Methods of incorporating neat and accurate "sea steps" in 1/72 & 1/96 scale models?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

Methods of incorporating neat and accurate "sea steps" in 1/72 & 1/96 scale models?

Getting an accurate depiction of these common features is problematic, at best!! Could some of you more accomplished modelers share your methodologies here in Tips'N Tricks. We great and unwashed masses would much appreciate that! Thank you!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
    Getting an accurate depiction of these common features is problematic, at best!! Could some of you more accomplished modelers share your methodologies here in Tips'N Tricks. We great and unwashed masses would much appreciate that! Thank you!!
    You talk'n about the openings in the sides of the superstructure acting as foot and hand holes?
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubICman
        Lieutenant
        • Jun 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

You talk'n about the openings in the sides of the superstructure acting as foot and hand holes?
        Indeed he is Dave. We have had this conversation several times. My filing game is ok, but I can stand to learn some more.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubICman

Indeed he is Dave. We have had this conversation several times. My filing game is ok, but I can stand to learn some more.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubICman
            Lieutenant
            • Jun 2022

Nice! That's why your the best Dave.

I took a slightly different approach on the Kaiyru tho. Theough my research if found that those ateps were acrually closed on the backside. I 3D modeled them and yes I printed them, then did the same as you demonstrated above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220908_204010.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	166511

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubICman
              Nice! That's why your the best Dave.

I took a slightly different approach on the Kaiyru tho. Theough my research if found that those ateps were acrually closed on the backside. I 3D modeled them and yes I printed them, then did the same as you demonstrated above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220908_204010.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	166511
              Penetrations, weld lines, access plates, and even overall geometry of these boats was as varied as the sub-contractors and yards that horridly slapped these things together in anticipation of the eventual amphibious landings that were to befall the Home Islands. Two eggs put all that to rest.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                Commander
                • Nov 2020

Yes, the semi-circular holes! The bar type thingies are more correctly known as "grab irons". I see you teasing me with the master hull for the Foxtrot! You *******!!!! Currently working on her sail. That's where I want to replicate those steps. I do use the drill hole, insert half-round plastic rod, glue trim, fill, sand, repeat on the larger scale hulls. The cast resin sail isn't as easy as one would think it to be, due to thickness and the rough inside of the sail half. I'll get 'er though!!!!!! BTW, know where I can get an anchor for her? There was a missing sprue tree and some other stuff not included when this beast was purchased, way back when.

Thank you, David, just what I was hoping for!

Take care,

Bill

Comment

• SubICman
                  Lieutenant
                  • Jun 2022

Penetrations, weld lines, access plates, and even overall geometry of these boats was as varied as the sub-contractors and yards that horridly slapped these things together in anticipation of the eventual amphibious landings that were to befall the Home Islands. Two eggs put all that to rest.

David
                  True. That's what makes these nice to model. It's your choice, nothing within reason is wrong

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, the semi-circular holes! The bar type thingies are more correctly known as "grab irons". I see you teasing me with the master hull for the Foxtrot! You *******!!!! Currently working on her sail. That's where I want to replicate those steps. I do use the drill hole, insert half-round plastic rod, glue trim, fill, sand, repeat on the larger scale hulls. The cast resin sail isn't as easy as one would think it to be, due to thickness and the rough inside of the sail half. I'll get 'er though!!!!!! BTW, know where I can get an anchor for her? There was a missing sprue tree and some other stuff not included when this beast was purchased, way back when.

Thank you, David, just what I was hoping for!

Take care,

Bill
                    Tooling on the 1/72 FOXTROT was never completed, Bill. But all masters and what tools I did make are in Bob's hands. What I was working on was my GRP hull, not the master, I assume Bob got them when Mike Caswell turned the business over to him -- but I'm not sure of that. Check with Bob.

Here, let me twist that knife a bit more... does it hurt yet?!. https://youtu.be/wJ0Sxr2gvV8

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Dave,

Show us your "Jacob's Ladder"!!
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                        Dave,

Show us your "Jacob's Ladder"!!
                        In my world a Jacob's Ladder is a portable, flexible ladder strung over the side, consisting of rope and wooden steps. Don't remember modeling one of those, Bob.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                          Commander
                          • Nov 2020

Ed,
                          You were in charge of the ships sewing machine, so get you thread out and knit one! )
                          David,
                          I don't believe you shanked me! I think it was a healthy pinch with lock-wire pliers, followed by a good yank! At least that's what this Lower-level Louie would do! ;) What, were you trying to corner the world supply of Dremel tools, too?

Thank you for those additional pictures! They will augment my other research files nicely!

Take care, All!

Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ed,
                            You were in charge of the ships sewing machine, so get you thread out and knit one! )
                            David,
                            I don't believe you shanked me! I think it was a healthy pinch with lock-wire pliers, followed by a good yank! At least that's what this Lower-level Louie would do! ;) What, were you trying to corner the world supply of Dremel tools, too?

Thank you for those additional pictures! They will augment my other research files nicely!

Take care, All!

Bill
                            Still got my lockwire pliers from the WEBSTER days. Serv-Mart special!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Nice thingamajig.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...