).jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	113897

The washer is stuck to the sail and is hard sanded down to just 0.3mm, I don't want too much of a gap as it won't look right. You can get a tight gap by fiddling with the internal grommet screw in the yoke, but this is easier as I can just run the sail plane up to the washer and tighten.

The Boattrainman

Last edited by The Boattrainman; 04-25-2016, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...