• JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Beautiful!

Comment

• Albacore 569
      Commander
      • Sep 2020

David? Can you recommend any good straight forward metal lathes that are not too expensive? Like the ones n the photos? Thanks!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albacore 569
        David? Can you recommend any good straight forward metal lathes that are not too expensive? Like the ones n the photos? Thanks!
        I've got three active lathes in the shop these days. But the Taig is my baby. Get this one, Steve! Micro Lathe II Archives - TAIG Tools

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	176277

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	176278
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
          Commander
          • Sep 2020

Thank you boss! You recommend the L1015? (w Motor it looks like).

Have an old Atlas lathe I bought 20 years ago from a junior college metal shop teacher I was taking a class on lathe operating because I thought it would be fun and useful. The teacher used it as a kid when Franklyn Roosevelt was president! It must be 80 plus years old. It scares me to use it now and like to replace with something more useful and smaller and safer. Any out there collect old lathes? I'll sell. Its painted blue and is clean. It is about 36 inches long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JSAUqrI.gif Views:	1 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	176282

Last edited by Albacore 569; 12-03-2023, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yup. The L1015. You don't want power-feed anything. Just the basic assembled machine. Get fancy later once you become-one-with-the-machine. Take it out a few times, buy it drinks, invite it over for the night, only then dress it up with accessories.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Some of us are a little bit too old to learn new tricks, Davy boy
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                Some of us are a little bit too old to learn new tricks, Davy boy
                Indeed we are.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Nothing intrinsically unsafe about an older machine, they work the same as the newer ones. Just don a pair of safety specs to catch any chippings that fly off whilst turning.

Comment

• SSBN659
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

Copied Dave's idea and it worked very well for me.

Name:	Drill Press Lathe.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	176298

Will Rogers
                    SSBN659

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

I went with this one 10 years ago. Never used it until recently after going on an accessory splurge. Can't do much without the proper tooling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1325 copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	176321
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	176308

Inherited some of these from another model builder.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	176309
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	176313
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	176311

Made a tool tray.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	176310

And another center/chuck & tool holder.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2549.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	176312
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.1 KB ID:	176316

A Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) is a must.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	176314

After hand filing an endcap, got this 4 jaw independent chuck as recommended by David. Didn't use it on the endcap. But I now have it.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	176315

This gauge holder comes in handy for more than holding gauges.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	176318

Bit holders for the QCTP. The more you have, less pain in the a$$ to change the bits.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2554.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	176319

Good for marking up the work.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2555.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	176317
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-04-2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ken,

Excellent collection of measuring tools and quck-change tool holders.

One last thing to add to that managery, that will increase your productivity -- and vital if you're to make rotating holding fixtures for your bulkhead work:

A face-plate. This simple fixture attached to the head-stock of your lathe will rock your world.

David
                        Master of Broken ****

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Added the face plate to my tool list.

Now I need to get into casting. Someday. You emailed me what to use from Alumilite.

Or 3D printing.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                            Added the face plate to my tool list.

Now I need to get into casting. Someday. You emailed me what to use from Alumilite.

Or 3D printing.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

I like the idea of your method better! Casting. And using the tools I have. My preferred method being old school. Doing it with my hands. I'm with you!

Not so much leaving it to a computer, sending it to a printer, walking away and it's done. Yes there might be some talent that way but less satisfaction. Better building it with your own two hands.

Comment

Working...