Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Wow, my friend, I like the tip on glazing and scrub lines.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

I can smell the diesel exhaust and clam bellies already!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

So modelers would like to reproduce black diesel smoke which we know can't be done, but maybe have that diesel and fishy smell around a model? How would that be Bob?

More about the lines for you Tom.

This is the look I’m going for, well close to it.

With the lines I scribed on the boat as they are, when I paint the hull it will look like this. These lines are too deep or pronounced for my liking.

This is a test piece on scrap polyester resin sheet. The left side would be the original scribed lines. The right side is the filled in lines. This looks closer to what I'm looking for.

David suggested using this glazing putty. I have a few spreaders I made from scrap acrylic which worked well. I filed the working edge down on both sides.

The putty was spread on the hull and pressed into the scribed lines, which made a mess on the hull. So I didn't have to sand that mess I wiped it down with acetone on a paper towel. That also created a convex into the scribed line. David said it would shrink enough to give me the effect I was looking for but I just didn’t want to do more sanding, si I wiped it down. Unless there was another way I could apply it without making the mess.

This is the final result. For those lines that were scribed shallow, when I wiped down the hull it wiped away the glazing there. All the scribed lines don’t need to look perfect, after all it’s a painted planked weathered hull with irregularities.

Will have to wait and see how it looks after it’s primed white and painted white. The glazing comes in red, white and gray. Did not want to use red, too dark for a white top coat, might bleed thru. Could not find anyone that carried white, so gray it was. Bought it on Amazon, pricey. Hopefully the gray does not bleed thru the primer and top coats. Any suggestions to prevent bleed thru?

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160929_120318620.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	145954 Those lines are very difficult thing to duplicate - My Pacemaker is a less commercial look than your party boat, but the planking is the same carvel plank with boatlife between to seal. I chose to use no filler between planks to fair and after prime coat squeegeed in some latex caulking and then wiped the calking out of the seam as needed for the look I wanted with a wet rag (water). When dried, finish paint coats were sprayed -That nitrostan can be messy and the acetone for cleanup might ruin prior coatings. I figured that the latex calk would flex like the 1:1 boatlife . It might be worth experimenting the method-BG

The transom planks just have edging done black before installation and gold leaf(real)has strategic scrapes to duplicate what we did when pulling a 7ft blue shark in over the transom.- the varnish was applied as to duplicate the finish that the owner (my Dad) wound up with as years of refinishing had been done.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

I didn't need to worry about prior coatings, was going directly on the epoxy surface. It seemed to work well in my case. Of course tested before doing it on the boat. Anyone would need to use something other than acetone if doing this on a plastic hull of some sorts.

My transom is stained and coated with clear epoxy. Once I apply the decals from Callie when ready, will be coating with many layers of urethane.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Scuppers are done. Tedious work. Happy Holidays all you model builders!

Name:	zIMG_2605 copy.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	146127

Name:	zIMG_2606 copy.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	146128

Name:	zIMG_2607 copy.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	146129

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

I am need of suggestions. For this boat I need to add the aft spray rail into the hull. I need to cut a slice in the hull to add the spray rails. I have a cheapo Dremel vice holder but the Dremel body would interfere with the hull if the hull was upside down or right side up so I cannot make the cut. I thought of making a Dremel holder like David made in order to cut slices in submarine hulls but I have not yet until I get a better idea.

These are the spray rails. They are 3/32" thick. A Dremel cut off wheel is about 1/32" thick. They still need to be cut to shape.

The yellow line is where the spray rail goes. It goes from the transom to 12" up the side.

The transom where it goes.

I was thinking of using a straight edge and scribe the line then maybe use the hobby razor saw to get the opening bigger then a fine file to finish off the slot. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pull-Razor-Hobby-Blades/dp/B08VRHNN5Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=CWTEE6BBVFJ2&keywords=hobby+sa w&qid=1679340444&sprefix=hobby+saw%2Caps %2 C107&sr=8-5

Any suggestions? David always comes up with something good.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

I eventually figured out a method to get the 3/32 slot I needed. This slot is for a rub rail most boats of this type have around the aft end of the boat. After careful measurements, I placed double faced tape on either side of the slot location. I placed one piece of metal bar on the tape. I used 3/32 spacers to place the second piece. I then used a razor saw which has a very thin kerf to it to slice into the approximately 0.040 epoxy and 3/32 wood hull sides.

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	170377

You can see the razor saw, bottom right. I removed the handle which gave me more control.

Name:	IMG_0015 copy.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	170380

Finished slots. Also cleaned them up with a file.

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	170378

Here's a rub rail in place. They will eventually be epoxied in place once I'm done fitting them.

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	170379

Here's the rub rail on the real boat.

Name:	BMS0017_AmericanEagleDrydockMay2002.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	170381

This might be a good method to split the hull on the Bronco XXIII when I get to that.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Made some struts. They look so good all shiny. They will eventually be painted with bottom paint and have zincs applied. A bronze bearing will be inserted to support the shaft. I used sliver bearing solder on these.

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	170384

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	170386

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	170385

Name:	IMG_0756.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	170387

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Also made a few rudders. Made drawings for two sizes.

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	170389

The rudders and shafts were both slotted. Added an additional hole for more solder.

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	170394

Used silver bearing solder. The rudder was placed on a hot plate with small pieces of solder sliced with a razor and strategically placed.

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	170390

Close up.

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	170391

First I made the smaller size rudders.

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	170392

Then I thought they were too small. So I made a second larger set. The larger set foots the bill.

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	170393

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

More brass items.

These are exhaust ports that will be on the transom. They still need to be trimmed down and painted black.

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	172486

Made some rollers on the lathe. These are for the anchor roller in the next pictures.

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	172487

And here is the bow roller for the anchor.

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	172483

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	172482

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	172485

With a trial fit of the anchor

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	172484

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Excellent brass work on display here, Ken.

I hate you!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Yeah, what he said!
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

I hate trying to solder brass. I guess flux is the key.
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Bob Gato
                                Captain
                                • Feb 2019

Sweet job on the davit Ken- did you make the Danforth also...

Yes Casey : clean it, flux it, heat it... Use the right solder

Comment

Working...