Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    I like the idea of your method better! Casting. And using the tools I have. My preferred method being old school. Doing it with my hands. I'm with you!

Not so much leaving it to a computer, sending it to a printer, walking away and it's done. Yes there might be some talent that way but less satisfaction. Better building it with your own two hands.
    Any idiot can push a mouse around and pick things off a menu and go, 'click'. Yikes!

I'll use my hand AND my brain, thank you very much!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I don't have one of these! I've seen you use this elsewhere. It's a must have. Added this to my Christmas list.

If anyone else wants one of these, this is the one I added to my list.
      https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Equally-Isometric-Leathercraft-Auxiliary/dp/B0BNMV854K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WN1DPXR86HOP&keywords=spacing%2Bdi vider&qid=1701718366&sprefix=spacing%2Bdivider%2Ca ps%2C73&sr=8-5&th=1

Also have to get one of those articulating drafting arms.
      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-04-2023, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I don't have one of these! I've seen you use this elsewhere. It's a must have. Added this to my Christmas list.

If anyone else wants one of these, this is the one I added to my list.
        https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Equally-Isometric-Leathercraft-Auxiliary/dp/B0BNMV854K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WN1DPXR86HOP&keywords=spacing%2Bdi vider&qid=1701718366&sprefix=spacing%2Bdivider%2Ca ps%2C73&sr=8-5&th=1

Also have to get one of those articulating drafting arms.
        Look under, 'drafting machine'.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Only problem I have. I'm not using a traditional drafting table. I'm using a teak dining room table. I need a drafting machine with longer arms than what I can see on Amazon. Will keep searching.

Or get a table top used for the purpose. But I have no room for another table.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Only problem I have. I'm not using a traditional drafting table. I'm using a teak dining room table. I need a drafting machine with longer arms than what I can see on Amazon. Will keep searching.

Or get a table top used for the purpose. But I have no room for another table.
            Make room!

How about this, pal?

Amazon.com: Frylr Inch A3 Drawing Board Drafting Table Multifunctional Drawing Board Table with Clear Rule Parallel Motion and Angle Adjustable Measuring System : Home & Kitchen
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Bigger. I'm designing 36-48 inch party boats.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Adjustable-Drafting-Drawing-Tabletop/dp/B07X1PKV6Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=C11TPRILRM05&keywords=drafting%2Bt ables&qid=1701728055&sprefix=drafting%2Btables%2Ca ps%2C71&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d&th=1

And probably one of those sliding straight edges with the pulleys on the corner.

You draw things less than 14 inches?

I just screwed on this subject.
              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-04-2023, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You pain in the ass! You said you didn't have any room!

Stitch three sheets together and you have your party-boat. (Why do I bother with you dopes!?).

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

I don't have room. Something that size is a dream.

I have the vellum. Have a 36 inch t-square but no edge to run the t-square against.

I just want to hear you yell. You can slap me on the head at Groton!

Smile David!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I don't have room. Something that size is a dream.

I have the vellum. Have a 36 inch t-square but no edge to run the t-square against.

I just want to hear you yell. You can slap me on the head at Groton!

Smile David!
                    Get a long piece of extruded aluminum L channel and dress up that edge -- now you can use that T-square. You PITA! Groton. Can't wait.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

OK now, back to the topic at hand................... Lathes.

I'd say stop showing neat things we can add to our toolbox, but that is a good thing to see!!!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

I like the idea of your method better! Casting. And using the tools I have. My preferred method being old school. Doing it with my hands. I'm with you!

Not so much leaving it to a computer, sending it to a printer, walking away and it's done. Yes there might be some talent that way but less satisfaction. Better building it with your own two hands.
                        Disagreed...

Put your money where your mouth is.

You all think it's just that. Try 3D Modeling it first. If you can get past that you have more skills than just your hands. Modeling the subject on 3D software is no easy feat, or y'all would be doing it and not whining. I would say it's on par with you wood whittlers out there.

That's JUST the start there bucko......

NOW choose a printer.

Choose the right material.

Now work out the tolerancing.

Did the supports work out? Is it orientated properly?

Let's discuss infill, shell, layer thickness etc.

Now spend hours to get the first print to stick right.

Now get it to complete.

Now finish the striations...

Yeah, 3D printing is so F#¢%​ing easy. We should just give up and go play with stone hammers to prove our craftsmanship.

Just because you both don't understand it, or choose not to, doesn't make it any less valuable or easier.

It's a friggen tool in an arsenal. Like a hammer. like the lathe, like the exacto. Each with it's own merit.

I do one off's and rapid prototyping, plugs and molds are meaningless to me. But I got it easy, right?

No dude, it's not easy, and it IS just as satisfying if not more so, because I OUTSMARTED HARDWARE and even a few millennials at their own game.

I bet these were the same arguments Dave heard when he went from stone knives to the exacto knife.

It's a personal choice YOU are making, NOT an indication of skill level or satisfaction.

LET IT GO.
                        Last edited by QuarterMaster; 12-04-2023, 07:26 PM.
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Fishb0y
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jul 2023

Got this book off Amazon... It was used and I got a good deal on it.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	176367
                          Last edited by Fishb0y; 12-05-2023, 10:57 AM.
                          Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• SubSteve
                            Lieutenant
                            • Apr 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            You pain in the ass! You said you didn't have any room!

Stitch three sheets together and you have your party-boat. (Why do I bother with you dopes!?).

David
                            Because you find us amusing and we keep you grounded.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

I admit my statement over simplified the entire process involved with 3D printing and it is not easy, especially for those just getting into it. Everything you mentioned, absolutely true about the entire process from learning it to printing the part. And I am not bashing 3D printing, never intend to. YES, it is another tool in our toolbox. I love adding tools to the toolbox! I've taken things David has showed us in his 'today' thread and run with it. Things I have never done before, and now it is in my toolbox, and improving it. He also got me doing scribing with my Marlin even before I joined this forum. Another tool process learned, yeah! Added tooling for my lathe which I am learning to use. Some of these processes take time. You see me building a party boat in the 'Target' section. That boat was designed with paper and pencil from pictures. A lot of things I make are made from my mind, not put on paper. The next party boat I will be using a 2D CAD program (and paper & pencil), which I am learning now, to design the frames. CAD, added to the toolbox. At the same time I installed Fusion 360 so that I can familiarize myself with the program as, I know myself, it will take me a while to be proficient with this program. Sometime in the future, I will be asking on the forum suggestions for a 3D printer. Any printing that I do will be for small size parts, no plans to print an entire boat from stl files. Start small and work your way up to bigger things? I can foresee parts for my party boats that can be 3D printed. I'd say I am rather good at scratch building, something that I am very comfortable with. The 3D printing world not so at this time, but more so in the future. I like technology and advancement. I'll get there, slowly, and eventually.

Comment

• SubSteve
                                Lieutenant
                                • Apr 2022

Vis-a-vis the reclining drill press approach, surely you have a chart listing the correct SLA amp-hour rating of battery/tool rest to be used with all common drill press sizes? Also, the whimsical use of French is just to get your blood pumping this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YyehxX.webp
Views:	228
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	176373

Comment

Working...